Sign in to follow this  
PoxyPig

Burning an audio CD using .mp3 files

The web help says that .mp3 files can be used when burning an audio CD.

However, CDBurnerXP will not burn the audio CD if the files I use are in .mp3 format. This occurs with only one file in the compilation.

When I click burn I get an error 'None of the tracks could be added to the audio image. The disc cannot be burned.'

I have no problem burning audio CDs if all files I use are .wav format.

I am using version 4.2.1.950 on Windows XP.

I had the exact problem last night (EDIT: using version 4.2.2), and ended up making a nice set of matching coasters that look a lot like audio cd's. For me, it was usually 1 track in the compilation, an .mp3 with a long title that includes a long part in parentheses: "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations On A Shaker Hymn)" -- that's in the standard id3v2 title tag, not any other tag such as subtitle. That's the only thing that makes this one file stand out to me, but could be a coincidence. There are also lyrics in the id3v2 tag, but same with other mp3s.

I received a more generic message, saying there was a general burn problem, that my disc was probably low quality, and mostly likely now useless.

As PoxyPig reported, I simply converted to .wav first (dBpowerAMP music converter), then burned without a problem.

-Gg

I'm sorry, but I can't see any problem with this file. Actually, (if you are using the latest version) converting to WAV before cannot be a solution, because CDBurnerXP will do just that before the burning process automatically.

I'm sorry, but I can't see any problem with this file. Actually, (if you are using the latest version) converting to WAV before cannot be a solution, because CDBurnerXP will do just that before the burning process automatically.

Thanks for having a look, Flo. I don't think the problem is MP3s. Despite your WAV work-around (same if I first convert to WAV), 5-10% of my tracks (ripped with lame 3.97 via dBpowerAMP) cause disc errors when writing Audio Discs. That's way to high. Hopefully the developer of the burning module with sort that out. I'll watch for good news.

In a case, I'd rather expect the source of the problem somewhere else. It could be, that your drive is out of order. You might want to try a different burning application to verify that. Also, using lower burning speeds could help.

In a case, I'd rather expect the source of the problem somewhere else. It could be, that your drive is out of order. You might want to try a different burning application to verify that. Also, using lower burning speeds could help.

Thanks, again, Flo. You are most likely exactly right about my drive -- at least 4 years old. I have tried lower speeds. I've also tried re-ordering the track list for Audio Discs to verify whether the problem is a specific track or a specific spot in the media. Nonetheless, it's always the same tracks that cause problems. Same problems occur with other burning apps like dBpowerAMP CD Writer and Helium Music Manager.

Looks like I finally need a new drive.

PS: I've just read release notes for 4.2.3.1062. Compilations from multiple media is a fantastic development -- exactly what I was hoping for!!

After updating to version 4.23.1110, plus several XP updates, plus a .NET framework update the problem I was having looks to have been resolved.

I no longer get the error I was getting and have been able to use several .mp3 files for an audio CD.

Thanks for a great program!

Just one suggestion Flo. Could the length of the gap between audio tracks be made adjustable? 2 seconds can be a bit short sometimes.

Thanks again