Sign in to follow this  
Guest MSAND

Licensing

Guest MSAND

Is there any issue using this software for internal business use? What I mean is creating discs to transfer data from one machine to another or just burning images?

Guest MSAND

Ok not to be a pain, but I am honestly not sure in my case. The app would only be used for internal purposes, the license states "not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or private monetary compensation" neither of those would hold true. I am just asking, sorry. Not only that but how would I ask permission if needed?

Well, I not a lawyer, so I can't answer your first question. But if you'd like to get a permission, you may ask through the contact form or by e-mail.

Guest complainer
:firefox: This licensing issue is very confusing. Why bother with it? Why has not the website change to meet the new license...Especially since it has changed. There should be a link to say what the license is before you even download it. Why has this not been done. :firefox:

The license will be shown at the beginning of the setup, that should suffice. I don't think that it is confusing at all (it has ever been this way, just that we got a new license recently).

Guest J.B. Nicholson-Owens

By the way, Creative Commons licenses written by the Creative Commons organization are not intended for use with computer software. See http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequen ... oftware.3F for details from their FAQ including a pointer to the licenses they recommend for use with software (namely, the new BSD license, the GNU Lesser GPL, and the GNU GPL, or placing the software in the public domain which means not licensing the work at all).

Some of the language in the license you've chosen (CC's Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales) makes no sense for software (such as "displaying" and "performing" the work, neither of which are the same as executing a computer program) and leaves out salient issues with regard to computer software (which is why CC doesn't recommend using CC-written licenses to license software). For example, if you're trying to control who can execute the program, I am unaware what in copyright law would give you that power (for instance, running the program as part of a business) outside of the use of an execution manager.