Whenever attempting to burn a DVD-Video disc from a VIDEO_TS folder, the disc is unplayable on a stand-alone DVD player. It is still playable on a PC. I have had this issue on the latest version of CDBurnerXP (4.2.2.984) as well as all previous versions that I have used.

• 5 weeks later...

Same error here, with the 2 last version of CdburnerXP.

Video DVD feature and finalize.

Burned with Pio111D, 116D, Samsung sh203N, Lg h42n, Nec7203s.

The dvd play perfect on the ps3 and pc but don't play on Samsung HD950, Philips DVP9000, Philips 963sa, Sony ES900.

Original dvd ripped with dvdfab, the same folder burned with nero or imgburn work flawless.

Try with at least 4-5 different movie, burned with cdburnerxp don't work, with others program yes.

Bye.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have this same problem too. Followed your instructions to create a video-dvd and it won't play in my DVD player. As well as this CDBurner XP wouldn't close down after finishing copying. I even did ctrl-alt-delete and end task, but still it persisted. I had to re-boot my machine. This happened twice, and I have a pretty stable machine. No problems with other software. Any suggestions? Because I will be uninstalling when I get home if not...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

May be CDBurner is simply too rigorous.

I had the same problem as badadjective, haschel74 and DoLLo. Here is a solution which works for me and an attempt of explanation:

Solution:

download ifoedit freeware (http://www.ifoedit.com/)

backup your VIDEO_TS folder

launch ifoedit

open your VIDEO_TS.ifo file

click on “Get VTS sectors” (this will correct possible errors in ifo files).

burn your DVD

Tell me if it works.

Attempt of explanation

CdBurnerXP uses apparently the contents of IFO files to generate the table of contents of the DVD (even with the data disc function). If there are errors in IFO files, this table of contents is incomplete.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone resolved this problem yet?

I tried ifoedit but it didn't find anything wrong with the files. I saved them anyways and bdiff'd them in unix and there was no difference in the files.

I am having same issue but didn't know it was a problem at first because my Philips DVP-5892 plays pretty much everything I've ever tried. But friends DVD players won't recognize DVD's burned with CDBurnerXP. However if I use Nero (5.5 even, ancient version) with same exact files and DVD burner they play just fine. So it's something that CDBXP is doing that they don't like. It's a great program but this is a bug without a doubt.

Hello.

May be CDBurner is simply too rigorous.

I had the same problem as badadjective, haschel74 and DoLLo. Here is a solution which works for me and an attempt of explanation:

Solution:

download ifoedit freeware (http://www.ifoedit.com/)

backup your VIDEO_TS folder

launch ifoedit

open your VIDEO_TS.ifo file

click on “Get VTS sectors” (this will correct possible errors in ifo files).

burn your DVD

Tell me if it works.

Attempt of explanation

CdBurnerXP uses apparently the contents of IFO files to generate the table of contents of the DVD (even with the data disc function). If there are errors in IFO files, this table of contents is incomplete.

• 3 weeks later...

I have exctly the same issue : I use the last version of cdBurnerXP (4.2.3.1110) to burn a DVD video, but I can't play it with my home DVD player (Samsung HD745).

I have no problem with Nero 5, and I use the same DVD-R or DVD-RW.

Like eric_ns16, I tried ifoedit but the files seem correct.

Certainly something is wrong with the structure of the DVD video.

This is a link which gives some explications (in french, sorry...):

http://forum.gravure-news.com/causes-d-incompatibilite-des-dvd-video-graves-avec-les-platines-de-salon-vt26805.htm

It seems that a 32k gap has to be inserted into the DVD (http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=renx0.jpg)

I will try PgcEdit and I told you if it works fine...

Here is what I find about 32k padding into DVD video:

"There can be gaps on a DVD. The most notable ones are those used to ensure that no ECC block contains any portion of an IFO file and its associated BUP file. Often times, you will see commercial DVD's authored with tiny menu files of 40 or 50 kb, exactly for this purpose. Since ECC blocks are 16 sectors long (32K), the easiest way to accomplish this is to ensure that there are 16 sectors between the end of the IFO and the start of the BUP. With VIDEO_TS.VOB or VTS_xx_0.VOB files less that 32K (or absent) this means using a gap.

If an IFO is unreadable (e.g. a CRC error in a sector), the player looks for the BUP, which is stored on the disk right after the VOBs for the title set. Now suppose the VOB's for that title set are small and the data is packed in. There is a chance that the BUP occupies exactly the same bad block that the IFO did, making the BUP useless and the disk, dead in the water.

Essentially, the basic problem is that without the proper spacing, a single CRC error that would normally only affect one of the two files will affect both, rendering both useless. If proper spacing exists, it would take at least two CRC errors (one affecting each) to render both the IFO and BUP useless."

The issue is that cd burner xp burns DVD video like data, whereas it should be burnt specifically. Home DVD player which are too rigorous can't play these DVD video.

I burnt the same DVD video with cd burner xp pro and ImgBurn: the ImgBurn DVD is playable, the cd burner xp one not.

• 1 month later...
Guest net_essential

I have the same problem too. The DVD video can playback on the computer but not on any stand alone DVD player. I try burn the same copy by NERO 9.0. It works perfectly. Then I compare the setting on the Nero and CDburnerXP.

I found it is because of the CDBurnerXP will select the file system as ISO9660/UDF which is incompatible with Standalone DVD player. The Nero 9 will select ISO9660 only in the file system and this option is not selectable.

I hope this issue will be fix in the next version of the CDBurnerXP. and force ISO9660 only in the file system when burning DVD video file.

Guest net_essential
Does it actually work when using this file system in CDBurnerXP?

YES, I have tried to burn a few DVD video discs with ISO9660 only file system. All video DVD are working fine on standalone DVD player.

THIS SHOULD GO TO THE BUG FORUM. but how?

I test with "UDF" only, but it doesn't work.

I don't think that the issue is the file system

Here :

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/blutach/Burning%20With%20PgcEdit.htm

you can find how other burning programs manage the burning of video DVD.

I think ImgBurn uses this method: an option "IFO/BUP 32K Padding" is suggested, and ii works fine with my standalone DVD player.

Thanks.

Guest net_essential

Here is more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Standalone DVD player compatibility

Some users have reported that video DVDs burned on their computers in UDF version 1.5 are not compatible with their set-top video DVD players. These players seem to be only compatible with UDF version 1.02 (that provides both UDF and ISO 9660 directories.) As some popular DVD burning programs default to UDF version 1.5 when burning video DVDs, users have found it necessary to avoid using the software wizard and instead manually configure the burn to version 1.02.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...