Sign in to follow this  
xrayspex

DVD/CD Writer Unrecognized by XP Since Install CD Burner Pro

Since installing CD Burner XP Pro 3, Windows itself does not recognize my HP DVD Writer 300n, an approved device, as recordable (there is no Recording tab under Properties) and it does not see a brand-new CD-RW disk as an empty disk to which files may be copied (via the CD Burning mechanism); it reports "G:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function". All this worked OK before CD Burner XP Pro was installed. Although CD Burner XP Pro will erase CDs and attempt to write to them, more often than not it fails to complete on large burns.

So I uninstalled CD Burner XP Pro but Windows still does not recognize it as a recordable device. I have also removed and reinstalled the drivers for the DVD writer and tried to System Restore to before installing CD Burner XP Pro; all to no avail.

I suspect that CD Burner XP Pro may have changed some Registry values but what?

It's now all as if Windows regards the DVD writer as a CD-ROM drive; there is no reference anymore, under "Send to" or "Copy", to this drive.

Please help me get my system back to normal.

When I first used CD Burner XP Pro it would often totally hang the PC and I would have to manually reboot to get it back.

Now while CD Burner is running it inhibits Windows own CD Burning facilities. It does this by setting the Registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoCDBurning = 1

whatever it was before, usually 0. When it normally terminates it resets this value to what it was on entry. If however, CD Burner is killed prematurely, by rebooting say, it will leave the Registry in this state, thus inhibiting Windows own CD Burning facilities from then on. Thereafter CD Burner would always reset this value to what it was on entry, namely 1, even on a normal termination.

So If this happens to you, just set that Registry value back to 0.

but my windows burn feature still does not recognize my 'F' drive for reading

Doesn't seem same problem.

I could READ my DVD drive, but could not RECORD to it.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.