Sign in to follow this  
nathan

mp3gain/increases time?

I decided to burn a cd using the mp3gain function just to compare it with soundcheck to see which one is better.

Unfortunately, for some reason, all of my songs have gained 3 seconds and now the cd is too big to burn.

What's the deal with that?

Also, does burn speed affect the quality of the burn?

Lower speeds make CDburning usually more reliable, but shouldn't have a big impact on the quality. Regarding the 3 seconds - maybe you want to have a disc-at-once instead of track at once disc.

I recently burned two different cds, one with mp3 converted songs with mp3 gain and the other with DRM songs using sound check on itunes. The soundcheck didn't make the songs quite as even volumed as I hoped, though I'm thinking perhaps that might have something to do with the fact that I burned at maximum speed(which I'm told can affect the volumes of the songs). But my biggest concern is whether or not the sound quality of the mp3 version is as good as the DRM. I sense that it might not be, however...I'm also willing to accept the possibility that it's all in my head.

My next solution is to reburn the sound check one at a lower speed to see if the volume equalization is a little more accurate. If it is, I'll just use that from now on.

What do you think?

Is MP3 as good as DRM? Well, that's a strange question because both are not really comparable. Does "DRM" mean an M4A/MP4/WMA DRM protected file? Basically, DRM doesn't make a sound quality difference, but if you converted from one file to another with lossy audio formats like MP3, then could have gotten a small quality loss.

I had a compilation of mp3 and DRM songs. I burned them all on one disc. That's when I had sound level problems. So I ripped them all off the CD in Mp3 format, ran them through mp3gain a few times until I decided what level I liked, then put them in itunes to burn. But before I burned them, I discovered that I could 'convert them all to lossless'. I hear that lossless is a better quality sound format. So I did so, THEN burnt them.

So far it seems alright. But like I said...I'm a little paranoid that the quality might not be as good as the original cd, even though the sound volume is much more equalized.

What would you have done to equalize the sound without risking sound quality?

As long as you are dealing with lossless formats, it's all fine. There is not much you can do to get improved quality. Just avoid too many conversions from one kind of format to the other.