taipan

Missing files

Burned a data compilation (DVD) with:

- 577 files, 27 folders

- 1,81 GB (1.951.511.410 Bytes)

Got a DVD with:

- 510 files, 26 folders

- 1,60 GB (1.727.264.482 Bytes)

One folder is missing ("Sommerlager 2008"). Using the current release (4.2.4.1235), Windows XP and a LiteOn DH20A4P.

http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cdbxp09030401ip8.png

http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cdbxp09030402nh0.png

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cdbxp09030403ia1.png

Guest taipan (not logged in)

I'll give ISOBuster a try when back home. Interesting: on the third screenshot CDBXP says the total size (disc space used) is 1,8 GB though.

ISOBuster found the missing files and was able to recover them. ISO and Joliet FS include all files, but UDF doesn't.

Forgot to say: verification was enabled (result: everything fine)...

Seems to be related to: http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5535&start=0 (also an NMS-bug?)

Well, as long as cpu usage and UDF bugs do exist, I won't use CDBXP anymore. Major bugs like these (though I know it's not your fault, Flo) have to be fixed immediately and not months or years later (NMS doesn't seem to give a shit). Sadly, a bad burning library trashes a good piece of software...

Based on the amount of people having the same problem with the UDF system, I thought you might have a found an easy way to reproduce this somehow in the meantime. And the cpu usage thing... well, that should be happening on every system most likely, so no reason for NMS not to fix it.

If I can help in a way, just let me know!

Guest elleon

Same problem here.

I wrote five files to DVD-R with CDBurnerXP (435MB, 514MB, 583MB, 520MB, 1047MB) but only the first four showed up. :cry:

I repeated the test twice with the same result, then used Nero on the same system and everything was fine.

I use WindowsXP SP3, CDBurnerXP 4.2.4.1300, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D

Cheers

Elleon

Guest Guest

*bump*

As this is a rather precarious bug, it should be treated with priority...

Guest Nigel Green (ngreen@optilan.com)

Hi,

I have been using CDBurnerXP 4.2.4.1322 to compile ISO Data DVDs with a range of Video, Microsoft Excel 2003 Spreadsheet and Microsoft Word 2003 files. I regularly get a failure to burn the Word files but others burn OK. This is frustrating when the 'Finalise Disk' is used because the DVD is wasted.

If you want to attempt to reproduce the 'missing file problem' I suggest you try the a mixture with Microsoft Word files.

Regards - Nigel Green

Guest Another guest

Wow, i have the same problem.. I already wasted several DVD+R' discs before reading this thread.

It seems the problem has been apparant for several months already? WHAT?!

Well, time to uninstall CDburnerXP and use something else!

Well, if you feel better, blame me. But I really can't do anything about it. That is, except for switching to a different burning library which would require me to invest a couple of months of my time.

Maybe investing some months (as easy as it may sound, it certainly won't be, I know) would be the better choice. Better than delivering a software with a burning lib with major bugs the vendor isn't able to fix after years... and in those cases CDBurnerXP will be seen as the buggy software (though some people know it's the library), damaging its former good rating and making people reject the software.

I've already posted this information into a thread under General Discussion board, but I found out that an easy way to reproduce the "missing files" bug is to add some files into existing folders while continuing a multisession DVD.

I hope that this could help solving this great problem...

It may actually still happen that NMS releases a new version. In the past, it turned out to take years, but eventually they did it. After all, I paid them quite a lot of money and would rather have them do the work (in regard to burning issues).

As a paying customer, isn't it your right to get fixes for obviously NMS-caused bugs a.s.a.p.?

And concerning the "missing files" problem: if you were able to extend the "verify" option as to check amount of files and file sizes afterwards, we'd at least be able to reveal this.

No possibility to fight the contract and at least getting the money back? ;)

But what about the "extended verify" suggestion?

Maybe you still didn't get what I was talking about ;) Or did you really reject the "extended verify" on your side of the code?

You mean that I should implement my own verification feature to check for missing files? Nope, I guess that's not worth the effort for now, because it doesn't fix the problem.

Correct - it doesn't fix the bug, but at least users would be notified in case this issue occurs. The main problem now i.m.h.o. is that you use the verification and it confirms everything is okay though it is not at all. And I guess it would be worth the effort (imagine you burn a couple of DVDs with verification enabled and afterwards delete the original files on HDD because you rely on the result of verification - if you're lucky, you coincidentally realize that something is wrong and possibly know how to regain access to the missing files by using IsoBuster... but all other users will get stuck).