Sign in to follow this  
floele

Introducing: Ketarin

Guest Mythril

I had some trouble with some software having download links that used the version numbering, but doesn't include the dots in the version... So I had a look at the source code to see what I could do. I considered adding a checkbox for removing dots or even a textbox to write characters to remove from the variable result, but that'd require changing the database too, etc. In the end I just went for a simple solution, and added two lines to the ReplaceInString function in UrlVariable.cs:

if (this.Name.EndsWith("_nodots"))

result = result.Replace(".", "");

Nothing I'd add in an official release, but at least it works for me. :P

Guest Sam L

Request: Options button with at least a setting to declare Proxy Server settings. I think its essential. Especially for those of us working from within an organisations firewall.

Guest Mythril
Couly you possibly describe your problem in more detail? Maybe I can find a better solution ;)

Heh, well yeah, I guess others probably might get the same problem. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions than the one I chose, but as I said, I just went for the easiest solution I could. :)

For example, for Opera, I wanted to download the Norwegian version, so I had to use the URL/variables option. The latest Opera version is 9.60, but the download links are named Opera_960_int_Setup.exe, without the dot between 9 and 60. I couldn't figure out how to correctly link to that download with the downloaded version of Ketarin. (I tried making two variables, but it wasn't possible to search for something that starts with a dot since the parser just finds the first location of the selection start string...)

Guest ttheill

Hi...

Thanks for at great program. I have looked for such a program for a couple of years now.

I would like to know where Ketarin stores the entries I put in?

It would be nice to be able to put all of the program including the setup/entries on an USB stick. Is that possible?

Regards,

Thomas

Guest appyface

See what you started, Flo! The floodgates have opened for Ketarin :-)

OK I won't insist you get carried away (just yet :-) but if you can find the time for unattended mode that's started from a command line (so I can schedule it with my job scheduler), and do a simple "move on to the next one if I can't download this one on first try, or if the [renamed] file already exists on disk". Being able to specify a proxy was a good suggestion by previous poster.

And as mentioned by previous poster, being able to specify the location of the SQLLite database during install (or in an INI file parameter we can edit) would be awesome. I run a VERY small c: drive containing only OS, registry and installed programs (and few other things m$ insists on keeping on c:). Everything else that can be relocated, has been, to other drives.

Thank you Flo, hope you can find a bit of time to pull this together.

Best regards,

--appyface

Ketarin will obey the Internet Explorer proxy settings.

Regarding relocation of the database file: I'll add this registry key for the next version:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CDBurnerXP\Ketarin
DatabasePath="c:\test.db"
[/code]

Also, it will make use of a jobs.db file if in the same directory as the executable.

For example, for Opera, I wanted to download the Norwegian version, so I had to use the URL/variables option. The latest Opera version is 9.60, but the download links are named Opera_960_int_Setup.exe, without the dot between 9 and 60

Can't you use "Opera_" as start and "_int_Setup.exe" as end on the page with the download link? Say, you name this "version" and then you can use the download link "http://xyz.ab/cd/Opera_{version}_int_Setup.exe".

Guest JohnSim3

Hi,

I have just installed Ketarin and it's updating my setup files as I type.

When running the program I can't help but notice that the download speed is quite low, as it takes about an hour to download a 24 Mb file from FileHippo.com, and even worse the download actually failed after an hour...

I totally appreciate the idea behind the Ketarin program, so I would love to see this little app being developed even further with some additional features.

Here are my suggestions (wish list with fingers crossed):

1) It would be really great if you could add something like multi-threaded downloads and resume support, or allow the Ketarin program to run a download manager from the command line and have the download manger download the file instead. I'm on a 12 Mbps internet connection but Keratin reminds me of the days I was still on dial-up.

2) Ketarin should be able to download more than 1 update at the time as per user setting.

3) Virus-scanner integration I consider a must, so it would be great if Ketarin would be able to trigger a virus-scan for each file it has downloaded.

4) For me personally it would be better if there would be an option to have Ketarin check for all updates first before it actually start downloading any files.

(like having 2 modes of operation: manual or auto)

5) When right-clicking any of the files in the list we should be able to just update-check for that 1 file and also just download an update for just that 1 file, instead of having the update check run for all applications. For some applications updates might be more time critical, as you might have been waiting for an update, then for others.

Thank you very much for your time and efforts and for opening up to suggestions :)

Best regards,

Johnny

5) When right-clicking any of the files in the list we should be able to just update-check for that 1 file and also just download an update for just that 1 file, instead of having the update check run for all applications. For some applications updates might be more time critical, as you might have been waiting for an update, then for others.

Thanks for your suggestions. This, however, is already possible.

Guest JohnSim3

Hi again,

Oops, indeed Ketarin can update 1 file at the time, funny how I missed that and sorry about that... Instantly one of my wishes already fulfilled :D

I now have a bit of trouble getting it to work with checking and downloading the "slim" version of CCleaner (the version without the toolbar).

The download link does produce a file, but this file is not automatically renamed to the executable filename when starting the download from this link:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim

The current version would be v2.12.660 and when downloading from any browser will automatically produce the file name "ccsetup212_slim.exe" but the file saved by Ketarin is "downloadbinslim" instead. Also running the update check a second time for the same file will download the same file again (downloadbinslim) as apparently Ketarin again detects an update.

When using the "save to file" option I found that it does not support using the {version} variable as that only produced the file name "ccsetup{version}_slim.exe". It seemed to be a nice work-around but for now I'm saving the file as "ccsetup_slim.exe" instead.

Another thing is that I also have the same issue with a "dot" in the filename not allowing me to generate a valid download link:

For example:

For Real Alternative Lite when checking the latest version number from the website source what I find is "1.90" (please notice the dot).

The actual download link for this version is something like "/real/realalt190lite.exe" but can not be found in the website source as the website uses a PHP script that "generates" the direct link instead. When using the PHP script link instead, Ketarin produces a "not a link to a binary file" error.

The "190" is no where to be found in the web page source, only the "1.90", so it would be nice if the Ketarin could automatically remove the dot(s) so a direct download link can be created.

Other then for the above, the program works really great and especially the variable definition feature is just brilliant and gives an enormous flexibility that makes this little app very useful :)

I also hope my feedback will be of some use to you and will help to further improve this excellent app :)

Thanks and best regards,

Johnny

Hi Flo,

I was just about to post just what Johnny just wrote :-) I have experienced all the situations described there, so am looking forward to solution as well.

Changing subject. I noticed BBCode is off if I am posting as a guest. I could not find a way to turn it on so I registered and am logged in. I have set BBCode "on" in my user control panel, but still BBCode is off when I post and I do not see a way to enable it.

What am I missing?

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

I now have a bit of trouble getting it to work with checking and downloading the "slim" version of CCleaner (the version without the toolbar).

Thanks for the hint, will be fixed in the next version. However, we need a new option for this one to determine whether or not the file is actually new: The script always gives the current date instead of the actual file date, so Ketarin keeps thinking that the file is new.

When using the "save to file" option I found that it does not support using the {version} variable as that only produced the file name "ccsetup{version}_slim.exe".

That's already done, but not present in the current release.

The actual download link for this version is something like "/real/realalt190lite.exe" but can not be found in the website source as the website uses a PHP script that "generates" the direct link instead. When using the PHP script link instead, Ketarin produces a "not a link to a binary file" error.

Wherefrom are you downloading? http://www.free-codecs.com/download_sof ... =4763&s=65 works fine for me.

Other then for the above, the program works really great and especially the variable definition feature is just brilliant and gives an enormous flexibility that makes this little app very useful :)

Thanks, that's motivating :)

Here is a new release for testing: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/downloads/rele ... -0.9.2.zip

OK ;)

Why do you actually need the version number without dots? You could just extract the download URL from the download page like this as start

Lite - Mirror ] 

Btw... the {version} variable now can confirmed also be used in the output filename, which is pretty cool :)

Hi Flo,

I just set up a variable {build} which scrapes the current build number. That's on a different page (changelog) from the main version number, which I scrape into {mainver} variable. Since the downloaded filename is always setup.exe (stupid vendor!) I need to combine the major version number with the build number into the output filename.

However, my output filename on disk as sent from Ketarin, is setup_{mainver}.{build}.exe

I am using 0.9.3.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

Maybe you can send me a screenshot of the application and variable dialog so that I can properly see what exactly you have done?

OK I have a zip file with three screenshots ready, and I see in my user control panel here that I can manage attachments, but I don't see how to attach the zip file? How do you want me to get the screenshots to you?

--appyface

P.S. Did you fix the BBcode issue? Thanks if so. Also, I'm subscribed to receive notifications for this thread when it is posted, but I'm not receiving any...?

OK I have a zip file with three screenshots ready, and I see in my user control panel here that I can manage attachments, but I don't see how to attach the zip file? How do you want me to get the screenshots to you?

You can send them per e-mail.

Also, I'm subscribed to receive notifications for this thread when it is posted, but I'm not receiving any...?

Maybe they are being sorted out as spam?

You can send them per e-mail.

OK... where do I get the correct email address? Use any contact info I can find for you on the site?

Maybe they are being sorted out as spam?

I have no spam filtering on this account. (I run my own mailserver, my ISP is set to forward without filtering)

--appyface