Sign in to follow this  
floele

Looking for new / refreshed icon

Hi everyone.

We are looking for a designer who can design a new icon for our program :-)

Preferably it is just a "refreshed" version of the current icon, so that the new icon can be associated to CDBXP if you know the previous icons. We'd also need a new image for the about-, new project- and "cdburnerxp on the web" dialog.

The icon needs to be provided in all sizes - that includes 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 128x128 and 256x256 - both at least in 32 bit colors with alpha channel and 16 bit. 256 colors wouldn't hurt either. If you'd like to do that, simply create a sample for the 32x32 and 128x128 sizes and show it. If we like it, you can design the remaining icons. Any contributions are appreciated :-)

If we use your icon, we will of course add you to the credits.

Hi,

OK, I am a professional designer. I could create an icon according to all official Vista-compatible icon design guidelines (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx).

Do you want the same (or very similar) icon with BLUE disc, OR Vista-style METALLIC disc?

I saw during CDBurnerXP install process, there is another "icon" with flaming metallic disc. Is it your new icon prototype?

I could make a BLUE-METALLIC disc, should be very nice. I will send you the samples.

BTW, who designed all the icons on toolbars and dialogue windows? All those icons looks very well.

OK, I am a professional designer. I could create an icon according to all official Vista-compatible icon design guidelines (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx).

Would be much appreciated :-)

Do you want the same (or very similar) icon with BLUE disc, OR Vista-style METALLIC disc?

Yes, similar to that. The icon in the installer is more of a generic icon.

BTW, who designed all the icons on toolbars and dialogue windows? All those icons looks very well.

I actually have no idea. Stefan is the one who "gathered" the icons.

Hm, basically it looks nice, but I'd have to suggestions: The "XP" is not necessary, and the 32x icon looks somewhat tiny...should probably make more use of the available space :-)

@Nucleo: Seems like I missed you.

1. No real deadline.

2. We need a large scaled icon anyway, so the about screen is rather simple to do then. You may, but not must design it.

3. Reply here, or send us an email/PM with links.

@lanzarin: The 32x icon is better like that, but I still think that the theme is somewhat too generic.

@nucleo: While the icons are basically well done, I'm not so happy with the "angel" idea :?

Flo, what don't you like about the current icon?

What do you like in the current icon?

What are you looking for in a new icon?

What do you feel defines an icon for CDBurnerXP?

For example, I would think the colour of the disc is significant and perhaps the direction of the flame.

I think most submissions are going for more realistic detail compared to the icon you have now, is this what you feel is generic? Would you like something less realistic and stylised - like what you currently have but obviously using a different style that doesn't involve approaching realism?

I think most submissions are going for more realistic detail compared to the icon you have now, is this what you feel is generic?

No. They are generic because they're basically just a burning disc. Our current icon looks somewhat like a disc, but it's a bit different with the small wings on the side and the color.

Flo, what don't you like about the current icon?

That it's been in use for ages now ;)

Also, I don't like the refreshed version of the icon we have since ver. 3.5. Liked v. 3.0.116 better. Also, we need the 128 and 256 sizes we currently don't have.

What do you like in the current icon?

In partcular, its recognisability even as small sized icon.

What are you looking for in a new icon?

It should look a bit more modern - maybe more "glass effects" or something. I'm not a designer.

What do you feel defines an icon for CDBurnerXP?

For example, I would think the colour of the disc is significant and perhaps the direction of the flame.

For me it's the wings I'd say.

Where can we see this icon with the wings? I have 4.0 and the icon is a burning disc, which is probably why you are getting so many people creating a generic burning disc icons :) I thought the icon on this forum was also a burning disc (although the flame is obviously simplified). Can you post a version of it?

These "notes" are wings. Without feathers though. Imagine the disc is flying, driven by the flame. :)

So do you want wings (i.e. something that looks like wings), or pieces of paper?

EDIT: Sorry if it seems I'm being a nag. It's just that if you can nail down your requirements people can make sure the icons they make fit your criteria

I think if You would like to have a really good looking, useful icon which symbolizes sleekly CDBXP and works well on different resolutions, You shouldn't insist on the old icon.

Why not? The old icon is perfect, just that we need a bigger size. At the same time a visual refresh wouldn't hurt.

Hi all,

I think, Nucleo icon is the best :)

Flo, do you agree to make it CD Burner XP icon? This time say YES :D

2 Nucleo:

Don't create 128x128, 64x64, 24x24 icons -- those sizes are not standard.

Standard icon sizes (and color depths) are:

48x48 (4bit)

32x32 (4bit)

16x16 (4bit)

48x48 (8bit)

32x32 (8bit)

16x16 (8bit)

256x256 (32bit)

48x48 (32bit)

32x32 (32bit)

16x16 (32bit)

Look here:

Icon design guidelines (WinVista): http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx

Icon design guidelines (WinXP): http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx

Note: VISTA guide is incomplete, so look at XP guide first.

P.S. Sorry, I absolutely had no free time to contribute myself. But I think, Nucleo icon is the winner :)