Sign in to follow this  
mroek

Install language selection is disabled. Why?!

Hi,

When installing CDBurnerXP the user is not given any choice as to which language should be installed.

In my case, I am running an English version of Windows, but with regional settings to Norwegian. When I try to install CDBurnerXP, it

chooses Norwegian as my language, and that's not acceptable. I actually hate that, I want everything on my computer to be

in English, except my own documents and such.

As a developer myself, I want to be given a choice. I know that it is possible to switch language from within CDBurnerXP post install, but

then the shortcut links on the start menu remain in the originally installed language (Norwegian in my case).

I've seen that you use Inno setup, and it is exceptionlly easy to allow the user to choose language during install. It is actually the default in Inno setup,

so for some reason you must have changed that on purpose. Why is that? Please let users choose themselves.

So, in short: Please set the ShowLanguageDialog to yes instead of no:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/topic_ ... dialog.htm

regards

-Øyvind

Well, I disagree strongly. I find it intrusive when programmers decide to force choices upon users.

If the language selection box is there, it can be preselected to the current locale, so users that don't want to change the language can just click next/ok/whatever,

but the users that want to change it can do so. That's a win-win situation.

Please think about it. It is quite arrogant when programmers don't let users choose. The Inno setup default is to let users choose, and it is for a good reason.

Regards

-Øyvind

Just in case anyone else is just as annoyed by this as I am:

By installing from the command line it is possible to supply the switch /LANG=English to overcome this problem.

Regards

-Øyvind

Guest Turin

I have to agree here. Being a developer myself, there is nothing more annoying than not being able to choose the language on installation. I am German, using an English Windows and often have to switch my Windows to Japanese, for testing purposes. If you don't understand Japanese very well, it can get really ugly if you try to update your NVidia drivers, Soudblaster drivers or Div-X which are all set to automatically detect system language.

Good to know about the CLP, though.