Sign in to follow this  
MangeGrain

No overburn ? Considering a switch to some other tool

Hello,

I have been using CDBurnerXP as my exclusive burning tool for months now : Easy to use, reliable, effective, freeware.

For once, I needed minimum overburn features, to burn a 702.99 MB data compilation on my 702.83 MB CD-RW disc.

Other topics of this forum show Flo won't allow even a minimal support for overburn, for personal reasons. Yet, the burning library he uses has overburning features. I consider it should be my responsibility, as an end user, to choose, and assume risks (data loss, burner damages)...

And as this software is not open-source, and the license agreement explicitely forbids modifications, there's nothing I can do.

So I am now considering a switch to some other tool.

For personal reasons? I wouldn't say so. Actually, I thought about giving in to the frequent requests for quite a while now but didn't get to implementing it yet. Maybe I can do it for the next release, would be a suitable addition.

many people request it. it too. if you cannot wait buy nero and dont blame flo. it will come if it is ready. after overburn i only need short lead in and out like nero and its perfect :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an option in older releases for overburning?!?

Where is the problem? I just encountered some overburning pains with an ISO and the solution was to use DVD Decrypter (old and not even supported anymore as far as I know, but still does the job!).

I had to burn a PPC image of Ubuntu today and guess what? The ISO image is 705.27MB in size, but all my CD-Rs that I had reported 702.82MB space available only, meaning CD Burner XP refuses to burn the image.

I doubt that overburning 2.45MB (0.35%) can cause any real harm - well, since I'm installing from the CD that I burned with DVD Decrypter a moment ago, I can reconfirm that it's not a problem on that scale of overburning.

Anyways, thanks to the author for a great, free product!

Guest implodeme

Just burned a Ubuntu 10.04 ISO to a CD

716,230KB

Used Disk at Once option during the ISO selection.

Burned to 699MB, App didn't complain about needing extra space

Now to see if the disk works!

:-)