CDBurnerXP shows "no compatible drive" but has worked before

Guest kenc

I too have an HP Pavilion with Win7 and AMD processor with this problem "no compatible drive". Has there been a resolution?

I can only assume one day flo will put the code in for these hp lap top with the amd processor,

Have try out other programs they have the ability to do the work, but I like CDBurnerXP the best ..

Flo please help us out.... :firefox:

Guest ratsandwich

no compatible drive Error Fix.

This is caused by the generic AHCI driver that is installed on machines (all) by Windows. This is related to the AHCI driver and NOT the drives.

Windows will automatically install the AHCI driver included with windows. CDBXP doesn't like this generic driver.

Solution:

You must download the appropriate AHCI driver for your system (Most commonly Intel Matrix Storage Manager) and install it. Make note of the installation path.

Then go to device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > SATA AHCI Controller (whatever it is called it will say AHCI in it) > Right click and choose 'Update Driver Software' and Browse to the folder that was created by the downloaded driver package. Hit OK, Hit Next. Successfully updated Driver (hopefully). Reboot required. Run CDBXP. Fixed.

This drove me batsh*t for about a month. I didn't have time to sit down and deal with it and I didn't want to install bloatware garbage on my system just to burn a CD/DVD. CDBXP is, by far, the best option for what should be a simple task. Elegant, full featured, lightweight.

Thank you for this program.

Guest ratsandwich
This Laptop does not have an intel processor,,,,,,IT has AMD, I have not seen anything on amd site that relates to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_H ... _Interface

This has nothing to do with AMD processors. Go look for your MOBO SATA controller driver, or maybe what they they call the chipset drivers. It's the SATA AHCI controller driver issue. Good Luck. Goodbye. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi at all, i had the same Problem with my dell studio 15 Notbook an the Optiarc BC 5600 S Drive.

After installation of the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager from here

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 2〈=eng

everything works fine.

I hope it will help somebody who has the same problem.

I found it here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... ldID=17882

It worked for me. I was having the same difficulty on a Dell Studio 15 with Windows 7. I even uninstalled cdburnerxp and reinstalled it... nothing worked... but this intel storage matrix thing did work after installing and restarting.

Same problem on a HP Pavilion dv7, with AMD Phenom II quad-core, running Windows7 Home Premium 64bit, with a "hp DVDRAM GT30L" CD/DVD drive. CD BurnerXP sees the CD/DVD drive in every mode except "Data Disk." I believe I have now tried all the possible remedies listed at http://cdburnerxp.se/help/appendices/troubleshooting:

Nero Burn Rights - Installed - tried - no effect.

RAID Drivers for AMD - I installed the drivers titled "Raid Driver for Windows7" found at http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... -64.aspx#3. I followed ratsandwich's instructions to "go to device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > SATA AHCI Controller (whatever it is called it will say AHCI in it) > Right click and choose 'Update Driver Software' and Browse to the folder that was created by the downloaded driver package. Hit OK." However, Windows told me "The best driver software for your device is already installed" and wouldn't let me install the selected driver.

Drive Letter - The drive letter is "E", so I'm okay there.

Check KB:929461- I followed the link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 and followed the instructions for manually changing the registry. I found and deleted "LowerFilters" (there was no "UpperFilters").

Disable the AHCI mode - To be honest, I'm not real clear on how to do this. I did find some instructions somewhere on the Internet telling me how to "enable" AHCI. It told me to change a registry setting to "0", but when I got there, the setting was already at "0", so I don't know what I would change it to to disable AHCI.

Like everyone else on this forum, I really like CD BurnerXP and use it a lot. I'll keep using it for everything but data disks. Hope we can all be notified when there is a new version that overcomes this obstacle.

PS. One thing the CD BurnerXP website lacks - a donate button. I don't see one. Flo and/or whoever else, certainly deserves something for their time. Why should Bill Gates get all the love?

Believe me, I get a lot of "love" through OpenCandy ;)

You usually disable the AHCI mode in BIOS, instead you should install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager instead if it applies to your system. Otherwise you'll have to wait until an update is released by the burning library vendor.

Guest ratsandwich

Dude.

RAID Drivers for AMD - I installed the drivers titled "Raid Driver for Windows7" found at http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... -64.aspx#3. I followed ratsandwich's instructions to "go to device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > SATA AHCI Controller (whatever it is called it will say AHCI in it) > Right click and choose 'Update Driver Software' and Browse to the folder that was created by the downloaded driver package. Hit OK." However, Windows told me "The best driver software for your device is already installed" and wouldn't let me install the selected driver.

Drive Letter - The drive letter is "E", so I'm okay there.

Check KB:929461- I followed the link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 and followed the instructions for manually changing the registry. I found and deleted "LowerFilters" (there was no "UpperFilters").

If you installed the above driver you missed the "AHCI for Windows 7 62.7 MB 10.1 12/13/2010"

This is your nugget. It's even Shiny & NEW!

Disable the AHCI mode - To be honest, I'm not real clear on how to do this. I did find some instructions somewhere on the Internet telling me how to "enable" AHCI. It told me to change a registry setting to "0", but when I got there, the setting was already at "0", so I don't know what I would change it to to disable AHCI.

Like The Man says: In the BIOS.... When your HP boots (turns on) you see some words that say "press escape key...." Press either F10 or Del to enter Bios. Google the rest. Look for "Drive Configuration" and "IDE" or "SATA". Try "disable AHCI" but more likely the option will be "AHCI" or "Compatability Mode". Go with "Compatability Mode" But try the drivers on that page first. HERE:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/10-12_win7_32-64_ahci.exe

Also, Do not buy HP. They are for Sh*t. Especially the DV series, Famous for the graphics chip failure. The brand has gone to crap since compaq. I have even heard the there are NO SETTINGS for the SATA drives in the BIOS.... The HP corporation is famous for the "Planned Obsolescence" philosophy. Hp is to suck.

Remember, This is an Intel AHCI Driver issue. Not a CDBXP issue. Start with AHCI. End with AHCI. FIX AHCI!

Guest ratsandwich having issues

I would join your forum but the email confirmation never showed up and the noreply@cdburnerxp.se address gave me an undeliverable error when I tried to contact you.

ratsandwich

at gee male. ;)

Unfortunately this is not always the correct answer. Here is my setup:

Processor: AMD64 Quad-Core Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2, AuthenticAMD

RAM: DDR3

Software Version: CDBurnerXP 4.3.8.2474

CD Burner Type: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653G

Things I have tried

1. Disable AHCI - My Dell will not operate in ATA Mode. I simply get an endless windows start failure error and reboot

2. AHCI Drivers - I installed the 32/64 AHCI drivers from the ATI site (AHCI for Windows 7 62.7 MB 10.1 12/13/2010); no luck

3. Driver Letter - Mine is D:, so I am good there

I have tried ALL the recommendations listed on the site and nothing works. The only major difference in mine is that Windows DOES recognize my drive as a burner drive; its only CDBXP that doesnt. Any other recommendations? I am going to hate to leave this software because I love it very much if I cant find a solution and soon.

I unfortunately do not have an AMD AHCI chipset available for testing, so I can't give you any hints on that issue. Maybe you can tell me what mainboard you use so that I can possibly get a testing machine.

• 1 month later...
Hi at all, i had the same Problem with my dell studio 15 Notbook an the Optiarc BC 5600 S Drive.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17268&strOSs=164&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%2032〈=eng

everything works fine.

Yeah It works perfect, Above link got expired, try this link.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... %C2%AE+RST)〈=eng

Mahesh

I unfortunately do not have an AMD AHCI chipset available for testing, so I can't give you any hints on that issue. Maybe you can tell me what mainboard you use so that I can possibly get a testing machine.

Flo, this is all the information that I have gathered on the computer and board hope this help out..

HP Pavilion Laptop DV7-1450us

Product Number NV199UA#ABA

Window 7 Home Premiun 64 bit

AMD Processor Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile AAM-82 2.20 GHz

CD/DVD Drive HL-DL-ST DVDRAM GT20L firmware DC03

listed as Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20L DC03 (E:) (SATA)

System Board 30FC 01.99 by Compal as reported by cpu-z 1.56

chipset by AMD 780G rev00

southbridge by AMD SB700

Bios F.49 by Hewlett-Packard 8/09

Thanks

Baitman :D

• 2 months later...
Guest FalconFour

It's also a problem on a PC I'm trying to use at the office... making me look like kind of an I.T. idiot when someone asked, "hey, I need to burn a CD, what should I use", and I reply with "Windows sucks, let's try CDBurnerXP"! Then I get a call about 5 minutes later saying "Hey! It says I don't have a burner! What's up with this, I thought you said I had a burner!" *shakes fist*

Priority ONE: Come up with a better way to detect and notify users of "can't find a burner" scenarios, AS WELL AS advanced 'debug' options like showing a list of all detected devices (IT DOES DETECT my drive when I try to "read" a disc, but doesn't even acknowledge the drive's presence outside of the "read" window).

Priority TWO: Figure out how ImgBurn and *every other burning application on the planet* does it... and do it that way. Simple enough, eh?

Hardware: HP p6404y desktop. Phenom II X4. Windows 7 x64. nVidia nForce/GeForce 9100 chipset. AHCI, of course - and I'm not about to disable AHCI for a CD burner.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Hi,

Indeed, works fine, have many thanks for this solution.

Link is not working anymore, but the Intel Martix Storage Manager is working. Intel download center and search for "Martix Storage Manager".

This is really helpful, thanks a lot.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PikPik

Hi!

Thanks for info!!!

Solved my problem!

Installed Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver from HP site on my HP4520s WinPro7-32bit.

After PC restart CDBurnerXP worked flawlessly!

• 1 month later...
Guest wetnap
It's also a problem on a PC I'm trying to use at the office... making me look like kind of an I.T. idiot when someone asked, "hey, I need to burn a CD, what should I use", and I reply with "Windows sucks, let's try CDBurnerXP"! Then I get a call about 5 minutes later saying "Hey! It says I don't have a burner! What's up with this, I thought you said I had a burner!" *shakes fist*

Priority ONE: Come up with a better way to detect and notify users of "can't find a burner" scenarios, AS WELL AS advanced 'debug' options like showing a list of all detected devices (IT DOES DETECT my drive when I try to "read" a disc, but doesn't even acknowledge the drive's presence outside of the "read" window).

Priority TWO: Figure out how ImgBurn and *every other burning application on the planet* does it... and do it that way. Simple enough, eh?

Hardware: HP p6404y desktop. Phenom II X4. Windows 7 x64. nVidia nForce/GeForce 9100 chipset. AHCI, of course - and I'm not about to disable AHCI for a CD burner.

Yup I also have an x4 760 amd chipset, not that new a mb at all, I installed the amd ahci drivers linked above and no joy.

Still no compatible drives.

Everything else works though. Turning off ahci is NOT an option on any modern system, its not quite stepping down from dma to pio, but it is absurd for a modern program to demand such a change.

Wetap.

You are correct on those statements had install img and yes it does detect the drive and so does nero,

I can only assume Flo the writer of this software will get it all together one day,

Seems like a driver is misssing for dection of the drive.

As long as Numedia Soft is not fixing their stuff and StarBurn is not making faster progress in regard to their bugs and making available more of their features to my programming language, we won't see any updates here.

• 4 months later...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17268&strOSs=164&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%2032〈=eng

everything works fine.

Worked for me as well. Different link though

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17882&ProdId=2101〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Vista%2032*&DownloadType=Drivers