Sign in to follow this  
Guest Another Newbie

Newbie - Bootable ISO?

Guest Another Newbie

I'm trying to make a bootable CD of BootIt. I've used their utility to make an ISO image. Now I'm trying to burn this ISO image onto a CD-R and make it bootable. Can this program do this? I can't figure out how to do it.

Do I need to make the CD bootable first and then burn the ISO image?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Guest CT

I don't know of an easy way to include a boot sector image once an ISO file has been created, so you may have to create the ISO image (or create the CD directly) again.

There are a number of ways to go about this, but the easiest is to use the .ima DOS boot image included with the product under C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP Pro 3\Tools\DosBootimage.IMA. You need to specify that the disk is bootable under 'Disc/Boot Options...' then tick the 'Make Disc Bootable' option & ensure the IMA file is specified under 'Boot Image Properties' (I think it should be by default).

There are other utilities out there that can extract boot images from bootable CDs or floppies if you want a different flavour of DOS or a network boot, etc. There are also some boot images available from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm.

Note: you can't access NTFS partitions created for Win 2000/XP/2003 directly with boot disks that run some sort of DOS, such as the one included with the product.

Guest CT

PS - I take it back, it looks like the DOS boot image included with CDBXP will access NTFS partitions as I've just tried it on one of my virtual machines and it seems to work. Other DOS images won't though.