Sign in to follow this  
floele

Introducing: Ketarin

Hi Flo, I sent a ZIP file of three screenshots to your email address listed for "jabber". Please let me know if the ZIP file is garbled and I'll resend from a different mail server. Thanks and regards,

--appyface

Guest Leeoniya

what would make this thing complete (in order of importance):

1. Allow to auto-run batch script w/commandline after download (like extraction procedure, silent install init, renaming..etc.)

2. Portable - (solved by putting jobs.db in program dir after reading through posts)

3. Allow wildcards in download url, better yet allow inline regex (also see #3) (so version number does not need to be looked up elsewhere)

4. Integrate a good regex engine like PCRE for matching content in webpages - not terribly necessary, but if above is implemented, might as well.

5. Grouping by user defined categories.

fantastic util btw....will be as indispensable as Portable Start Menu, ToDoList, Beyond Compare & WinSCP

keep up the great work,

Leon

1. Allow to auto-run batch script w/commandline after download (like extraction procedure, silent install init, renaming..etc.)

Yep, I already thought about that myself.

3. Allow wildcards in download url, better yet allow inline regex (also see #3) (so version number does not need to be looked up elsewhere)

Wildcards won't work, because Ketarin doesn't know what to download then

4. Integrate a good regex engine like PCRE for matching content in webpages - not terribly necessary, but if above is implemented, might as well.

5. Grouping by user defined categories.

Will consider these. Thanks ;)

Guest Madmax2002

*** PLEASE READ THIS ***

Sorry I don't have time to register right now to post in the proper forum...

I just wanted to let you know that CHECK FOR UPDATE from the software has not been showing the NEW VERSION 4.2.2.1012 !!! I saw it on your site and had to download it manually (I'm running Vista 32 bit and was running version 4.2.2.9xx)

Guest Leeoniya

heh, guess i didn't think the wildcard issue all the way through, you're right, it wouldn't work for pretty obvious reasons. likewise a regex wouldnt work in the url either :). but it would work in the html search.

maybe present a menu to the user if there are multiple matches to one regex, and have the user manually select the ver. to download. you can abstract away any regex complexities for basic users by constructing the regex the same params you use now (start and end) escaping special regex characters from both params of course eg. /start.*?end/gm

with a regex engine the URL can be left as a variable like {url} and the rest of the complexity will be handled by the regex, would be much easier than implementing your own variations of how and what can and cannot be matched.

PCRE 7.8 here:

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/

all nitpicking at this point, just thinking out loud.

Leon

Guest Leeoniya

...just thought of something else:

asynchronous updating - (no need to wait for one update to finish to continue checking others)

Guest rossnet

Hi Flo,

looks like a nice tool and the filehippo option makes it easy to use for some files.

Unfortunalty I'm not so much an early adopter that I don't like filehippo providing me the latest betas as well, but that seems to be an issue with filehippo rather than Ketarin...

So my main issue is: How to easily backup the "configuration-data" of Ketarin - I don't want to start building an extensive list of standard apps without knowing how to save my work properly ;)

Thanks for your efforts,

Thorsten

You can backup your configuration data by simply backing up the database file (%appdata%/Ketarin). Ketarin uses a rather solid database format though (even with transactions), so it is unlikely that your database get's corrupted. For usual backups of your data, you'd back up %appdata% anyway I suppose.

I just uploaded a new version: http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/download with "run commands after downloading" and user defined categories.

Guest rossnet

Hi Flo,

thanks for the rapid response.

Actually I only backup certain subdirs within the %appdata% directory (Firefox, Thunderbird) and those dirs are located on a different drive an "linked" into %appdata% so I moved the Ketarin dir as well to that drive and it's included now in my backup routine.

What do you think about opening up a thread in this board where we could collect Ketarin-application-"strings". E.g. avoiding beta versions or for certain apps in certain languages?

Viele Grüße,

Thorsten

Guest Leeoniya
I just uploaded a new version: http://ketarin.canneverbe.com/download with "run commands after downloading" and user defined categories.

holy flying monkeys!! sweet, thanks!

Here's my "wants" list with some addendums (also in priority order):

- Make "Show in Groups" by user category. For non-grouped alphabetic listing, just sorting on the Application column should suffice.

- When running updates, visually indicate/mark which apps required updates during the batch....maybe a different checkmark color?...also split off the checkmark into its own column and allow sorting by checkmark/update status (maybe still retaining grouping if group display is enabled)

- Version # column? maybe reserve a variable name like {ver}, and if it exists, stick the parsed variable into a "Version" column

- Asynch updates - update more than 1 app at a time.

- Regex engine

- Other random things: color coding for categories, user defined update order, resume interrupted downloads, bandwidth speed limits, if asynch updating is implemented - limit max # of simultaneous updates, drag and drop for various tasks.

- Personally, i'd change the fill color/outline color of the progress bars to something more tango-theme colored and add a few px row padding (similar to grouped display between rows in the same group) when not displaying in groups.

Also found a 2 minor bugs (i think):

- Progress and Target columns are non-resizable.

- there's a 1px or 2px vertical white space at the end of the progress bar when at 100%

Haven't tested the commandline options yet, but will report any bugs i stumble upon and more ideas that come up.

keep up the great work, cheers.

Leon

Guest Leeoniya

Flo, just a quick Q. did you reserve a variable to reference the full path of the downloaded file and/or just the constructed filename to pass to the commandline?

{file_name}? {full_path}? also may i suggest, {current_drive}.....for example i run Ketrian from a USB drive, so the drive letter is not always consistent, and i have to go into computer management and re-letter the drive. (Portable Start Menu has something very similar which i use, since Windoze cant digest relative app paths)

if .NET's regex engine supports named capture groups...you can do a lot of interesting things like populating passed user variable names with their resulting values that can be then referenced in (command)scripts later?

*picture Homer Simpson drooling*....mmmmm.

Guest Leeoniya

...sorry for flooding this thread, but i cant edit my prev posts : (.

small correction to last reply: you dont need regex to populate the variables, just use the same system you have now for the time being and make all the user defined variables available in the commandline script...should be easy.

- Make "Show in Groups" by user category.

Just sort by category and you'll have it grouped.

- Other random things: color coding for categories, user defined update order, resume interrupted downloads, bandwidth speed limits, if asynch updating is implemented - limit max # of simultaneous updates, drag and drop for various tasks.

I'm not going to implement a download manager. Maybe a couple of features, but not all of them.

- Personally, i'd change the fill color/outline color of the progress bars to something more tango-theme colored and add a few px row padding (similar to grouped display between rows in the same group) when not displaying in groups.

I prefer system style.

- Progress and Target columns are non-resizable.

The first one doesn't need it, the latter one is auto-sized.

- there's a 1px or 2px vertical white space at the end of the progress bar when at 100%

Well...doesn't matter to me ;)

Haven't tested the commandline options yet, but will report any bugs i stumble upon and more ideas that come up.

None yet.

Q. did you reserve a variable to reference the full path of the downloaded file

Yes, {file}.

Hi Flo,

I am having problem getting slim version of CCleaner same as Johnny posted earlier, except he posted it is working for him again... for me still not working.

Am using Ketarin 0.9.5 (although when I click the 'info' button in Ketarin, the about box shows 0.9.3.0 -- I did verify I unzipped the 0.9.5 zip file I just downloaded, can you confirm that shows wrong version?).

I have the download URL for CCleaner Slim as: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds ... ading-slim

Ketarin returns error:

CCleaner Slim The downloaded file is not a binary file type (text/html; charset=utf-8). Possibly there is an error page.

Another point. CCleaner Slim version scrape -- the words I need to search for, to scrape version information for the saved filename, occur AFTER the version number :-/ See this page: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Would it be possible to modify the scrape function so that I can set an "anchor" string on the page first? Then set my start and end strings EARLIER or LATER relative to the anchor string position on the page? In this example, "- Slim - No Toolbar" would be my anchor, it *follows* the version number. If I could set that as my anchor, then set my start selection to be "CCleaner v" that occurs right before the anchor, and use " - Slim" for my end selection, I can scrape the full version info for the downloaded filename. Your thoughts?

Also. I would like Ketarin to grab me the new version of *Ketarin* whenever it's available, but so far I have not been able to do this :-) Any tips on how to set Ketarin up so I can stay current? :-)

Thanks as always and regards,

--appyface

Hi Johnny,

Thank you!!! I did go to the "click here if it does not" to get the download link, apparently I didn't copy it into Ketarin. My bad!!! That IS the download link I thought I was using and having trouble with. I have no excuse :-( good or otherwise, I need to be more careful when I *double check* arf... Thanks for pointing that out, working properly here now!!!

Best regards,

--appyface

I'm not too fond of this anchor thing. Regular expressions as additional option should suffice once they are implemented.

Also, you will be able to keep Ketarin up-to-date as soon as I have implemented a proper download link ;)

Hi Flo,

Sorry, I missed the part about incorporating RegEx in an upcoming version, that would be great, I'll take it! I use RegEx daily.

Which implementation of RegEx will you use? In particular I am interested in lookbehind function. Will that be supported?

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

Guest Federico

Hi Flo,

great work you have made with Ketarin.

Let me suggest you two things:

1) a little page on your site to use Ketarin to find updates for Ketarin ^_^

2) a sort of import / export feature to share well formed configurations to update files between users of Ketarin

Anyway, a lot of thanks for all your good work!

Federico