Sign in to follow this  
pstein

Why CDburnerXP not portable ?

I installed CDburnerXP on my harddisc and copied the installation folder afterwards to my USB stick.

I wanted to be able to run CDburnerXP later from this stick on various computers.

Unfortunately CdburnerXP is NOT working correctly when I plug the USB stick into by notebook

and ran it there.

That's pity.

Could you make CDburnerXP portable in the next version ?

Peter

Guest coredump_

Seeing as CDBurnerXP is now written in .net, that doesn't seem feasible. The only portable solutions that come to mind is IIRC deep burner or infrarecorder

Seeing as CDBurnerXP is now written in .net, that doesn't seem feasible.

What do you want to say? That .NET makes it impossible to write portable software ?

Can I forward this statement to Microsoft ?

Stop kidding.

I think so long as you are not creating registry entries that CDburnerXP will depend on in order to properly function it should be "portable". I put quotes in there because it will be portable in the sense of plugging your USB drive into a computer and running the program, but the limitation would be that .NET be present on that computer.

I have written a program of my own in VB2005 and it's portable in this way. Just so long as .NET 2.0 is installed on the host machine it will run.

Checked it now and seems to be possible (although I can only partially test it in a virtual machine since no burning device is available). If it can be done, expect it for the next release.

If it can be done, expect it for the next release.

The next release is here and I can see a comment that says it can be ran from a USB device. But how? Do we set the USB drive as the installation path? Or do we simply copy the "CDBurnerXP" folder from "Program Files" (after we've installed it) onto a USB drive? Or is there a ZIP version somewhere that we download and extract?

Guest joby_toss

Hi!

Same problem here!

WinXPhome>CDburnerXP 4.0.015>install>copy folder>uninstall>launch application>create data disc>drag folder to compilation>app. FREEZE ...

Version 4.0.013 didn't even start so this is the right way.

Hope you fix this!

Thank you for this amazing (free) program!

Guest oleole

I'm not sure but .net 2.0 won't run exes from network drives if these drives are not trusted.

Do you have System.Security exception ?

BR,

oleole