Missing files

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since I have implemented a fix to importing previous sessions, I've rarely got reports related to missing files. So I'd say that it's fixed, but since I never had a case I could reproduce without involving multisession discs, I can't tell for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest taipan (not logged in)

As the post's initiator I do have to say that unfortunately this bug is not fixed yet, since I did not create a multisession disc (even less import a previous session) in my reproducible case...

Guest Chill

steps to reproduce:

1) Put two files to the newly created project.

2) Rename both files in the project (set the names that will be written to the disk)

3) add some more files

4) burn

5) the second file you renamed will be missing!

is this bug fixed yet?

Guest Chill

I didn't try to write an ISO image this way, but i've made two cup rests of my DVD-Rs.

I guess it's because of the starting segment (or so) naming routine, looks like it looses the newly defined name for a file and writes NULL instead, so the file is invisible on disc. You should check it under Debugger! It's just a guess however..

Guest Chill

How does it burn? via Windows API or what?

Maybe there are some issues with API calls. If you can't debug the burning process, you might be able to create a build with a detailed logging while burning. think..

btw, my machine is running under Win 7 ultimate x64 and i use 64-bit version of CDBurnerXP. And I do not use any security options of the HDD file system.

It's being burned by the Numedia SDK.

Either way, as long as I cannot reproduce any issue, I can neither create log files or analyse API calls.

maybe you should try to name the files like i did. here the names go:

06. Весенний мир как книга бытия (часть 1).wmv

06. Весенний мир как книга бытия (часть 2).wmv

and i renamed them to

ТГ 06. Весенний мир как книга бытия (часть 1).wmv

ТГ 06. Весенний мир как книга бытия (часть 2).wmv

then i've added some more files to the project and ran burn process.

so the second file was missing. it was ok when i did not rename the files, so i guess it's got to be a naming issue...

With this data I can reproduce the issue, but I don't know yet how to fix it. When creating an ISO image, the error does not occur apparently, so it is not a bug in the UI.

Guest Chill

maybe you should try to check for a new version of the Numedia SDK or report them on this issue.

it can really be a bug of the SDK!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Bronxio

I've got the same problem with the lastest version (just downloaded half an hour ago, 4.3.2.2140). 700.31 MB on a CD, one folder missing and three files of another one (five files in total). If there is somewhere where I can send my failed project, I'll send it if you tell me.

I don't know if this makes sense, but when I got this error I tried burning it again but this time I shortened a few directory names. I got a successful burn when I did that.

Can file name length be the cause?

Knight

• 2 months later...
I am disgusted. I have just lost a load of photos through using this burner.

For that, I suggest Windows Explorer CD Burner.

By coincidence, right now I was finishing recording a CD with a bunch of photos, and it worked like a charm through Windows Explorer.

I don't use CDBurnerXP for recording discs with complex file structures anymore, at least until this bug is fixed.

Regards,

Knight

• 3 weeks later...
Guest taipan (not logged in)
I am disgusted. I have just lost a load of photos through using this burner.

Well, the files aren't lost - you can recover them with tools like ISOBuster.

@ Flo: Would be nice if such kind of recovery instruction (hint) was included in the warning message ;)

• 2 months later...
Guest diabolobolo

Wow, what a let down. I just installed CDBurnerXP then burned a DVD+R with only four files (in two folders), and the second folder does not show up. It was burned in a single session. I also renamed the folders after creating them.

But now I see this problem has been there for almost a year and half. Well I guess I won't be using this program for now, which sucks because it's otherwise very intuitive.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elmarinero

Recently (maybe with the last update) CDBurnerXP started to lose one file. It always said that there was no error but when i looked for the files on the DVD one file was missing. I burned it again -> same. I checked the last burned DVDs -> same. It always seems to be the last file in alphabetical order. A week ago i would say, the error wasn't there, so it had to come with the last update.

ISOBuster is able to find the file so it isn't a big problem, but as I can see in ISO9660 and Joliet subtree are all files aviable, in the subtree UDF (green icon) one file is missing. Just saying and hoping this may help fixing the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest another guest

I had the same missing folder problem about a year ago, and now again... I only make backups on DVD rarely, so I forgot the bug in between.

I think that last year I managed to overcome the problem by writing an ISO first, and then burning to DVD -- but I'm not sure that this is what I did.

This time, I burned one 2 DVDs of photos without any problem, and then the third one had a folder missing. I burned everything Disk-at-once.

I did not change the names of the folders I drag-and-dropped in the first two DVDs, but I did change a folder's name in the third. This was the one that then went missing. This was also the last folder alphabetically.

I then re-burned the third DVD, moving the files of the folder that went missing before into a few seperate folders. I also renamed these folders. Again, one folder went missing, again the last one. But the other renamed folders are OK.

This time the missing folder only had 3 files, a total of about 24 MB. These files had longish filenames, the longest being 85 letters. These files were also in the folder that was missing in the previous try.

Since I'm now out of empty DVDs, I can't do systematic testing. But maybe this bugreport can help you pin down the problem:

- Something to do with renaming a folder?

- Or the last folder?

- Or something with longish filenames?

- Or some combination of the three?

- It is not a multi-session problem.

BTW, ISO Buster finds the missing folders under the ISO filesystem and the "blue arrows" (whatever they signify)... The UDF file system is lacking the folder.

The DVDs I used were Verbatim DVD-R, my drive gives its name as "TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB03".

Currently it looks like this error only happens if you use "UDF" additional to ISO/Joliet. If your file system structure does not require UDF, try burning without it.

Guest another guest

I'll try using ISO/Joliet only next time. Or maybe UDF only would be working?

I'm quite convinced that the bug occurs only after renaming a folder. If I had a lot of time (and DVDs to spare), I'd make a series of tests.

But even if you know when it occurs this doesn't mean that you know why it happens...

I hope you find that bug... it is very annoying ;)