Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vectorspace

Overburning

Guest Vectorspace

I have searched the forum so I know that Overburning in CDBurnerXP is possible but unsupported. Still, I have two questions if anyone can help.

When you try to burn something that is beyond the maximum size of the media, you get this message:

The current compilation contains more data than the reported free space on the media. Do you want to continue?

If I click Yes it will then try to burn it. Will it then overburn if it can, or do I need to do something else?

I have attempted it three times, to burn 4529.19 MB to a DVD+RW (overburn of 46.56MB)

Each time I got this error:

Device error:(336128) Could not write to Disc (LBA: 2295104 Length: 32).

Logical Block Address Out Of Range. -0x052100

What precisely does this error indicate? If it means my drive cannot overburn then I know I can give up. On the other hand, if it just means CDBurner XP or my chosen media can't, then all I need is better media and/or different burning software.

What kind of DVD? Does it have some kind of protection? (It could result in larger image files) Is it single layer, or dual? Maybe it was "overburned" to begin with. I also think that the filesystem it has might play a certain role.

For what it's worth, I just successfully overburned a CD (although by a very small margin). It would be nice to know how far I can push it (on CDs) before I start making coasters.

Guest Paul Fennema

Hello,

How were you able to 'overburn' a CD? When I try to burn something on a CD which is a bit bigger than the CD size, CDBurner comes back with a dialog in which I only can choose between cancel and eject. I don't get the choice to continue anyway.

Regards, Paul Fennema

Guest Peter Renner

Since any kind of burning software exists: overburning a media, regardless whether it is CD/DVD/whatever, is always a risk.

Only the given capacity which is printed on the jewel case/packaging/media is "safe" and working.

Guest Manny

Paul,

You have to get the latest version and then when you're prompted about the data being to large for the capacity of the disk, when you see the eject, cancel buttons, now with this new version you will notice how it has a little drop-down on the eject button that gives you the overburn feature. Use it with care!

However the very last bit of data that is being overburned, may be corrupted. It has to do with the media and the burner itself. It all varies greatly.

Good luck! 8)

Hello,

How were you able to 'overburn' a CD? When I try to burn something on a CD which is a bit bigger than the CD size, CDBurner comes back with a dialog in which I only can choose between cancel and eject. I don't get the choice to continue anyway.

Regards, Paul Fennema