Guest doru76

Thanks for the tip, i had the same issue, disabled the resident shield from AVG while writing a DVD and the time left dropped from 44minutes to 16 minutes and then to 8....

The bottom line - it worked.

I was having that slow burning speed experience also on my Windows 7 RC / athlon 4200+ dual core system. I just noticed that the installed AVG resident antivirus took up a lot of CPU usage, asuming then that all the data being burned was checked for virus while burning.

Turning off the online scanning feature dropped my CUP usage during burning from 95% to 48% (only one core still being used by cdbxpp.exe). This much speeded up my burning process to almost normal compared to nero.

Is there any way to acomplish this without the need to manually turn off virus scanning each time I burn a DVD ?

Nils from Germany

• 2 months later...
Guest BigRedBrent
Thanks for the tip, i had the same issue, disabled the resident shield from AVG while writing a DVD and the time left dropped from 44minutes to 16 minutes and then to 8....

The bottom line - it worked.

Looks like this was a big part of my problem as well, with the anti-virus called AVAST. The time to burn drastically dropped when I turned the on-access protection off.

I wonder why other burning programs do not have this problem but yet this one does.

• 1 month later...

I've had problems with slow burning too. As I use Avast, I tried disabling it, but it had no effect I could see (no impact on the remaining time display at least). However, I didn't see any high CPU usage from CDBurnerXP, which made me suspect something... So I tried disabling one of the Folding@Home clients, and that made burning speed up considerably. The Folding@Home client run at a very low priority, so it shouldn't affect things, but in this case it does.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. I was writing 2 different ISO files with 3x speed on Windows 7! It took 30 minutes.

Flo or someone who is working on this program could at least say something.

I have Comodo Internet Security, I'll turn it off next time. If this problem is because of Anti-Viruses than you wrote this program wrong way, you should now how Anti-Viruses are working.

P.S. I saw in some programs that DVDs can only be wrote with Disk-At-Once method and not with Session-At-Once (that is for CDs). Maybe that is problem...?

• 3 months later...

I've had the same problem. I use Sophos anti virus and I noticed that when "On Access Scanning" was enabled, the time it took to write a DVD went up to 50 minutes! And when I turned it off, it came down to like 12 minutes or something.. I guess the slow burn is because of all the verification of the files that are being written to the dvd.

• 1 year later...
Guest Ganni

Hello,

First of all I don't mean to necro this thread but I've been having slow burning speeds for months and always thought it's my drive, however after changing it, the slow burning still persists. Burning 2 files took me 1hr 6mins which is a long time for 1 disc.

Currently using Avast AV and as soon as I turned off the shields the burning process went down to a nice 15mins (including verification). I'm not sure about other AV's but from reading the posts I believe this feature causes the slow burns. Hopefully this problem shall be fixed asap :-)

PS: This piece of software rocks, my fav cd burner for the past 3 years.

- Ganni

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mariah

Believe it or not, it took me 7 hours to burn and check a 4.7GB DVD :/

Also, the first DVD I burned the fastest speed offered was 8X, and for the second DVD 4X.