Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mariuss

Again about the license...

Guest Mariuss

I have another question about the license. At the homepage of this magnificent piece of software you can find an information that "CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies, can use it for free."

Software licenses are the most boring part of software installation, most of them are written the way you have an impression they cause confussion on purpose. They are full of hooks and strings, hidden meanings and alikes to protect poor software companies from us, sinister users. That's why most users don't bother with reading licenses displayed during installation of software.

And now the main question: who, after reading the above quotation and especially its last sentence, would read actual license of the CDBurnerXP which, in fact states something opposite?

Most users don't care anyway. It's the same for me. But those who need the details, can read them. And companies my use if of course, for free, if they ask for permission. I can't put the whole license terms on the front page.

Guest Mariuss
Mariuss. do you have a screenshot by chance??

Just type in http://cdburnerxp.se/ in your browser. It's on the main webpage just below the green menubar, actually between the menubar and little screenshot.

Most users don't care anyway. It's the same for me. But those who need the details, can read them. And companies my use if of course, for free, if they ask for permission. I can't put the whole license terms on the front page.

Of course nobody expects you or any other developer to start the software's webpage with the license agreement, I absolutelly agree with you. My point is that the information on the main page of CDBurnerXP discourages folks from reading license during installation. People just get wrong idea. By the way, what's the purpose of such restrictions in the license if software actually CAN be used commercially at no cost other than the cost of contacting developers?

The purpose of this license is that I don't want people to (legally) do "evil" stuff with CDBurnerXP, like it is already happening on sites like cdburnerxpsoft.info.

Guest Mariuss

I'm not familiar with Spanish. What exactly do they do? Selling some "ultima version"? I didn't realise it's so hard to be a developer...

Guest Mariuss

Sorry for pointing that out, but it clearly looks like cdburnerxp license simply doesn't work at all...

Guest Mariuss

Well, when I say "license not working" I mean some dodgers keep getting away with breaching of such a license. Sorry, maybe I'm too harsh, but it feels not right to me. I always read all sorts of EULAs before installing any software, never install "free for home users" applications on company computers, partially because I don't want company bosses to get into trouble and partially because I understand that software developers are people like anyone else ie. they have to eat or have to have some satisfaction of what they're doing. And then I encounter a situation like with those cdburnerxpsoft.info guys or someone selling GPL software on ebay and I feel (to put it gently) dissapointed.