Sign in to follow this  
floele

Release: 4.2.4.1420

Hi,

I've now properly released version 4.2.4.1420 of CDBurnerXP. Sorry for the initial problems it had. There are two notable changes:

First, you can now specify a custom folder for temporary data in the settings. Let me point out, that I strongly discourage anyone from having a system temp folder at a location that cannot be written to our does not have enough space to store the required amount of data (like RAM disk "tweaks"). CDBurnerXP is not the only application which requires a properly configured temp folder.

Secondly, the NMSAccess service for device access from limited user accounts is no longer installed, instead, two group policy settings are modified (allocatecdroms = 1, allocatedasd = 2). So if you install the new version, it attempts to uninstall the service. Preferably you check that this step actually worked (Start->Run->services.msc), because no setup packages will include install/uninstall feature for this service anymore.

I'm not sure I like the new Group Policy settings. I frequently use shared CDROMs on my systems, so I would prefer allocatecdroms=0, although I'm assuming this will break limited user CD Writing. Why can't we have an option in the installer to user either the new GP settings or the classic NMSAccess version for those of us that do not want the side effects of the GP settings?

Could you explain the difference between the service and GPO settings in your case?

Also, as you might have noticed, I intend to eventually get away from NMS, the service is a tiny step in this direction.

Guest Mirko Pontrelli

Please keep NMSAccess service uninstaller for subsequent installers too. You can't know whether a user will update from a version <= 4.2.4.1251 (i.e. service still active) to the next after 4.2.4.1420 (i.e. uninstaller not provided).

Thank you for CDBurnerXP. Regards,

Mirko

Guest mod

Thank you for this excellent freeware. > Mr Flo

I've found that md5 value of cdbxp_setup_4.2.4.1420.exe is inconsistent with that shown on

download page(http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download)--50FD48DE8E12D3F749CCC0F14120430D.

The md5 value I checked by an md5 utility is "7A3E19B0B5C32BB7945AD21E950F498F".

July 8, 2009.

mod

Flo, I have use the newer version with win vista ultima works great, have win7 RC on another drive will check out and let you know of the out come.

Guest widget

Unfortunately, enabling the GPO breaks LightScribe System Software (and probably other burner apps that use their own proxy driver for limited users). This is not a fault of CDBurnerXP but rather a shortcoming of the MS GPO, which really ought to be enhanced to work like it does with removable drives (i.e. allow access for both the interactive user and local system processes).

Regardless of this problem, CDBurnerXP is a great product. Thanks!

Guest Niri

This is such a great program.. it's what I've been looking for a longtime now! Thanks!

You're on my to-donate-to list.. :)

Guest Niri

PS: Forgot to mention I'm on Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 and glad to report no problems!

Could you explain the difference between the service and GPO settings in your case?

Also, as you might have noticed, I intend to eventually get away from NMS, the service is a tiny step in this direction.

I forgot to log back on and check to see if you had any questions about my post and I saw today via RSS that you reversed the change in the latest version. I just wanted to say thanks! The settings that were changed (other than breaking some other systems as I saw earlier in this post) govern much more than just CD Writing, as I'm sure you've noticed, as they change the way that Windows handles removable drives in several different aspects. In my particular case, one of the settings specifically controlled how the DVD-ROM was exposed as shared resource. The way CDBurnerXP changed the setting, it would prevent me from accessing a DVD-ROM remotely as a share. This is something I do very often, because not all of my servers have a DVD-ROM, so I just share my workstation's DVD-ROM.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know about my specific case, in case you were curious, and to let others know, in case they were curious. :-)

Thanks again for a great free software.

Guest pop3

hi i think i gave you the wrong e-mail address for my account with you which is pop3.. igave you my secondary e-mail address..i think you need my primary e-mail address..tried to send a mp3file while off line ..your message said you didin't recconise the e-mail name..my main account is at net zero ,the e-mail name is pianohands..can you please change it ,if that's whats required..?realy need to send the mpe files via e-mail..thanks..m.l.