Sign in to follow this  
Guest e-d

[X] "Ignore previous sessions" and free space

Guest e-d

Hi,

My usual workflow is to have a DVD+RW drive with data written on it, that I use to overwrite with some new data. Now if I want to overwrite it in CDBurnerXP it's a bit cumbersome, because the program still counts the current data that is on the DVD, even if I obviously don't need it and want to overwrite it. So if there is 3GB of data on the DVD I can't add 3GB to the Data compilation, because the program will count as if I'm trying to write 6GB. I'd have to erase the disc first, which is an unneded waste of time.

I'm new to CDburnerXP, so maybe I'm missing something. But I think that "Ignore previous sessions" should do just that, ignore the current data on the DVD and see the DVD drive as empty.

Guest e-d
You can add 3GB even if CDBXP tells you that there is not enough free space.

Well yeah, I can add, but I can't burn without -manually- erasing first.

I'd also rather see the exact view of how much space is available, not counting the data on the DVD, which will get overwritten anyway.

Guest e-d

Yeah, erasing automatically would be cool. (I guess you can't just overwrite?... it looks like that in some other programs.)

Nope, you can't overwrite. And erasing it automatically is - as you might releasie - quite dangerous. However, CDurnerXP will automatically *ask* you to erase it, so it's a rather painless process.

Guest e-d
And erasing it automatically is - as you might releasie - quite dangerous.

But this is exactly what happens currently. (for +RW, at least) It actually looks like it just overwrites, too. I don't see too many complains. ;)

CDurnerXP will automatically *ask* you to erase it, so it's a rather painless process.

Do you plan to implement this or does this happen with -RW disks?*

That's not even required, IMO. Because when you choose "Data Disc" it already asks you if you want to "Ignore previous sessions" and it already tells you that the existing data will be lost. So I don't see that much need for security measures and extra steps.

Anyway, sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I hope that you at least see the point I'm trying to make. That is, when you select "Ignore previous sessions" to do just that: show the disc as empty/show the real available space.

*Maybe there are different processes for DVD-RW and DVD+RW... I've seen this happen with other programs: with +RW it looks like it just overwrites, while with -RW it looks like it erases first.

Ignoring the previous session just means that its contents will not be imported to the layout. If you finalise your disc, CDBXP will ask you to erase it.

Burning DAO after SAO should not be possible, and if you burn 2xSAO, the previously used space will not be freed and thus CDBXP's information on the available space is correct.

That option to erase the disk does not appear when I try to burn -RW DVD that already has data. I get a warning to insert a DVD-rw with enough capacity. It will not continue and there is no option to erase the current disk. So I must manually erase the current DVD-RW first.

Have searched the forum and FAQ and found this post to be closest to my query...

Is there any way to recover data that appears to have been overwritten? I had not finalised or erased previously burned data - and the system allowed me to add/burn additional data - but the original data had disappeared at the end of the burn process leaving only the new data. Any ideas?

Thanks