Sign in to follow this  
konstanz

strange numerical order

Hello,

I want to burn a large number of .jpeg pictures to DVD, and have given them numerical names to sort them in the order I want them (from 1 - 600). After dragging them into the CDBurner folder, the program sorted them very strangely -

instead of

etc.

it sorted it

is there any way to tell the program what I consider alphabetical order, or do I just have to rename all of my pics? (If yes, how would I rename them, I thought just counting from 1 to 600 would be a quite straightforward way...).

Thanks!

Guest Psyringe
is there any way to tell the program what I consider alphabetical order, or do I just have to rename all of my pics? (If yes, how would I rename them, I thought just counting from 1 to 600 would be a quite straightforward way...).

The program sorts numbers alphabetically (which is actually the standard rather than "strange"). This means it treats numbers the same as any other characters. Therefore, it puts (for example) "12" right between "1" and "2", just as it would put "AB" right between "A" and "B" - note that I just replaced the numbers with corresponding characters.

I don't know CDBurnerXP well enough to tell you whether it has a specific functionality for numerical sorting (which is what you want, you want the names to be sorted numerically instead of alphabetically). But I doubt it. Alphabetical sorting has been the standard for decades, and only in recent years some operating systems provided numerical sorting as an option.

The usual workaround is to pad the smaller numbers with zeros, i.e. use filenames "001", "002", etc. instead of "1", "2". This way the alphabetical sorting will lead to the same result as numerical sorting.

I'm curious though - why is the sorting algorithm important to you? Usually it has very little signifance - the order in which the files are written to the disc doesn't matter at all in 99% of circumstances, and if you want an easy way to copy/paste whole blocks of files, you could just copy them from Windows Explorer (if your Windows supports numerical sorting).