Sign in to follow this  
haiku

avi to dvd - can 4.0.015 do it like 3.0.116 could?

My headline isn't accurate, of course: the earlier version couldn't convert avi to dvd itself; rather, the Help file gave detailed instructions about how to get avi files onto a dvd that plays in a dvd player, using TMPGenc, of which only the discontinued v12a is free, along with DVD styler.

My question is this:

Does the latest version have a similar capability?

Does it too require TMPGenc, and if so, how can I obtain the free version? Apparently it used to be available for download from cdburnerxp.se but is no longer, and I can't find it with google or p2p.

I use v3.0.116 because (A) it doesn't require .NET and (B) if it ain't broke, don't fix it - i.e., my version works fine, so I see no reason to upgrade.

thanks for a great program

We do not have a help file yet, that's the main problem. But version 4 does have better DVD burning capabilities than version 3 (UDF file system). If it works for you, you should still upgrade because of 1) version 3 contains a major security hole and 2) version 4 has a nicer interface :)

But version 4 does have better DVD burning capabilities than version 3 (UDF file system). If it works for you, you should still upgrade because of 1) version 3 contains a major security hole

okay, sounds like I would be able to do avi-to-dvd as long as I save the instructions from v3 somewhere on my computer, and if I can track down TMPGenc v12a.

Umm, [bEGIN humble supplication] if anyone out there wants to PM me, perhaps we could arrange something via Rapidshare, Megaupload or email??? [END humble supplication]

- Will consider v4, but about the CDBurnerXP runtime package: is it unreliable / unstable / etc?

I really would like to avoid .NET. I know it's a sensitive subject here. My thoughts are: For a non-expert, the overwhelming evidence from past experience shows that any large mysterious thing from Microsoft should always be avoided *unless there is clear proof that it is necessary, unavoidable, and not harmful or annoying* (must be all 4) :firefox:

- Finally, what is UDF, or rather, how is it useful to me? Tried Wikipedia; it gives more of a technical description.

I only tested the runtime package once, and it worked. Other than that - it's your own risk.

UDF is basically a file system that's required to burn Video-DVDs with full compatibility to DVD players.

If you fear .NET then you'll get a problem in near future, since any future Windows OS including Vista will have .NET preinstalled.

I only tested the runtime package once, and it worked. Other than that - it's your own risk.

UDF is basically a file system that's required to burn Video-DVDs with full compatibility to DVD players.

If you fear .NET then you'll get a problem in near future, since any future Windows OS including Vista will have .NET preinstalled.

That's why I decided a long time ago my next computer will be a Mac.