Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wicky

Best fit DVD

Guest Wicky

Are you interested in an idea?

I've got a huge folder of 47gb data spread out among 58 files.

Would CDBurnerXP be able to calculate the files so, that they best fit on the inserted Medium, then it would be a great help.

Normally you arrange the files manually. Each DVD has very little empty space, but counting a dozen DVDs with each 300mb empty, you waste 1 entire DVD.

Thanks for reading, keep up the good work!! Kudos for creating this nifty little proggy.

Although this would be a nice feature, in your case, meaning 58 files with a total of 47GB, you will still have that problem. The bigger the files, the most likely you will have empty space on the DVD. Imagine they where all the approximately the same size, ie they are a TV series, videos of the same length. This would make them 810Mb each. 5 of them would be 4,05 GB but 6 of them 4,86GB.

So you will have lots of empty space. Now if there is a big variance between the size, you could optimize for less empty space. It would be interesting to make such a program though.

Guest Wicky

Yes, there is a big variance in size between 350mb and 2.1gb because, they are random broadcasts I have recorded from a TV-card.

"The bigger the files, the move likely I will have empty space" I respect your argument. But give it some weeks, I can wait until there are more files then I will make a new calculation.

In such a case, big variance, I think the best algorythm , is to put the bigger ones together, and try and squeeze a small one on the gap (best fit on the last). When you are done with the really big, it would be easier to rearrange the medium ones. I think I might write a small application for such a calculation, which could calculate all possible combinations. The math is easy.

I get that! I wouldn't even consider saying that. I was thinking that it would simply display which files should go on which disk, or evoking the command line version to write them. One of the pluses of CDBurnerXP for me is that it is not overwhelmed with tons of features I will never probably use. It has kind of minimalistic functionality, without having anything needed left out.

This is certainly one of the features that will make it into CDBXP, but I can't tell when yet. There is still so much else to do unfortunately.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.