Sign in to follow this  
fnukyguy

4.0.024.439 very high cpu usage

Same here. Latest CDBurnerXP version with NMSDVDXU.dll from version 4.0.022.370 reduces my CPU usage to an acceptable level. Rocking again. If allowed by NMS, maybe providing a "hotfix" by using this older dll would be an idea (but maybe the newer dll is required for some other functions to work properly)...

We might see an update soon...that is, if I believe certain promises that have been made...
Can't you just use an old, working, version of the burning library until they fix their broken new one?

Same here. Latest CDBurnerXP version with NMSDVDXU.dll from version 4.0.022.370 reduces my CPU usage to an acceptable level. Rocking again. If allowed by NMS, maybe providing a "hotfix" by using this older dll would be an idea (but maybe the newer dll is required for some other functions to work properly)...

@FLO: Can you comment on that? Is it safe to use the older dll with newer versions? Or maybe just switch to the old dll in your newer releases until the issue is sorted out or you use another burn engine?

Guest pusrob

I can confirm that fisherman's workaround does work. My CPU usage dropped significantly, but it's still too high: 45% (at least it's not 100% now). I admit that my CPU is not new (it's pretty old actually: PIII@1,4GHz), but the thing is, that other burning libraries (wodim (aka cdrkit) for example) use way less than 10% of my CPU.

Changing NMS to something else would be a great idea, I think.

Thanks.

I checked the Numedia-Soft Website and found a new (?) trial version of the ActiveX version of the DLL.

NMSDVDXU.DLL (CORE 2.002 - NMSDVDX 1.014)

CDBurnerXP uses version 1.013C. Even this above mentioned DLL is newer, they still haven't fixed the bug :x

The problem is heavy registry and file access during burning and this causes the high CPU usage. Damn!

Looks like I can upgrade to a newer version of the NMS SDK now, but that's going to be expensive. A simple upgrade now costs more than I initially paid for it, that is 1699USD. I really hope that this release fixes a lot of issues, otherwise I'll get a bit mad ;)

Because of a few annoyances I've been planning to switch from Deepburner Free to CDburnerXP but no matter which version I've tried in the past, I always get 100% CPU usage on my AMD 2200+ as opposed to 40% peaks with Deepburner. I'm curious, any thoughts on what SDK they might be using or do you figure they simply have more money since they get revenue from selling a pro version?

EDIT: Just tested BurnAware Free who is advertized as being "Based on the most stable and fast disc recording SDK" and guess what, CPU stays at 100% while burning.

Guest Atomlikethemolecule
Because converting it all will require many weeks of coding.

So have any other feasible solutions been found other than the hotfixes mentioned here?

It's not that there are no better burning engines available, but that I cannot easily switch. Eventually I'll probably be able to, but not right now.

Guest zwim

Well, i think it is not the burning library which is in cause, but the on the fly ISO conversion.

When I burn directly a DVD at 16x it takes me about 20 to 25 min to actually burn it and only 5 min at same rate, when it is an .iso image of the same size.

Also burning the .iso consume less than 5% cpu, and building the .iso around 70% cpu.

When i burn directly to disc, cpu usage is high between 70 and 80% so i suspect this is because the on the fly conversion to ISO format, and not the burning library itself.

Just tried this software for the first time and came here to find out about the high cpu usage. It was using 65-70% cpu on my system. No offense to the developer but that's just not right. ImgBurn uses 2-3% during a burn on my system.

It's a very nice burning program otherwise... hope you can get that cpu usage sorted out.

Guest sidewinder

just installed this and CPU utilization runs over 50% on win7 and burned copy takes lot longer to initialize in my DVD player. This high CPU utilization is unacceptable in this day in age.

Guest Hi there!

Hi there!

Is the high cpu usage problem being resolved?

Thanks for this wonderful piece of software!!! :)

Guest R

Here it also is happening.

Threads from "NMSDVDXU.dll" keeps using a total of 55-75% CPU (Pentium4 HT) when burning files to DVD, but I think that when burning ISO to DVD it doesn't happen.

Guest sidewinder

I have switched to burnaware. its uses around 3% CPU on my pentium 4 in win7.