Sign in to follow this  
Guest szaszhareen

moving files up/down in playlist and sorting options

Guest szaszhareen

i'm trying to figure out how to move files around once i drag and drop them into the compilation field of cdbxp. if i click and try to drag them up or down the list they dont move.

i also wonder what the use would be even if i could, because cdbxp seems to decide what order my files should go on the disc regardless of what order i put them in.

for example, i' made an mp3 cd that contains 4 different sets of songs that all have filenames that make them associate with one another, for example SH4 - 01 - night time.mp3 so they will go in order if sorted alphabetically.

i put silent hill soundtracks one thru 4 in order on the cdbxp compilation list, followed by a drum and bass compilation. when i actually play the mp3 cd, silent hill 2 soundtrack comes first, followed by the first soundtrack, which is broken in the middle by half of the drum and bass compilation, followed by the silent hill 4 soundtrack with a couple of drum and bass songs peppered in, followed by the third soundtrack.

see what i mean? how can i get cdbxp to respect my file sorting when burning a disc? and is there a way to move files up or down once you have dragged them into the burn window?

thx !

Guest taipan (not logged in)

Using the forum search is very much appreciated:

http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7640

http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7224

http://forum.cdburnerxp.se/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5463

Summary:

Reordering by dragging files within the file list

Provided you are writing a data compilation (like in your case because a MP3 CD is a data compilation) it is technically not possible to give files a specific order (regardless of which burning program is used). The order of files being played always and only depends on the player (computer: variable sorting e.g. by using the listview columns in "My Computer"; DVD player: alphabetical order in most cases) - so unless you are willing to rename the files (giving them a numeric prefix for example), they won't be played in the desired order...

But: there are tools which "accept" files (drag'n'drop) und rename them according to the order they were added.

Guest szaszhareen

so you're telling me that the cd player in my car, which is just barely smart enough to play mp3s on a cd, takes all of the files on an mp3 cd (800+ mb), loads them into memory, resorts them, and plays them in the order it wants to play them?

i'm not so sure about that. i'll search the forum for my answers though. thanks :)

Guest taipan (not logged in)

The cd player in your car doesn't "resort" them 'cause they aren't sorted anyway. Usually the files in the root directory are played first (in alphabetical order), followed by the the contents of folders (also in alphabetical order). This should be mentioned in the manual of your car device - take a look ;)

Guest Kevin 120

This is really frustrating, on three posts about reordering data files the delopers seem to be telling people they are wrong. I have a dvd player that plays AVI files, this machine plays them in the order they are on the disc, it does, please do not argue about it. I know nero allows you to reorder the file structure so why cannot this software. A beautiful piece of softwre that does not do what i want it to so gets uninstalled and never used again.

Guest kevin 120

my appologies, i have looked into this and now see that file structure is arbitary to a set of rules and is irrelivent to any avi or mp3 player. However is there not a simple way you can include a facility to put 1-, 2-, 3-, etc in fromt of file names to give them an order as they are dropped into the bottom window as this is obviously what people want?

I'll think about implementing an "auto rename" feature to control the sorting of files on DVD players and the like. Glad that we agree on the "files do not have an order" thing though.

Guest kevin 120

I have to agree that this is the first CD burning software i've ever used that doesn't allow you to "re-order" the files as you would like (and i've used about 10). pretty much sucks. I'm definitely going to look into another one.