Sign in to follow this  
poldie

Two bugs

I'm using CDBurnerXP v4.0.022.370 on a home-built Vista64 Ultimate (quad core, 4 gigs of ram). The program works fine, but I've noticed a couple of bugs. I'm going to get the new version now but I'm not sure how repeatable the problems are so I thought I'd mention them now before I forget.

1) I always use verify, and normally it works, and when there's a problem with verification there IS a discrepancy. Today, whilst I was burning a disk I switched users from the admin user I used to run CDBurnerXP, to a non-admin user. Later, long after the disk had been written and verified, I switched back and it reported that the verify had failed for every file. The files seem ok though, although I've not compared them (I can't, as I've since deleted the files). I was thinking perhaps it was because switching users confused the app and the user had no right to check the admin user's files.

2) I dragged a bunch of files to a new DVD compilation, but changed my mind about the directory structure several times. When I eventually burned the disk, it was suspiciously fast, and further examination revealed that what it had burnt was nothing like what I'd asked it to burn. Each sub-folder had a copy of what was in the root. Like I said, this is hardly repeatable - all I'd be able to do would be to try and simulate what I originally did, and I've not got many DVDs left at the mo.

Finally, I have a plea - please provide an option for changing the priority at which CDBurnerXP runs. I always manually set it to `above normal` using Task Manager but it would be great to not have to!

Thanks anyway for a great app!

1) We'll see if something can be done.

2) Known problem, see other topics.

3) I don't think that CDBXP needs a higher priority.

CDBXP needs a higher priority unless it's coded in some way which makes it immune to the problems caused by not feeding the drive with enough data on time, such as installing other software, playing games, other applications being greedy and hogging the CPU etc.

CDBXP needs a higher priority unless it's coded in some way which makes it immune to the problems caused by not feeding the drive with enough data on time, such as installing other software, playing games, other applications being greedy and hogging the CPU etc.

I'm new at using CDBurnerXP but from my small amount of experience I tend to agree about the priority issue. Maybe it could explain why like a few others I have found that on occasion it sticks at 90 percent or so if other things are being done on the computer. I have wasted 3 discs so far when this has happened but I have tried the higher priority and so far it seems to be working OK. Unfortunately my computer, despite having 2GB of ram seems to have a crappy processor and not much else will work at all if I "up" the priority of CDBurnerXP. Would a larger buffer solve the problem perhaps?

CDBurnerXP is the only software I can find that will let me burn discs on my Samsung SH-S202 at x8 which is what my new CD player suggests as a maximum speed for CDR's in order for it to be able to read them.

Maybe you should rather use a lower burning speed. Too much won't be good.

I have discovered that despite me setting the burn speed at either x6 or x4 it takes the same time to burn a CD-R disc. 755.76MB burns in 5.21 minutes which seems to be roughly x16 speed which is the usual minimum I can use with other software like Nero. I feel sure that your previous version didn't do this and burned at the speed selected.

It's a while since I used the application and I had to reinstall it after a reformat due to a virus. There no longer seems to be an "Overide Speed Detection" option. Has it been removed because it wasn't working? The main website still shows it as existing in the instructions.

Hi Flo

Do you mean the "always show all burning speeds" in File/Options/General Settings? It certainly shows all burning speeds in the "Burn Options" screen but doesn't actually burn at the speed selected if it's below the speed detected if you follow me. In other words I cannot burn below 16x :(