Anastasis

Donors
  • Content Count

• Last visited

Never

About Anastasis

• Rank
    Donor
  1. This evening I burned three large (<1GB) AVI files to a DVD-R using CDBXP and during the verification stage it reported that one of the files could not be read from the disc it would have an error. Rather than recycling it as a coaster, I decided to check the "offending" file myself and it ran perfectly. What causes the verify to not work properly? It concerns me that if CDBXP was wrong when an error didn't occur, the reverse could happen in that it could say there is no error with the disc when there is one.
  2. Apologies! I'm making a bit of a hash of this! I have PM'd you with my details.
  3. I followed the Paypal donation link on your home page which according to the receipt I received from Paypal resolved to stha64 @ telia.com.
  4. OK. Which reminds me...... EDIT: Now donated via PayPal
  5. Thanks Flo - I am using 3.0.109. What is the latest version and what do the latest changes include? Is there a list somewhere?
  6. Contrary to an earlier post, I have found you can cancel during the new file verification stage. The problem pressing the button is that if there are several errors one after another it is impossible to have the focus on the cancel button long enough to interrupt the process. However, having successfully pressed the button to cancel and received the usual "are you sure" type message and replied yes, the verification process carries on (i left it for a couple of minutes), although now the cancel button is completely disabled (see attached png image). All that was left for me to do then was kill CDBXPP using Task Manager. Interestingly, when I did this before I finally killed CDBXPP by using the "End Now" option, the CDBXPP Exit dialog came up and I was able to choose to exit cleanly without using "End Now". I'm not sure why this was, but it seems like the message to show the CDBXPP exit dialog had been triggered and was queued but couldn't get through to the user interface due to the verify carrying on.
  7. As I remember, it didn't look like the button was disabled - it was just unresponsive. I don't know what tool you use to develop CDBXPP, and I'm not saying this is the answer as your two development guys will know much more than me, but I use Delphi which provides a wrapper for the Windows application object. There is a method in this object (Application.ProcessMessages) which in Delphi allows the processing of any queued Windows messages such as would occur when the Cancel button was pressed, thereby allowing the verification process to be cancelled.
  8. Following on from Flo's test on the new verification feature in v3 (see here), I have been doing some further testing myself. The first time I tried a small 500mb test to DVD, CDBXPP hung for a time during the Closing Session stage (about 3 minutes whilst the clock count also stopped). I was about to kill it as Windows Task Manager showed it as not responding but then it returned. After that it started the verification stage, but continually came up with warnings saying something like the following: About 50% of the 251 files reported this problem. Any ideas about what would have caused the problem closing the session and subsequent "Could not read Destination file from disc" errors? Having erased the DVD+RW, a second test using the same data burned and closed the session without a problem. When the verification stage started I used a hex editor to change one byte in one file (without changing its size), saving it back with the same date and time. Very encouragingly, when it verified this file, CDBXPP reported the following: I am encouraged by this because it shows that verification is not just performed on simple things such as date, time and size, but also at the more detailed individual byte level. I wasn't sure if this was the case from Flo's earlier test. Apart from this expected error everything else verified without a problem. A few suggestions about how the verification is performed and reported: Firstly, although both of the above tests had verification errors, at the end of the process a message was displayed saying: This seems wrong as the disc was not successfully verified. Secondly, would it be possible for the errors that are reported during verification to be added to a list box located in the same dialog? Currently, each error is shown in a modal message box meaning the user needs to sit and watch the whole verification process to check on errors or else return later to find the process halted as the message box has not been responded to. If there are several errors (as with my first test) it can take a very long time. If the errors were instead reported in a list box, the process could continue unattended. It would also be useful to be able to print a report of any errors at the end. On the same subject, the Cancel button seems to be disabled during the verification stage. If you have already had several errors then it is most likely that you would want to cancel and start again rather than having to go through the whole verification until it is complete. Anyway, just some thoughts of improvements to what is a really good app.
  9. Yes, I did thanks. It's really the label creation option I'm looking for the most. I have the label creation program that comes with PressIt! label packs. IMHO it is possibly the worst peice of software ever created! Very unintuitive and clumsy to use. I have seen a couple of freeware tools, but I haven't found any very good. The best I have seen is a commercial app called Surething. By the way, once I can remember my Paypal account details (I think I've only used it once) I intend to make a donation to the ongoing development of CDBXPP. I think you guys are doing a really good job. Keep it up! Peter
  10. Thanks Flo again for your excellent help. Believe me, the level of your support is way ahead of that which I have so far received from Roxio on the verification errors I have had after using their tool in Easy Media Creator 7. Apart from that, the one thing I really like about their package is the included Label Creator tool which makes producing labels and media case inserts a breeze. It's a shame CDBXPP doesn't come with something similar, but I realise that is far from your main priority. By all means, stay focused on what you are good at. At the end of the day, I want to depend on backups of my data and so far CDBXPP is top of the pile for me. Thanks again, Peter PS. Any suggestion for an easy and intuitive label creation app?
  11. Is that because the method of burning and verifying with CDBXPP is the same as Nero? What is the difference with Roxio? Also, what happens if there is a verification error with CDBXPP - does it say what files have not verified correctly?
  12. Maybe implementing the idea of backing up using checkbox selection as I have suggested would be a good step for now without needing to do incremental backing up and things like that yet. Something like this could form the start of the backup tool as this is the sort of file/folder selection that would normally be used for a backup.
  13. Thanks for your reply - yes, the same. I just checked the details I wrote down about the verification errors Roxio had and it was 70. Nero as I said amounted to 6 - which is still 6 too many. So how certain can I be about CDBXPP's 100% success rate?
  14. I have read in previous posts prior to v3 that the reason a proper backup feature has not been included CDBXPP is due to the burning engine. Have any changes been made to this in v3? I know a full backup tool has been talked about as a future option. How far off is this now? I don't know if this suggestion is dependent on further changes to including a backup tool or could be incorporated now or soon, but I think it would be really useful to be able to select folders by checking and unchecking boxes alongside them in the folder tree similar to that used in Microsoft's backup tool and also in Nero BackItUp. I know you can choose to "Remove" a directory from the folders selected for backup but it would be much clearer to see the full folder structure by default and be able to see what is selected or unselected. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks, Peter
  15. Using v3.0.109 I have backed up a lot of folders from "My Documents" on my XP Home based computer. I notice reviewing the burned DVD that some of the folders labelled "My ..." on my hard drive have been renamed to "Peter's ..." on the DVD. Those renamed are the standard XP folders: "My Documents", "My Pictures" and "My Music" whilst other folders that I have created such as "My Websites" are unchanged". Why is this? I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Thanks, Peter

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.