Sign in to follow this  
djg

Compilation file of folders

Hello,

I regularly need to backup a fixed set of folders but the contents of these folders are continuously changing. Therefore, a regular compilation file that lists all files inside a compilation is of little use to me. I'd like to see a way to specify folders rather than individual files for burning (yes, I can do something similar using the command line but a GUI-way would be much more welcome).

Thanks,

Gábor

Yes, I can. But it's not that much fun if you need to do it over and over again, to collect the same folders every time (I'm a software developer, too, and I routinely create backup copies of my important projects). As things are know, I have to navigate among partitions and folders and select them manually each and every time.

As the project file you use is a very simple and straightforward XML, even a simple addition of an attribute, say:

would be very welcome. I could save a .dxp file of my compilation, edit it easily to contain only the folder names, and upon loading it, the program could populate them with the actual contents of those folders. Of course, for the benefit of the average user not capable of hand editing XML files a GUI-based solution would be required but this could be the first step... :-)

Bye,

Gábor

The recent addition of automatically updating the compilation upon loading helps in this case, thanks (although, a small idea, you might allow the user to specify that they want the name of the compilation refreshed as well, if you use, for instance, the current date for your new compilations, this would make sense here, too). However, I found a small bug: if the updating finds missing files, I get an error dialog but the compilation itself will not be marked as changed and the program will not ask whether I want to save it when exiting. If the situation is reverse, new files are found rather than old files missing, the saving question does appear.

Thanks,

Gábor

At this point the compilation has not actually changed or put differently you don't *have* to save it because you haven't done any changes. So it depends on your actual file system what the compilation looks like.