Sign in to follow this  
Telek

Slow verify speed - so why does it happen?

Ok, so I see that many people have posted about the slow verify speeds, however I am very confused as to why Flo has no control over this, and how widespread this issue actually is. Clearly at least some people are having problems with it, so perhaps we should figure out how many?

On my system (x64 Core 2 Quad, 8GB, Vista, IDE 16x Burner) it takes about 8 minutes to burn a disk at 8x, and on average 84 minutes to verify it.

Yes: 84 minutes. That's an average of 900kb/sec. Doesn't matter what I'm burning, where I'm burning from, or what I'm burning onto.

I can do a manual md5sum off the disk of all files in about 6 minutes, Nero verify takes about 7 minutes.

For me (and I suspect many others) verification is a mandatory feature. It is rare, but errors do happen on burnt disks, so it's only prudent to do a verify after burn. However 84 minutes to verify makes this program pretty useless. I've written a quick script on my own to do an md5sum of the data I burn and compare it to the disk but since pretty much every other burning software that I've tried does this automatically and fast I'd rather use an all-in-one solution.

Flo: Why is it out of your control? If the library itself that you're using is the problem (as I infer from one of your other posts) then why not either a) work with whomever wrote it to fix it, B) write your own routine to do the verify manually, or c) ask for contributions from the community for a verify routine.

This is a great program and I congratulate you on your accomplishment! However without a working verify it has limited usefulness.

It doesn't make much sense to write one's own verifying routine. Lot of work, probably buggy and little use for most users. It could even turn out slower, you never know. I'll not touch those features implemented by the burning library.

I came here specifically to seek an answer to this issue. When the ET for verifying got to 169 minutes, I aborted. It was just a video DVD anyway, and the movie works fine. But for more critical data, I guess this software is not the best solution.

(Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108)

The verification speed should be definitely improved. It takes almost forever to verify a DVD - I can't imagine how long would a blu-ray disc verification take. I stopped using CDBurnerXP because of this along with the CPU usage bug, but I would be happy to come back after these things are fixed.

Sorry, but i don't believe that there aren't other free library that do a file-set compare verification (probably better than the verification done in the burning library)...

Yikes!!

New CDBXP user and love the interface, functionality, but.... after burning approx. 4GB on DVD+R ('data disk' option; approx 20 mins; 3000 files), CDBXP took 1hr 20mins to do Verify step!. Files are mostly .exe and .jpg. I'm a plain vanilla guy, so using all default settings.

My machine is 2.3 GHz Celeron, running Win XP Home SP3; 1GB DDR SDRAM; new Plextor PX-870A PATA internal; CDBurnerXP ver. 4.2.5.1541. Source data is on Western digital 160GB IDE internal hard drive. DVD Burner is installed as 'cable select' (i.e. not IDE Master or Slave).

Being new to DVD burning, i assumed 20 minutes to burn 3GB was OK, but i see from other posts that this may be very slow also. Could the speed problem be related to the way the hard drive and DVD burner are established on the IDE channels? Or the hard drive driver, DVD burner driver or? The Primary IDE controller is set for Ultra DMA mode 5 for device 0 and device 1. The Secondary IDE controller is set for PIO on device 0, and grayed out for device 1. I'm thinking that my two hard drives are on the primary IDE channel, and maybe the DVD burner is device 0 on secondary IDE..but couldn't find anything in Windows tools that displays this information.

If the verification speed issue is un-fixable, i don't see how i can use this for my hard drive backup ? Thoughts?

Is it just me or bluray verification still takes enormously long time? Like 50 minutes or more, while burning alone (4x) is finished within 25 mins...

Is there any good free alternative to CD Burner XP supporting bluray recording?

As far as I've been told by Flo CDBXP Supports blue ray. Plus it works great to me. A little slower than a DVD (29mins for a 4GB DVD / 34 Minutes for a 4GB Blue-Ray)

You can probably expect some speed improvements in the next major version of CDBurnerXP, but I can't improve anything immediately. As donor, you should be able to try the 4.5 beta in the beta forum.

You can probably expect some speed improvements in the next major version of CDBurnerXP, but I can't improve anything immediately. As donor, you should be able to try the 4.5 beta in the beta forum.

In Get Latest Beta here! thread there is 4.5 alpha (4.5.0.2717, which is presumably pretty old build, 4.4 has 2854 nowadays for instance) in first post's attachment and in known issues section there is following statement: Verification does not work.

So I'm not sure whether it can be really that useful for testing possible verification speed improvement. Or you meant some other version?

I understand it , but why did you suggest giving 4.5 alpha a try if you knew it won't work at all?

BTW just now I am in the process of verifying bd with 13 files in 4.4. 25 mins passed, progressbar is in 3/7 and remaining time is shown as 57 mins. It's insane. (Burning alone took 23 mins.)

Two problems: 

1.  I downloaded the latest version.  WebRoot reports that it is infected.  So I kept using the older one, v4.5.6.5931, I think.  I think, because,

2.  I cannot find any "about" information button or tab for the program, and

3.  It takes over two hours to verify a half-empty CD burned from an ISO.  The same ISO was burned and verified with an old version of Roxio in under 6 minutes.

So, you have problems.