do we need NMSAccessU service?

Greetings all,

Found NMSAccessU service set as Automatic.

.....\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe

I googled searching for it' description. The information written "out there" wasn't very clear.

Some said it may be set manual.. some advices are to disable... found one stating that it's kinda even a bug that it is listed as a service.

So I decided to ask here:

do we need NMSAccessU service, what for specifically, and if we do - should it be Auto or Manual?

Thanks in advance

My regards

Hi Flo,

Thanks for reply

Yes that's what I did prior to posting initial message ...

"this is bug" - that is how one request ended ????

and another talks about msi and Manual installation and stuff ???? but I am the only user so why of Security Policies should bother me to access CD/DVD ????

Let's say... I have the same question as posted initially.

My regards

thanks Flo,

the link you provided brings me to the same page I've seen already

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

I'll find the answer somewhere else or by experimenting

take care

{Edited}

spent 3.75 minutes

Service disabled... Box Restarted

Files added to multi-session Data CD and verified successfully...

Other stuff will check later

Thanks

Flo,

I have to apologize, as I see it now.

I looked back to my previous post and this sentence of mine: "I'll find the answer somewhere else "

sounds not right....

Sorry...English is not my first language... I did not mean to offend you

But after the revision I see that it could be taken as a bit rude or at least having negative flavour

I hope you understand and will accept the apology.

my regards

SwampCat

Nope, you didn't offend me. But I'm not quite sure whether or not your problem is solved now.

Thanks

Strictly, saying it may not be considered as "solved"

having some blurry info about Security Policies regarding the service in question without proper detailed explanations

and testing some areas of CDBurnerXP, which look like functioning fine when service is Disabled for sure is not an answer, but rather a guess that it may not be needed.

At the same time being so "unfortunate" to come from a programming world :) and having experience with computers tell me that service shouldn't have been introduced "just because...". So it would be nice to know when it is important to stay alive and when it may be ignored/disabled without any implications.

Cheers

• 1 year later...
Guest Mikel

Well simply answering the question (together with the link to the other thread) would have kept this thread on two postings.

Sometimes (surprisingly often) 'RTFM'-Answers don't make things clear and just enleghten the discussion.

So to answer the Question: The process (running with administrator rights) forwards access to CD/DVD burning functions to programs running without administrator rights. Usually, Non-Admins (or more precisely, Users not having the 'burn' right, which is by default only given to administrators and user in the 'burners' group by the default policies) cannot acces DVD writers and the software won't show them up.

If you're using your system with full admin rights (as most XP users do), the process does not need to run.

Normally, a (real) admin should make sure that all users who are allowed to use the writer, are added to the proper user group. But 99% of all XP users are no real Admins and don't know about policies. Even if they know about the risks of using an admin account for daily work and have a separate user account. And since a software may not change the policies, someone smart invented a way to circumvent the policies instead.

A typical example for a piece of software which is totally superfluous on a correctly administered system.

• 1 month later...
Guest gaillamarra@msn.com

What is "NMSAccessU.exe", and more importantly [when] is it required?

I wish I knew more about tagging text so it’s optimally picked up by search engines. I would certainly do just that in response to Mikel's very clear, succinct answer to this long burning question. I've been looking for this answer off/on well over a year now.

Thanks, Mikel, for making my desktop time a little less annoying. ;-)

For the record once again, Mikel’s answer to the question “do we need NMSAccessU service?”

So to answer the Question: The process (running with administrator rights) forwards access to CD/DVD burning functions to programs running without administrator rights. Usually, Non-Admins (or more precisely, Users not having the 'burn' right, which is by default only given to administrators and user in the 'burners' group by the default policies) cannot access DVD writers and the software won't show them up.

If you're using your system with full admin rights (as most XP users do), the process does not need to run.

Normally, a (real) admin should make sure that all users who are allowed to use the writer, are added to the proper user group. But 99% of all XP users are no real Admins and don't know about policies. Even if they know about the risks of using an admin account for daily work and have a separate user account. And since a software may not change the policies, someone smart invented a way to circumvent the policies instead.

A typical example for a piece of software which is totally superfluous on a correctly administered system.

Thanks again and take care,

gail

• 2 months later...
Guest Annihilator

The NMSAccessU Service (and Nero BurnRights) are completely and utterly redundant. Only two policy settings need to be modified in order to get CD/DVD drives to "write" for non-Admin users:

* Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only - Enable

* Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media - Administrators and Interactive Users

• 7 months later...
Guest fabiendu44

I have trouble with nmsaccessU under windows 7 x64 home prem. i even BSOD with 0x0000007e 7a 0a. with memory mine 4Gbs DDR3 are OK, in viewer events i see "! error !" nmsaccessU "....himself stop...." CDburnerXP will be verified for windows 7 x64., please.