Sign in to follow this  
Barefoot_Tom

Can't Play Movie on DVD Player

I copied a video onto a DVD-RW disk. The process indicated all the files were copied successfully, and all of the files are indeed present on the disk. The disk was formatted, as directed, using UDF. CDBXP 4 shows that the disk is correct. Nertheless, when I put the DVD in my player, it tells me that the disk is not formatted properly, and it won't play.

What have I forgotten to do, or what am I doing wrong.

Tom

DVD players don't support UDF. Use ISO9660/Joilet instead.

P.S. Have you ever tried to use search? :wink:

Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is figure out how to do that; since this is the first time I've been into this site, I didn't think to use Search - I did, however look through many recent posts for similar problems, but couldn't find anything relevant.

BTW is that "Joilet" as you spelled it, or "Joliet" where I once lived?

I found a program which will format the disk in ISO9660/Joliet, and did so. I burned the video onto the disk, and found it would play using MPC, but my DVD player (standalone) still says the disk is improperly formatted and won't play it. The Mfg's specifications for the player say that disks shoould be formatted in DVD-Video. To confuse things even more, I formatted a disk using Roxio DLA, which formats disks in UDF format. I burned this disk, using Roxio Creator 9, and it played on my DVD player.

I don't like the Roxio software, and would prefer to use CDBurnerXP if possible. Is there any way to format the disk using DVD-Viideo format and then burn it using CDBXP?

Sorry to be so dense, but you've lost me. I have that file structure, that's where the video I'm trying to burn resides, but I can't find any reference to it in the File menu. In the Disc menu there is a choice called "File System", which has a sub-menu containing the various ISO and UDF formats. Was this what you referred to or is there something else? If it was, what choice should I make here?

When I successfully burn the file using the Roxio software, the format is UDF, and the location on the disc is in a folder named "Video_TS" the same as that on my PC. Even though I can then watch the movie using the DVD player, it appears that only about half the files from the folder on my computer actually get burned to the disc. This is the situation I'm trying to remedy by using CDBXP.

Thank you!

I tried what you had suggested, and, mirabile dictu, it worked!!. Contrary to all my expectations, I was able to burn a disc which is capable of being played on my DVD player (Now, if I can only remember what I did).

Thank you again for having the patience to lead me through this jungle.

Tom

There is a video-DVD entry in the file menu.

Maybe it will be much better to place this item in the action selection dialog.

P.S. What's the difference between simple burning AUDIO_TS/VIDEO_TS folders and that entry in the File menu?

Guest Dale Beers

When asked to summit files to be burned on dvd, be sure it is ONLY: video_ts (on on addition) and audio-ts (on your second addition). This means you will be making two folder additions to be burned to your dvd disc. Do not add the dvd folder that contains these two folders! Just the contents of the dvd folder that contains the two folders, video-ts and audio-ts folders. The files in the video-ts the burner takes care of during the burn.

The other concern is the file system setting. Be very sure the burning of the video is set to ISO 9660 + JOLIET. ISO 9660 or JOLIET or UDF separately selected or any other setting will not do!

Try this and let see what your dvd player does.