Sign in to follow this  
dohling

Data DVD compilation unburnable 2nd time around

...weird!

Day before yesterday, I compiled a DVD, and got it burned without any issue or problems in running it. All data, mixed media, was checked for health.

Today, I wanted to burn the very same .dxp file to give that comp to a friend, and on attempting to burn it, CDBurnerXP claims that the comp now is about 10 MB too large (see attachment).

I've not seen that request the other day!

Then, on selecting "overburn", the burn window opened, I selected "finalize" (like the other day, and clicked "burn", whereupon the request came up again. I selected overburn again, and got my medium spit back out with the note that disk space wasn't sufficient.

Apart from that amount of clicks for a fail, and being a nuisance - what on Earth is an overburn option good for if it doesn't work?

Why not throw it out?

It would be nice to have, but why nag people whith having to click it just to get nothing in return?

I checked and re-checked - which wouold have been much easier if there was some display of the numberof files in any individual folder, and not just the general number of files in hte compilation, btw. - and the files are EXACTLY the same and EVERYTHING on the DVD works fine.

But the main issue is, obviously: How can a saved compilation be fine on the one day, and burn lovely, and then a minim too large the other day, and be refused?!

Also, I thought the size for a DVD was 4,7 in GB, or for short, and not 4,38 Gigs?! (See the other attachment)

I need that DVD fast, to send out for Xmas, so I might have to use some other software, which does enable overburn when it says so - which is bad, because this worked fine so far, looks good, and is easy to use.

I'd be rather miffed having to re-complie the whole thing, but I think I might try.

First, now I'll try to burn a direct copy of yesterday's burn. Hope sound and image quality won't suffer, but then, why should they..

I'll try just change one item first, re-adding it, and see what that does, then I will uninstall the current version and revert to the old one, to see if that's the issue, and report back.

I do not remember whether I followed the update option before or after completing the compiling and burning, but i am pretty sure it was before, like halfways, so...

... weird...

I am a already miffed, but then, this is a gift (or nearly) ;-)

This is a threat to post more vile poetry if this isn't solved soon!

Atb -

Dohling

PS. Apparently, I can't chose "burn in one go" (oh, what is the word?!) anywhere??

PPS: this is what it says in the "edit label" option: CDBURNERXP 4.4.2.3442

post-57083-0-79522000-1355506179_thumb.j

post-57083-0-24438200-1355507297_thumb.j

The obvious question is: What changed? The "required" space or the "available" space?

Possibility 1: One of the files you want to burn increased in size (for whatever reason). Then the whole compilation might no longer fit. Obvious.

Possibility 2: You used a different brand of DVD-R and has a little more free space on it. The usable disc size may differ from the theoretically available one.

I don't think this should be considered a bug.

Update / first test:

19:33 lt - direct copy started fine -> IF it finishes allright, CDBurnerXP will pe permitted to remain on my HD :evilgrin:

19:40 lt - that dratted request for a larger medium re-appeared (see att.2 to o-post). Alfer half a DVD burned, mind.

The Overburn option was accepted!

(No idea how liong it was idling until I noticed.)

19:50 Copy is alive and well and everything seems to work.

Please do explain, floele or whoever's in charge here!

Ps: I'm from Germany, new here, and want to say

HI!!

Hi floele, thanks for the reply.

To answer: neither, and I SWEAR to that.

I've not touched any files exept to play them, and if THAT started fattening data, we'd be in BIG trouble!

to add, selfquote

> I SWEAR to that

What do you think I've done for about 2 hours, besides being mystified?!

I've looked at every single file at least twice, asking myself "what have I done to you in the last 48 hours", but n/a.

Please don't be touchy, I'm not one to these "post first think later" trolls that haunt every forum, honestly.

While of course I can't totally preclude the possibility that it still is my mistake, I just can't see how, so I posted here.

Dohling

You still didn't tell me which of these two cases you have though.

(And believe me, I've seen people swear all kinds of things that weren't even remotely true.)

Update:

just deleting a file and re-adding itd oesn't change a thing, and why should it.

But don't say such exists, or is impossible, there was magic and more magic once.

And there still is microsoft, at the foundations of all this.

I really don't feel like re-assemling the whole compilation,if it very likely will not take hours again, but I've got other things to do.

Dohling

> So will you anser my question or not?

You're not very friendly, are you? You ought to grateful that people bother to report issues with your program! Try and consider it a kind of gratitude and concern.

I don't think the tone of my posts merits that sort of tone on your side, I'm losing the good will rapidly - I am really sorry, but I just had to eat something intermittently.

And try out some more with that not-always working CDBurnerXP, including a tricky screenshot to post to you.

There is a life in the kitchen, too, you know. Maybe several, even, counting that in the corners.

You still didn't tell me which of these two cases you have though.

(And believe me, I've seen people swear all kinds of things that weren't even remotely true.)

Sure, but I dont know which cases you refer to?

Possibility 1: One of the files you want to burn increased in size (for whatever reason). Then the whole compilation might no longer fit. Obvious.

Possibility 2: You used a different brand of DVD-R and has a little more free space on it. The usable disc size may differ from the theoretically available one.

If you mean those, then, again, neither, as I wrote!

I've used the same kind of TDK inkjet-printable recordables from the same pack on all occasions. None other in the house at the moment.

(I don't print them, it's just for the better protection of the upper side.)

Would a different brand really make for 10 MB +/-?

In any case, it worked the first time, and didn't the second.

Now, things get weirder still, but MAYBE there's half an explanation in sight:

Can it be that different drives allow for different usable disc size??

I know that not every drive likes every brand, but I'd not heard of different brands of DVDs rendering different amounts of space for data either.

In that case, anyhow, a working overburn / underburn option, preferably with a slider for the greedy, becomes a necessity!

A DVD brand recommendation might be helpful too, but there's still the difference in drives, and it would probably be of rather short-term value anyway.

Could a thing like disabling or impeding direct copies be part of the nastier, stupider, and more illegal, copy-prevention schemes on the side of the industry?

So.

Just for the hell of it, I tried to burn another copy, but with the drives exchanged.

I have a rather old NEC and a slightly younger LG that both have being doing the job fine so far, if the NEC is a bit picky and touchy sometimes.

And guess what.

It didn't work, and this occurrence is reproducible. (see attachment)

With the NEC as the taker, the status bar jumps to 50% on clicking start and the demand for a larger medium pops up (or maybe the other way round, since the status bar is still void, also you can see the window coming up (screen ending on NEC), but only for instants - hardly enough time to select and click overburn.

Which is impossible at that point anyway - the dropdown menue does not work in this constellation, I noticed when I finally was fast enough.

Then the status bar jumps back to zero and the process is terminated (reverting to source/ target window).

The medium seems still useable, unlike with Nero in cases of termination on the onset.

HMPF.

After the first attempt, I had trouble finishing and restarting the program. The Task Manager showed two copies/ processes running.

Eventually CDBXP was up again, I changed the drives back, and - this time, the DVD was messed up and is unreadable even though I chose slow speed, and the process seemed to finish okay, if a little fast at 15 mins.

The Taskmanager did not show 2 processes at the time, but after the WinExplorer had tried to read the DVD and failed, and I closed some windows - there was CDBXP again, now demanding more disc space/ the overburn option!

So there MUST have been two processes, right?? If I'd seen the other one in time, I'd not have messed up the copy, it must have been in the background. I might have opened the programm twice accidentially, but this shouldn't happen in any case I think.

If the disc had been corrupt to start with, CDBXP surely would have reported it?

Dohling

PS. This is a fairly new double-core Win7-64 setup, regularly updated.

The original copy, 2 days over, was burned on the NEC because CDBurnerXP did at that time not recognise the LG, I remember. I wasn't happy, but WTF, so I went ahead.

Today, the saved .dxp file won't work with either drive, and the surplus amount of data shown in the display is identical, so it can't really be that different brands of drives allow for disc space, can it?

post-57083-0-22239600-1355520231_thumb.j

post-57083-0-92495900-1355520234_thumb.j

You're not very friendly, are you?

You ought to grateful that people bother to report issues with your program!

In regard to gratefulness: Please keep in mind that I'm offering this application for free and even spend my free time supporting it as good as I can.

I'm not being unfriendly here, I just want to cut this discussion short and focus on the relevant issues (saving you and me time). There's a whole lot of support requests (also per e-mail, even though I officially don't provide personal e-mail support), and if everyone confronted me with a wall of text as you do, I'd not have enough time helping everyone.

So my original one and only question was:

The obvious question is: What changed? The "required" space or the "available" space?

If I condense your essays, it would seem that you have burned the original compilation with CDBurnerXP 4.4.* and now try to burn it with 4.5, leaving media and drives more or less unchanged.

This may not work for these reasons:

1. The new burning engine uses an updated disc file system for burning data. The "required" disc space might increase for the file system structure alone. If you are currently burning with UDF, try ISO/Joliet instead or vice versa and check if that makes a difference. Might be that one of them requires less space (UDF is recommended though, since it has less restrictions).

2. The new burning engine assumes a larger lead-in/lead-out area than the previous one, thus resulting in less "available" disc space for actual data. Maybe this has to be discussed with StarBurn, I am not sure to which extent this behaviour is required.

I am experiencing this same symptom - I have burnt my photo history exclusively with your software, something around 4TB worth, anyways, for a single example I burnt a disc in mid November no issue, today under the UDF file system it states I am 11.93MB over and on Joliet it states I am 10.79MB over. My data is triple redundant on mechanical hardware and double redundant on optical - I read the data off one disc and attempted to burn it to another disc (same brand, same batch - Verbatim DataLifePlus) and experienced the same result (over by 11.93MB and 10.79MB).

I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this product, it is fantastic.