CDBurnerXP crashes

Using CDBurnerXP 4.1.2.745 with Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.25.378 (current) causes my computer to lock up at the end of a burn.

I am using Windows XP on a recent Dell laptop with a supported drive.

The data appears to be burned and verified successfully and I get a message box confirming this.

When I acknowledge the message box the burn status window does not completely redraw, I can't close the window or kill the application by any means I know. Also my network connection eventually stops working, the chickens stop laying eggs and the cow stops giving me milk (joke).

As you know with Windows XP it is a rare occurrence to have a complete lock up like this. For me I can't remember the last time it happened. There is no way to recover. I just have to hold down the power button until the computer shuts down.

With several burns I have had it lock up at the same place. With a previous version (also in the I had a similar lockup while burning a DVD.

If I shut down the Comodo firewall before starting CDBurnerXP, the burn completes successfully and I see no bad behavior as listed above.

Please let me know if you need any more details or you would like me to test anything else. I would love to be able to use both programs concurrently.

I neglected to mention, I don't use the Comodo firewall. I use a hardware router for firewalling, but CDBurner XP still misbehaves and causes the same problems as I described, and as CSG just reported. I'd say there are enough of us reporting the problem who don't use Comodo firewall that it points to a flaw in the burner (or a fly in the ointment, as it were). What specific information would be helpful, Flo, to help debug this item. I'm wiling and able, and I'm sure others would be happy to help put this problem to bed, too.

Flo, please know we're not trying to pick on CDBurner XP. It's really a well-thought-out, great piece of software. I want it to work for everyone (as do you, I'm sure). If you can suggest a way we can get more information to you, or if you can code a special version that we could install on our machines that would provide a "saveabend" file (I'm an IBM mainframe and HP Nonstop (Tandem) programmer - saveabend is what we Tandem folks call a core dump) showing what's going on when our systems lock up - maybe we can get this problem solved for everyone. Think how many people haven't submitted thier experience, but are disappointed. We've got an opportunity here to make a really good piece of software more robust. We'll help if you can point us in the right direction.

Sincerely,

ugfrog

The main problem I have here, is that everyone has his own perception of what a crash is, so we're not dealing with a single core problem. For now, I intend to wait for the next update from the burning library vendor and after that we'll see.

I would like to provide more information to get this fixed, IF there's a reasonable chance that with modest effort it can be done.

If it seems most likely due to the CD burner library or some other difficult issue I'd rather just keep shutting down Comodo when I need to burn a CD.

I'll try reporting the issue to Comodo. Has anyone else done this?

Bottom line is I don't have unlimited time to fix something that ends up being a minor annoyance for me personally, and Flo doesn't seem to either. More power to him for good time management.

• 5 weeks later...

I hit the same problem whilst burning an audio CD, However its not a crash, its a application hang. The reason other applications are locking up is its to do with the hungapp module Windows uses.

Heres Events preceding up to my hang (taken from Event Viewer):

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event Category: None

Event ID: 7036

Date: 23/08/2008

Time: 02:54:07

User: N/A

Description:

The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.

Description:

The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.

After the Service enters the running state is where the application hangs and Unfortunatly thats the only additional information Event Viewer will give you =/

For those who are unsure about the difference, crashes invariably mean the application will close and return you to the desktop (CTD or Crash to Desktop) OR would be system wide (for example the good old BSOD Blue Screen of Death that was a companion for Windows 9x users and still resides today although much more stable).

From my own experiences whilst encountering this problem and indeed what other users are saying, their still allowed to have some functionality to their systems after the incident (as they are able to access task manager and the system is still accepting input - albeit a slow response) so relatively safe to assume its a hang.

• 3 years later...

I'm having a similar problem attempting to copy a multitrack (?) VCD of Thai video (possibly created in Thailand.) After a very short time attempting to read the CD with CDBurnerXP, the entire system hangs. No other application can be accessed, the Start button does nothing, even Ctl-Alt-Del is non-functional. The only options are reset or power down. (To me, this seems to indicate a driver-level problem.) ImgBurn reads the CD and writes the resulting .bin/.cue files with no indication of any problem whatsoever. I'm running Windows XP, if that is significant.