Sign in to follow this  
Anastasis

Auto-verify File Data feature

I have just downloaded and installed v3.0.109 and first off have tried out the new option to copy folders and files to a DVD with verification afterwards.

I backed up over 5000 files which amounted to nearly 3Gb of data. The whole thing including the verification stage to a Verbatim 4x DVD+RW in my NEC 2510A took about 25 minutes. All of the files verified as OK.

My question relates to how the files are verified and what is reported if there is a problem. The reason I ask is that I have tried the same exercise using the backup function in Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 (which I bought a copy of) and a trial copy of Nero's BackItUp tool (included with Nero 6) and both reported some files with verification errors. Of the two, Nero performed best (failing on around 6 files) whereas Roxio's tool failed on quite a few more.

That CDBXPP should pass the burn and verify with a 100% score is encouraging, especially considering the other two tools are not free. However, I am a little worried that perhaps the difference on the success rate of the burns is due to the fact CDBXPP is not quite as particular with its verification.

This is of course is only speculation on my part and it could well be that CDBXPP has truly outperformed its commercial rivals, so please forgive my hesitance.

When I reported the problems I had with Roxio's backup tool to their technical support team, the only answer I got from them after several days waiting was, "Try updating the firmware for your drive and also try using different brands of media." The firmware on my NEC 2510A is the latest (v2.16) and in Verbatim I am using what I believe to be a top quality brand of media, so I felt this answer was a bit limp considering Roxio is commercial software purchased to do a job of backing up my data. If I was using cheap media then maybe I should expect failures, but not with Verbatim - should I?

Never mind though - CDBXPP appears to work better. Any thoughts though and feedback on my questions concerning verification in CDBXPP would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for an excellent tool.

Peter

PS. Just a thought about the name of the verification feature. Nothing is mentioned in the accompanying help file about it, but I guessed that "Auto-verify File Data" was the new option in v3. However, perhaps renaming the checkbox label to say something like "Verify data after burn" would be more explanatory?

Are there always the same files which fail burning with Nero/Roxio?

PS. Just a thought about the name of the verification feature. Nothing is mentioned in the accompanying help file about it, but I guessed that "Auto-verify File Data" was the new option in v3. However, perhaps renaming the checkbox label to say something like "Verify data after burn" would be more explanatory?

Hm, yes, won't hurt. I had the same thoughts about that but did not care much about that.

Are there always the same files which fail burning with Nero/Roxio?

Thanks for your reply - yes, the same. I just checked the details I wrote down about the verification errors Roxio had and it was 70. Nero as I said amounted to 6 - which is still 6 too many.

So how certain can I be about CDBXPP's 100% success rate?

Burn the same files with CDBurnerXP Pro and check the files which are burned by Nero incorrectly. If the files burned with CDBXPP are correct, everything is OK :)

Burn the same files with CDBurnerXP Pro and check the files which are burned by Nero incorrectly. If the files burned with CDBXPP are correct, everything is OK :)

Is that because the method of burning and verifying with CDBXPP is the same as Nero? What is the difference with Roxio?

Also, what happens if there is a verification error with CDBXPP - does it say what files have not verified correctly?

Well, if Nero has problems with some files you can check if these files are burned with CDBXPP correctly. If they are, I suggest that CDBXPP works better than Nero.

I did not have any of these verification error,s but I think that I will spend some more time on testing that.

I tested this feature now, and it seems to work correctly. I burned a small file (3KB), together with a few other ones, to disc, and while CDBXPP was closing the track, I modified this file a bit. When CDBXPP validated the files, it notified me with the message I attached to this post.

I tested this feature now, and it seems to work correctly. I burned a small file (3KB), together with a few other ones, to disc, and while CDBXPP was closing the track, I modified this file a bit. When CDBXPP validated the files, it notified me with the message I attached to this post.

Thanks Flo again for your excellent help. Believe me, the level of your support is way ahead of that which I have so far received from Roxio on the verification errors I have had after using their tool in Easy Media Creator 7. Apart from that, the one thing I really like about their package is the included Label Creator tool which makes producing labels and media case inserts a breeze. It's a shame CDBXPP doesn't come with something similar, but I realise that is far from your main priority. By all means, stay focused on what you are good at. :)

At the end of the day, I want to depend on backups of my data and so far CDBXPP is top of the pile for me. :)

Thanks again,

Peter

:?: PS. Any suggestion for an easy and intuitive label creation app?

Hm, you know that you can already create Covers? As far as I know Stefan and Fredrik plan to improve this feature later ;)

Yes, I did thanks. It's really the label creation option I'm looking for the most.

I have the label creation program that comes with PressIt! label packs. IMHO it is possibly the worst peice of software ever created! Very unintuitive and clumsy to use.

I have seen a couple of freeware tools, but I haven't found any very good. The best I have seen is a commercial app called Surething.

By the way, once I can remember my Paypal account details (I think I've only used it once) I intend to make a donation to the ongoing development of CDBXPP. I think you guys are doing a really good job. Keep it up! :)

Peter