[C] Can not slow down - CDBurnerXP always uses high speed

I wanted to slow down my drive to improve the burning quality. But it doesn't matter what speed I choose, my drives are always running at high speed.

In the log I can see that the software got the correct speed from my input, but the time is too short for that speed: Are 4.585.761 KB in 5:32 min equal to 4x?

I am using CDBurnerXP 4.2.1.919 on Vista with Optiarc AD-7173S and on WinXP with Plextor PX-712A and PX-810SA. All with the same result.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem, 4x burn completed successfully in 6 minutes. Not possible, it used the max speed (8x).

I'm using CDBurnerXP 4.2.2.984 on Vista x64 with Plextor PX-708A.

In the meantime I prepare the ISO files with CDBurnerXP, but burn them with ImgBurn at a slower speed.

Or to say it provocatively: ImgBurn has a higher burning quality than CDBurnerXP - because it can slow down the burning process :wink:

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem. 4x burn of a 4,36 GB .iso file completed successfully in about 6 minutes.

I'm using CDBurnerXP 4.2.3.1110 on Vista x64 with Optiarc AD-7173S.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sixshot

After all this time, this small bug still has yet to be fixed? :shock: And I was wondering why it took 6 minutes to burn a full disc.

Maybe you can give more details, like... did you override the speed detection? For which kind of discs (data, audio, ISO) does it happen? Which target medium did you use? Which are the available speeds etc.

Guest kiki2121

# (en) : Hello, (i'am french) ONLY :| if you check the "burn test" you can select all speeds in the window of burning (copying 1:1 audio cd for example). There is a problem, especially when once finished burning back on by changing only the source and cd blank cd (cd-r not always recognized as a virgin, or not very well explained) ; burning goes wrong.

# (fr) : Salut, (je suis français) UNIQUEMENT :| si l'on coche la case "gravure test" l'on peut sélectionner toutes les vitesses dans la fenêtre de gravure (copie 1:1 cd audio par exemple). Il y a un problème, notamment quand une fois la gravure fini on revient en changeant seulement le cd source et le cd vierge (cd-r pas toujours reconnu comme vierge, ou ce n'est pas très bien expliqué) ; la gravure se passe mal.

# (en) : Is it possible to display all speeds for burning each time and staining such speeds detected as compatible?

# (fr) : Est-il possible de pouvoir afficher toutes les vitesses pour la gravure à chaque fois et colorer par exemple les vitesses détectés comme compatibles ?

# (en) : I am also in the property of CD or DVD burner to adjust the speed lower (max) than that supports the CD or DVD.

# (fr) : Je vais aussi dans les propriétés du graveur de cd ou dvd, pour ajuster la vitesse au plus bas (max) par rapport à ce que supporte le cd ou le dvd.

Funny: I use CDBurnerXP remote to help someone to burn in 1:1 :D

Drole: j'ai utiliser CdBurnerXP à distance pour aider quelqu'un à graver en 1:1 :D

Thanks

Merci

Webmaster: Please ensure the prevention messages visulisation without constraints, it is not fun :?

Webmestre: Merci de permettre la prévisulisation des messages sans les contraintes ; c'est pas amusant :?

Guest kiki2121

(en+fr) "Override speed detection" (english) or/ou "Test de gravure" (french) ???!!!

(fr) CDBurnerXP v4.2.4.1235 : Erreur de traduction ou problème avec la fonction ?

(en) CDBurnerXP v4.2.4.1235 : Translation error or problem with the function ?

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/help/_media/im ... ptions.png :shock:HERE

(fr) On peut faire un test de gravure (ça fait semblant pour tester) ? J'espère !

(en) We can do a test burn (pretended to burn to test) ? ! I hope !

(fr) It must include the two functions of any way :?

(en) Il faut inclure les deux fonctions de toute manière :?

merci

thanks

• 1 month later...

Override speed detection? No that checkbox was not ticked/on. The medium is simply a DVD-R on a data format with UDF 1.0x. The available speeds I should be able to select are 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x. But even if I set the burn speed to 2x, it does not burn at 2x.

When I select 2x, it should burn at 2x. This is what the user expects when they wish to burn at a slower speed instead of using the maximum speed that the disc and drive is capable of. Upon looking up the FAQ, the Override option, even if it remotely controls how the drive writes to the disc, should not be an alias for forcing a speed on the drive. The option name "Override speed detection" should function for what it is named for: to override the speeds that the program has detected for the drive.

If the program is defaulting to using the maximum speed available for both disc and drive, it should be set as an option. When the advanced dialog for burning is presented to me, I am given a drop-down list of writing speeds to choose from. If I am able to make the selection, that's saying to me that I can choose the writing speed. If it is your intention to make it so that the Override checkbox is an alias for overriding the default's writing behavior, then I should not have been able to change the selection on the drop-down list unless the checkbox is ticked.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here:

I have an BLUERAY-writer Pioneer BD-RW BDR-202. Would like to burn DATA only 1X, because the burnt BD´s have the problem that the BDR-202 often can not read them. Now I got Media-Range BD-R´s 4X (low-cost) which produces errors during burning.

I can not slow down, it is only possible to select MAXIMUM speed ... using 4.2.4.1300

maximum.gif

Guest Arki

Hmm, I just downloaded and installed version 4.2.4.1322 via update-function in cdburnerxp and wanted to burn an audio cd on cd-r, checked 4x, but the burning process is finished in whole 2 minutes - at high speed.

I didn't had this problem with earlier versions (last version i used till now was 4.2.4.1255)

using Windows XP SP2

Guest pierrot

I got the same problème, wathever i try to burn, any speed i try to select , CDBurnerXP alway burn at full speed.

CDBurnerXP version 4.2.4.1322, OS : Vista 64, DVD burner : Pioneer DVR-155D

NB : With "Magic CD & DVD burner", i don't get any problem, i can choose the burning speed

Guest Guenni87

I have the same Problem on a Thinkpad T500 with HL-DT-DT GSA-U20N Drive and CDBurnerXP 4.2.4.1322 on Vista x64. DVDs are always burnt at the higest speed. It doesn't matter if I chose 8x or 4x (show all speeds disabled; only available speeds are 4x and 8x). It always tooks 10 min. to burn a whole DVD - burning at 4x (equals 5540KB/s) should take longer than 14min.??? I've tried different writeable DVDs (+/-) and updated the firmware of the drive - the same problem again and again.

Another PC with an Optiarc AD-7170s and Win XP with Version 4.2.4.1322 has the same problem ... Burning a DVD chosing 4x speed tooks exactly the same time when burning with 18x speed.

I would love the see this anoying bug fixed! Thanks!

Guest Guest

My Samsung SH-S183 (Win XP, latest Version of CDBurnerXP) has the same Problem - Drive runs always at highest Speed when selecting lower values like 4x or 8x in the options.

Unfortunately all burned DVDs are crap - with this bug CDBrunerXP is useless for me so please fix it!

• 3 months later...

I was about to put a post up about this issue but then found this thread. Just installed the latest CDBurner XP - 4.2.4.1430 - and it is still happening.

So any idea whether this is likely to be fixed in the future?

I absolutely love this program and would hate to have to use something else. But I do really need to be able to burn at lower speeds......

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo,

For me the problem exists as well: Discs are always burned at full speed no matter what speed is chosen. This is really disappointing and makes the software a lot less useful. It happens with both my burners (Plextor 716A and Optiarc 7240S; Windows Vista 32bit). While burning CDBurnerXP shows the burn speed I've chosen in the previous options dialogue but ALWAYS burns at full speed instead no matter what speed I chose. With other software like ImgBurn this doesn't happen, so the bug must be somewhere in CDBurnerXP. Please, fix this problem!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest basdoorn

Still having the same problem, even got me an audio CD toaster last night.

CDBurnerXP 4.2.5.1490

Plextor PX-820SA firmware 1.00, Max Burn and Read speed 8467 KB/s, 2MB buffer

Writer is a SATA model working in IDE mode, not AHCI

Asus P5Q-E mainboard with Intel Q9450 quadcore, 8GB RAM, Windows Ultimate 64 bit

I selected 8x write speed, but the drive would rev up to maximum speed, I guess it tried to burn at around 40x or so. It also gave a time remaining indication of only 3 minutes, while the disc was to be filled with 77min:41sec of music. At 8x that should take at least 10 minutes, the burn error came after about 2 minutes in, indicating a certain sector could not be written and that my media was not up to the task. It was a Philips CD-R rated up to 52x, but I guess burning away at maximum speed still was a bit too much for this media. Let me know if you need any more information and how to obtain such information, I like your software but this needs to be fixed for it to be useful here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brink

Hello

Just wanted to switch from Nero to CDBurnerXP as it can read out the Replaygain-Information while burning.

But now I am also facing this problem that I cannot slow down the burning speed (only tried to burn audio CDs up to now) and that this leads into burning errors.

Version: 4.2.5.1541

Drives

Samsung: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M

Yamaha: CRW-F1E

I would also appreciate if you can fix this.

BTW:

Is it correct that this newest version does not have the check box "Override speed detection" anymore?

Greetings

Brink

• 2 months later...
Guest MarkusW

Hello,

i have the same problem using Windows 7 Ultimate, CdBurnerXP newest Version 4.2.7.1801 and a Plextor CD Writer PX-W4012A Firmware 1.07. I just burned an Audio CD Compilation, selected 4x burning speed which is definitely supported by the drive and worked without problems in earlier days. The burning of an entire Audio CD took 3:03 Minutes with a length of 46:27 Minutes of playing time.

Is there any workaround for this? I'd love to use this nice software, but at this speed the results should be bad...

Guest Snowfall

Hello,

I'm using CDBurnerXP 4.2.7.1801 on two ASUS DVD writers, under windows XP 32bit, and both of them use the maximum burning speed supported by the media and/or drives when I try to burn an ISO. I haven't tried the audio disc option, but the data disc works just fine (and it's apparently the only think that still works without a hitch).

I'm also getting very strange results when I select the "Secure" option in the Erase Disc menu. A "secure" erase of a regular DVD-RW 4x lasted for about 4 minutes... as opposed to the ~15 mins it would need to usually clear out the entire contents. I don't think I've seen this kind of behaviour prior to 1801, but I could be mistaken.

I've switched to CDBurnerXP from Nero ever since I tried it in the 4.2.1 version and I've used it for a long time without any problems (and only words of praise), but ever since the last four versions I'm having serious trouble in getting it to do what I tell it to do (guess it's started to have a mind of its own and overrule my selected options). I've also deleted the worked-without-any-issues 4.2.5 version from my hdd and I can't seem to find it in your "old versions" download page.

This is a great piece of software and I'd hate to have to switch to something else due to a couple of inconvenient issues, so... could you please bring back the good old (critical-)bug-free days?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with DVD-R DL. I could only chose 48x?! That speed isn't even supported with my drive! Burning lasted for half of hour, I think that is time for 8x...

Of course, disc couldn't be read after burning...

I have Win 7 and last stable version of CDBurnerXP.

• 1 month later...
Guest kaci

Hello.

I've just installed latest version of CDBurnerXP, but I've got the same error as described in this topic: no matter what burn speed I select, software burns more faster. For example at last time I've selected 4x speed to burn a 4332 MB DVD ISO image file, but the program has finished in 4:35 minutes, which is about 12x speed.

System parametes:

CDBurnerXP 4.2.7.1878

DVD burner: TSSTcorp CDDVDWSH-S223F

disc: Verbatim DVD-R certified up to 16x speed

Could you please fix this bug? I would hate to select another burner software just because of this. Thnk you in advance.

Kaci