conversion to mpeg-2?

Guest petit-pere

Hi you all

This may sound as a silly question to most of you, but as I don't know much about video conversion, I need your help.

If I create an AVI file can I burn this file on a DVD with CDBurnerXP Pro and will it convert my file to mpeg-2 so I can watch my movie in my DVD reader, confortably sitting in the sofa? :D

That would be nice :wink:

Thanks very much for your answers.

Did you already have a look at the helpfile? I think your questions are answered there.

Additional Note: Create an audio_ts and video_ts directory and out the video file into video_ts.

Ah, ok. Well, it is possible to burn video DVDs if you convert your video with another program. But CDBXPP can't convert these files and it is not able to burn VCDs/SVCDs yet. BTW, if you only have a slow internet connection, better wait for the next version which should be released shortly.

Hi you all

This may sound as a silly question to most of you, but as I don't know much about video conversion, I need your help.

If I create an AVI file can I burn this file on a DVD with CDBurnerXP Pro and will it convert my file to mpeg-2 so I can watch my movie in my DVD reader, confortably sitting in the sofa? :D

That would be nice :wink:

Thanks very much for your answers.

Yes, this is easy as long as you have the right free software. Do a search for TMPGEnc v.12a. This is the last freeware version of the program that will allow you to convert those AVI files to Mpeg-2 (DVD) format. From there you can go ahead and use those files with the program "DVDStyler" to create an ISO file which can be burned with CDBurnerXP Pro.

So, to recap:

Convert the AVI to MPEG-2 with TMPGEnc v.12a

Import the MPEG-2 files you created into DVDStyler and create your DVD Movie to ISO.

Burn the ISO WIth CDburnerXP Pro

I recently did this with some AVI files I grabbed from my DV camcorder of the birth of my daughter. Worked out spectacular!

Hey, thx for this tip. I will add this to helpfile.

No problem! This unfortunately is the ONLY way to get AVI (or other types) to MPEG-2 for DVD creation for free. After v.12a TMPGEnc removed the Mpeg-2 encoding feature for some reason...probably either because they planned on charging for it (which they do now) , or maybe because they were demanded royalties from someone for the conversion, or possibly both. So, as it stands, the only free way to get Mpeg-2 from your video files is to use this program. No worries however, since it works great! :)

Tmpgenc12a is not offered on their site anymore although you may find it elsewhere.

Actually AVI to Mpeg will do it also and it's free. Also, quenc and freeEnc will convert the video to Mpeg2 and FFMPEGUI will do the audio. All of these are free, although quenc & freeEnc require using Avisynth.. Hope this helps.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Rog

Well, I will make it as easy as pissible for the users. I am currently creating a TMPGenc compilation, including a patch for english and 2 customized presets for DVD video.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has been "covered up" that there was a freeware version of the program at one point that does this. If I look at version logs from the site they start at v.12b (after Mpeg2 support was removed), but it WAS freeware then, and that particular version is STILL freeware now. I downloaded v12a and the English patch in one zip with a quick google search.

I saw your guide, looks good! I am confused on something however. I see you added two mcf templates to TMPGEnc. The new DVD PAL is self explanatory, but what about this "DVD-NTSC-Custom.mcf"? What exactly is the difference between this mod you added and the original "DVD (NTSC).mcf" that is included in the package??

Well, PAL is for everyone who needs PAL and NTSC is for everyone who needs NTSC. These templates are some modifications of the origial ones I found on the internet and are supposed to be better ;)

Well, I will make it as easy as pissible for the users. I am currently creating a TMPGenc compilation, including a patch for english and 2 customized presets for DVD video.

I must say that, being English, the correct expression is "piss easy".

I must also say that reading "as easy as pissible" had me laughing for a whole 5 minutes when I read it.

And I registered just to say this. :)

Keep up the great work, chaps. Superb software.

I have been looking over your guide, and while it is for the most part very informative, there is a problem with the last section. You cannot simply move a video file into the video_ts folder and have it work that way. I see one AVI file and one MPG file in the pictured description...both of which would not play in a DVD player after burning. I believe the video must be in IFO/VOB format for this to work.

Guest Benji

WHOA! Thanks for sharing dpzektor. I did that, and it took not only half the time of the way I used to do it, but didnt waste any more of my cds.

Cheers mate :D:D