Sign in to follow this  
Guest critter 42

2.2.6 CDBXPP disappears on drag-n-drop [Fixed]

Guest critter 42

I'm trying to create an audio CD. I browse to the folder where the files I want to put on the CD are located. I try to drag-n-drop the files to the compilation window. If the file is a WAV file, as soon as I let go of the mouse button, CDBXPP closes immediately with no error. If the file is a WMA file, I get 3 "unknown error" boxes and then it disappears immediately. In both cases, no error is generated in the Event Viewer as well.

OS - WinXP w/ SP1

P4 2GHz CPU

512MB RAM

2 GB HD space free (36GB total)

WMFDist has been installed

This is the first time I have ever used CDBXPP

Anyone ever seen this?

critter42

Guest critter42

nope, haven't tried those formats yet - I'll experiment when I get home tonight. However, I did reboot - both after installing WMFDist, after installing CDBXPP, then again after it crashed the first time. Every WAV file I tried in a couple of different directories on different drives did the same thing.

Also, I can't add - the 36GB total HD capacity should be 32.4GB.

Oh, I forgot to mention I have an unusual setup:

I have 3 physical drives, two 13GB and one 6.4GB, as drives C, D and E.

XP Pro is on Drive D and is the boot drive, XP's swap file is on Drive E, and the Program Files folder and location of most of my songs is on Drive C. The burner is Drive F.

On the actual IDE controller - Drive C is Primary Master, Drive D is Primary Slave, and Drive E is Secondary Slave. The burner is Secondary Master.

Drive C is FAT32 and Drives D and E are NTFS

(yes, this baby is a real Frankenstein, consisting of all the salvagable pieces from past computers I've owned :) )

critter42

nope, haven't tried those formats yet - I'll experiment when I get home tonight.

However, I did reboot - both after installing WMFDist, after installing CDBXPP, then again after it crashed the first time. Every WAV file I tried in a couple of different directories on different drives did the same thing.

OK :)

BTW, for installing you won't have to restart, at least I had no problems yet without rebooting...

Also, I can't add - the 36GB total HD capacity should be 32.4GB.

What can't you add? Your wohle drive? That won't fit on a disc yet :D

Oh, I forgot to mention I have an unusual setup:

I have 3 physical drives, two 13GB and one 6.4GB, as drives C, D and E.

XP Pro is on Drive D and is the boot drive, XP's swap file is on Drive E, and the Program Files folder and location of most of my songs is on Drive C. The burner is Drive F.

My Setup is also a bit unusual, but that shouldn't matter.

On the actual IDE controller - Drive C is Primary Master, Drive D is Primary Slave, and Drive E is Secondary Slave. The burner is Secondary Master.

Drive C is FAT32 and Drives D and E are NTFS

(yes, this baby is a real Frankenstein, consisting of all the salvagable pieces from past computers I've owned :) )

critter42

Did you already checked if maybe programs like Antivirus etc. deny CDBXPP access to the files?

OK, now that I've actually registered :)

Yep, I actually disabled my antivirus, verified my ASPI layer is ok (should have been fine - I've been using Nero for several years w/out a problem). I had been using WindowsBlinds, but I unloaded that, disabled it from startup and rebooted...still crash on drag-n-drop.

Is there another way to add a file other than d-n-d (like an Add File to compilation menu item that'll let me use the standard Windows browse for file dialogue) that I can try when I get home?

Yes, there is a way to add fils without drag and drop. Select all the files/folders you want to add in local browser, then rightclick on CD layout and choose "Add selected files/folders".

I currently have to idea what could cause your problem...

OK, I think I figured it out.

When I hover the mouse over the WAVs I'm trying to burn, the tooltip that pops up says "ACM codec IEEE Float not installed" - but it plays fine in Media Player :P - doesn't that mean the codec is installed??. I tried a WAV that I knew I had the codec for, and it loaded into the compilation fine. I guess CDBXPP doesn't recognize the WAV format or this format is different than what CDBXPP expects and doesn't handle it gracefully (ie throw an error up that says "I don't know this file")...add this to the "bug" file?

I'm still getting the "Unknown error" trying to add wma files though...(MP3s work fine - I don't have any OGG files to test)

Ok, the problem is, that CDBXPP only supports standard wav (PCM) files. That's why it doen't work. There should be an error message instead of shutdown.

However, I don't know a solution for wma-files yet...did you try different ones (different bitrates)?

I will do some tests about that in a few minutes and let you know about the result. I will try to add different formats of WAV-files and WMA files. I have a suspicion :roll:

Hm, I did several tests with WAV (different sample rates/mono-stereo/different bitrates) and had no problems with Drag and Drop, even when using another Codec I had on my system. However, using wma, I could not add any file :shock:

Everytime (3 times) an "Unknown Error" message.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.