Sign in to follow this  
gdb500

Trouble with installation of 4.2.1.864

When I run the installation file the following dialogue appears

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item

As far as i know I have permissions for installation as I install other programs including CDBurnerXPPro

Any thoughts

TA Rod

As far as I know, I do have installation rights, I have installed many other packages

This is the first to report a problem

and as you say it doesn't give any clues as to what the problem is

Still I have just thought, if there is no explanation for the problem then its likely to be the virus checker, and low and behold when I run the installation the following appears

Time: 15/08/2008 16:43:21

Event: McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention

IP Address/User:

Description: Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

What ever that means, don't I regularly install by double clicking on the relevant setup exe, there must be something in 4.2.1.864 it don't like

Rod

It turns out that the problem is the format of the installation file name

The dots in the name are fooling the McAfee virus checker into a reporting it as a multiple exe

replacing the extra dots with dashes then there is no problem e.g. cdbxp_setup_4-2-1-864.exe

May be the filename could changed to this format in the future to stop the confusion

TA

Rod

Another example for why AV applications cause more trouble than they are worth (brain.exe usually does a better job). And no, I don't consider changing the file name currently.