Sign in to follow this  
timnz

Virus in CDBurner XP?

I got the Win32/Virut.NBP virus yesterday, i'm fairly sure it came from CDBurner XP - it started popping up during installation. Someone has to take the exe and msi offline while this is checked out.

It took me a full day to recover from the virus. There's a cleaner available here.

Hmmm... There must be something wrong here. I've been testing all beta and public versions a long time now and I am always scanning for viruses my downloads. [using Avira AntiVir Premium and Spyware Terminator]

Although you are right to post this here, you should consider the possibility that your installer could have been infected by a virus already in your system.

Check the logs of your antivirus to see other instances of the virus found. You could also check whether the virus came from the CDBurnerXP installer, simply by downloading it again.

Guest MartinK

hepaestusp seems not to be the optimal malware-protection

if you need any consulting regardig it sec, feel free to contact me on info@uprocking.de

it's possible that the infection happened on the webserver, not on your desktop

Guest MartinK

sry a part of the text was missing.

wanted to say

it doesnt mean that your presumption is wrong

confusing stuff here

Thanks for your comments!

Indeed I don't consider that I am the most protected user [but I am not using only these programs].

I really hope that there isn't an infection on the download server. But I can say that I am using the latest version [being a "beta tester" I update frequently] and my computer is clean, as the means of detection I have available state.

Case any of you have noticed any kind of virus/malware etc please do post here...

When timnz said he found a virus on the installer, I performed sequential scans on the installer archive [just in case :) ]. Anyhow really thanks MartinK. If you have security tips you could provide as with a guide. People tend to specialize even in their computer skills/knowledge, so if you have some insight it is most welcome.

If you find a virus in any setup package just send it to me (or attach to post) and then I'll check it. However, it is rather likely that you are getting a false-positive.