New Tool for translating CDBurnerXP

Hi everyone!

I'm the Swedish translator of CDBurnerXP. I don't know what tools you guys use to translate CDBurnerXP, but for me, the process of updating, translating and test running the translation involved a lot of redundant work, so I decided to do something to reduce it. The result is a tool that is able to:

• Download updated language file from the web.
  • Automatically detect new, updated and removed strings from the source language file (downloaded file or manually edited/copied file)
  • Supports marking strings as 'New', 'Updated' and 'Translated' and filter the string view by flag.
  • Editor with columns for string ids, source strings and translated strings
  • Find and Replace feature
  • Find tool finds "File" despite it has a keyboard mnemonic inside, like "F&ile"
  • Build and test run feature, one click solution for building the language file, copying it to the right place and then restarting CDBurnerXP.

Are you interested? Then download it right away and test it :) . It's free (as in beer). You may also like to take a look at the screenshots attached below.

Download it here:
ResLocalizer 1.00.1741.1490 Beta (2011-11-13)
Note! Remember to backup files before they are opened by this tool! It's a beta version!

Hope you like it
Cheers, Daniel

post-23137-1330983200151_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, I checked it now, but I am not sure how translation would work. If I specify the EN file as source and the de-DE as file target, no translations are shown in the editor.

Additionally, I believe that it should start up with the last used project automatically. I'll not be a good tester though, because I don't work on any translations.

Thanks for your feedback Flo! :-) I have tried to reproduce your issue, but without success :-( . Please make sure no filter is applied to the project. If you still can't see any translations, I would appreciate if you could post the source and target files so that I can take a look at them.

Autoloading last opened project seems to be a great feature and is added to the latest version, thanks! An option for enabling/disabling this feature will be added later (however it is enabled by default). See link in first post.

Edit: Did you check the "Use existing" radio button in the Create New Project dialogue? If "Create New" is selected a new target file is created despite an existing already exists, which leads to an empty translations column in the editor.

I probably created a "new" project the first time, and then later changed the target file in the project properties. Using "existing" from the beginning seems to work.

I'll do some work to make everything more clear, e.g. replacing source and target file with original and translated file, and to include better descriptions of what the two options in the Create New dialogue mean in practice. Thanks for your help Flo! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New alpha version (1.00.1477.743) released today. Changes:

• [*:he5k1gqz]This version includes an installer (with file associations).
    [*:he5k1gqz]The annoying warning dialogue at startup is removed.
    [*:he5k1gqz]The start screen of ResLocalizer now features a list of the last recently used projects (if no project is auto-loaded).
    [*:he5k1gqz]Redesigned the "Create Project" dialogue.
    [*:he5k1gqz]Slightly redesigned Find dialogue.
    [*:he5k1gqz]+ many bug fixes

Thanks to you who have tried the application! :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Terpie,

Nice tool. I tested the first version, in the beginning, but somehow I didnt like it (didnt understand). But now you have some sort of wizard where you can enter the original and translated files. And now it works (almost) like a charm. :) I could find it in the first version.

Only I have had 1 Exception, and 1 error / warning.

It looks like something is going wrong with fonts. I included the exception details as an attachment. Maybe you are going through all the fonts? Consolas, the font that is coming with Windows Vista / 7 or Microsoft Office 2007 is causing the problem:

"System.ArgumentException: Font 'Consolas' does not support style 'Regular'."

And the second thing is that I get an error when opening a saved project.

It looks for the directory F:\.SysDocumenten\ (watch the dot .). There is only a directory F:\SysDocumenten\ without the dot. There never was a dot, but it looks like it saved it with a dot. I dont know what is causing this problem.

Hi KoalaBear!

Thanks for notifying me! I have now been looking into these issues and have (hopefully) solved them.

Nice tool. I tested the first version, in the beginning, but somehow I didnt like it (didnt understand). But now you have some sort of wizard where you can enter the original and translated files. And now it works (almost) like a charm. :) I could find it in the first version.

Thanks! Glad to hear it! :)

It looks like something is going wrong with fonts. I included the exception details as an attachment. Maybe you are going through all the fonts? Consolas, the font that is coming with Windows Vista / 7 or Microsoft Office 2007 is causing the problem:

"System.ArgumentException: Font 'Consolas' does not support style 'Regular'."

The dialogue you are trying to open when the tool crashes, uses the font Consolas in its regular version. The default behaviour is to use the system default font if Consolas is missing on the user's machine. Somehow the regular variant of Consolas seems to have been corrupted or deleted on your computer, but with the other variants still intact. The new alpha should however not crash, but try to choose another font instead.

And the second thing is that I get an error when opening a saved project.

It looks for the directory F:\.SysDocumenten\ (watch the dot .). There is only a directory F:\SysDocumenten\ without the dot. There never was a dot, but it looks like it saved it with a dot. I dont know what is causing this problem.

After some research I do :) . The cause is that ResLocalizer always saves the path to the language files relative to the project file (if possible). When the project file is located in the root folder, a backslash was simply missing before the dot when deciding the relative path. This is fixed now, but your project file is unfortunately still corrupted, so you need to recreate the project. The flags and build profiles will be lost, but the strings are always up to date in the language files themselves, so you won't loose any text content.

Please tell me if the new version does not resolve your issues.

Regards,

Terpie

New alpha version 1.00.1545.951 available. New in this version:

• [*:1dkythdu]Slightly reorganised interface with new icons
    [*:1dkythdu]Better search function with support for regular expressions
    [*:1dkythdu]A new command available in build profiles: cr
    [*:1dkythdu]Documentation added to the Edit Build Profile dialogue (just press the question mark button)

Edit: Forgot the new update status dialogue which appears after you've updated the source file.

The cr command may be used instead of al.exe and resgen.exe. I have replaced these two tools with cr in my test build profile:

# Replace with your culture

define culture sv-SE

define appPath "C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP"

# Exit applications first

close cdbxpp

# Compile resource file

cr -i "$(targetPath)" -t sa -n "CDBurnerXP_Pro.Strings.$(culture).resources" -c $(culture) -o "$(appPath)\$(culture)\cdbxpp.resources.dll"

# And start CDBurnerXP

start "$(appPath)\cdbxpp.exe"

And as usual: Backup your files before trying the new version! ResLocalizer is still in the alpha stage.

Screenshots from the new version:

[attachment=0]Screenshot-20100127182002.png[/attachment] [attachment=1]Screenshot-20100127181912.png[/attachment]

Hi Terpie,

Thanks. Fast reply also :)

I now also have subscribed to further updates of this topic! So will be notified of new releases. Will try the new Alpha when a new language file will be there.

Maybe now it will get a little easier to update the language file, and stay updated, instead of waiting for months to start the struggle :)

Keep up the good work 8)

• 1 month later...

Important update!

Fixes this bug:

ResLocalizer 1.00.1545.951 failed to detect when a translation was edited in the translation editor => the save dialogue was not displayed when the application exited => the changes were lost if you didn't click the save button before closing the application.

For download link, see the first post in this thread.

Now it should be fixed. :) If you installed version 1.00.1601.955, please uninstall it before installing the new version 1.00.1601.965. Uninstalling older versions is not necessary. If you have found any issues using the tool, please report.

I think it's time to update my own translation as well... For me it's a couple of months since the last update as well :?

• 4 months later...

If adjusted the main information topic to focus your tool instead of manual editors.

BTW, in case your tool does not check it: Empty translations are not allowed! (They mess up my development environment.)

Do you actually use some kind of version control? If necessary, you can get an account on our server.

Hi Flo!

I may have misunderstood your post, but the tool is basically a manual editor, which automatically checks for updated language files.

The tool performs no validation on the translations, which means empty translations were included in the translations if the translator had not translated all strings. I have now modified the tool, so that non-translated strings are left out entirely in the translated language file. Hope that helps! :-)

Yes, I have a Subversion server I use for the tool, but thanks for asking :-)

Hi everybody!

Today I have a new version for you. Major changes:

-New Create Project wizard

-Project templates

-New Options dialogue

Some of the minor changes:

-You can now move up and down the translation list without leaving the translation text box. Just press CTRL + UP/DOWN ARROW

-Build profiles has some new functionality (commands: alert and confirm + reading variable values from Windows registry)

NOTE! If you use the build profile example I provided before, note that the "culture" build variable is now a system variable and cannot be reassigned by a build profile. Please remove the variable declaration in the build profile ("define culture xx-XX") and specify the language in the new Project Properties dialogue instead (Project -> Project properties -> Language). Or create a new project using the CDBurnerXP template :-)

Download the new version here:

ResLocalizer 1.00.1740.1482 beta

IMPORTANT! Don't forget backing up your translation before trying the new beta out!

• 1 year later...

Joey: Click on a string in the list and then enter the translation in the bottom box. While the bottom box has focus you can jump between strings in the list by pressing CTRL+UP and CTRL+DOWN.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.