Sign in to follow this  
Anastasis

Suggestions on verify option

Following on from Flo's test on the new verification feature in v3 (see here), I have been doing some further testing myself.

The first time I tried a small 500mb test to DVD, CDBXPP hung for a time during the Closing Session stage (about 3 minutes whilst the clock count also stopped). I was about to kill it as Windows Task Manager showed it as not responding but then it returned.

After that it started the verification stage, but continually came up with warnings saying something like the following:

Verify Error - Could not read Destination file from disc:

(disc)

(source)

About 50% of the 251 files reported this problem. Any ideas about what would have caused the problem closing the session and subsequent "Could not read Destination file from disc" errors?

Having erased the DVD+RW, a second test using the same data burned and closed the session without a problem. When the verification stage started I used a hex editor to change one byte in one file (without changing its size), saving it back with the same date and time. Very encouragingly, when it verified this file, CDBXPP reported the following:

Verify Error - Source and Destination file did not match:

\Beach\0301010001.JPG (disc)

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\My Documents\My Pictures\Beach\0301010001.JPG (source)

I am encouraged by this because it shows that verification is not just performed on simple things such as date, time and size, but also at the more detailed individual byte level. I wasn't sure if this was the case from Flo's earlier test.

Apart from this expected error everything else verified without a problem.

A few suggestions about how the verification is performed and reported:

Firstly, although both of the above tests had verification errors, at the end of the process a message was displayed saying:

Writing at speed 4.1x - 5520 kB/s, and verifying of the disc is now successfully completed.

Total time for operation (hh:mm:ss): 00:05:04

This seems wrong as the disc was not successfully verified.

Secondly, would it be possible for the errors that are reported during verification to be added to a list box located in the same dialog? Currently, each error is shown in a modal message box meaning the user needs to sit and watch the whole verification process to check on errors or else return later to find the process halted as the message box has not been responded to. If there are several errors (as with my first test) it can take a very long time. If the errors were instead reported in a list box, the process could continue unattended. It would also be useful to be able to print a report of any errors at the end.

On the same subject, the Cancel button seems to be disabled during the verification stage. If you have already had several errors then it is most likely that you would want to cancel and start again rather than having to go through the whole verification until it is complete.

Anyway, just some thoughts of improvements to what is a really good app.

Following on from Flo's test on the new verification feature in v3 (see here), I have been doing some further testing myself.

The first time I tried a small 500mb test to DVD, CDBXPP hung for a time during the Closing Session stage (about 3 minutes whilst the clock count also stopped). I was about to kill it as Windows Task Manager showed it as not responding but then it returned.

After that it started the verification stage, but continually came up with warnings saying something like the following:

About 50% of the 251 files reported this problem. Any ideas about what would have caused the problem closing the session and subsequent "Could not read Destination file from disc" errors?

I am sure, that these errors only occureb, beause there were some problems with finalizing the disc and nothing more.

Having erased the DVD+RW, a second test using the same data burned and closed the session without a problem. When the verification stage started I used a hex editor to change one byte in one file (without changing its size), saving it back with the same date and time. Very encouragingly, when it verified this file, CDBXPP reported the following:

I am encouraged by this because it shows that verification is not just performed on simple things such as date, time and size, but also at the more detailed individual byte level. I wasn't sure if this was the case from Flo's earlier test.

I did two tests. In the first one I removed some data from origial file, in second one I only changed a letter "C" to "A". In both cases it worked as expected.

Apart from this expected error everything else verified without a problem.

A few suggestions about how the verification is performed and reported:

Firstly, although both of the above tests had verification errors, at the end of the process a message was displayed saying:

This seems wrong as the disc was not successfully verified.

Hm, sounds reasonalble. I'll but that one list.

Secondly, would it be possible for the errors that are reported during verification to be added to a list box located in the same dialog? Currently, each error is shown in a modal message box meaning the user needs to sit and watch the whole verification process to check on errors or else return later to find the process halted as the message box has not been responded to. If there are several errors (as with my first test) it can take a very long time. If the errors were instead reported in a list box, the process could continue unattended. It would also be useful to be able to print a report of any errors at the end.

You are totally right, I have the same thoughts on this :)

On the same subject, the Cancel button seems to be disabled during the verification stage. If you have already had several errors then it is most likely that you would want to cancel and start again rather than having to go through the whole verification until it is complete.

Hm, I can't tell you if this one is possible.

Hm, I can't tell you if this one is possible.

As I remember, it didn't look like the button was disabled - it was just unresponsive.

I don't know what tool you use to develop CDBXPP, and I'm not saying this is the answer as your two development guys will know much more than me, but I use Delphi which provides a wrapper for the Windows application object. There is a method in this object (Application.ProcessMessages) which in Delphi allows the processing of any queued Windows messages such as would occur when the Cancel button was pressed, thereby allowing the verification process to be cancelled.