Sign in to follow this  
Guest JCW

2nd Session Makes All Files/Folders Inaccessible

Guest JCW

Having burned several complete data CDs and DVDs satisfactorily, and having even laid down a first session without finalizing two data CDs (again satisfactorily, by using the "Let me choose advanced settings" option with "Session at Once," Use buffer protection," Eject after burning," and "Verify data after burning," but NOT "Finalize disk," checked), I finally tried to add a second session (again without finalizing) to each of these two open CDs (by accepting the option, "Continue disk"). CDBurnerXP reported successful import of the first session and successful burning and file verification of the second session. "Disk Information" reports the existence of two sessions and correctly indicates the total amount of data (and available remaining space) on the CDs. Even now, if I start CDBurnerXP with either of these CDs in the drive and accept the "Continue disk" option, it reports all of the files/folders from the two previous sessions are there. (The folder structure is one parent folder containing several sub-folders that each contain several files. The second session added more sub-folders to the parent, in case that matters.)

BUT Windows Explorer shows only the parent directory on these CDs, with none of the sub-directories nor any files. ("Properties" does give the correct number of bytes used; but I cannot access, nor even see, any of the files.} What am I missing here?

The only anomaly that I can detect in CDBurnerXP is that the "Volume type" for the first session is reported as "ISO9996 JOLIET UDF" (as it should be), but for the second session it is reported as "ISO9996 JOLIET UDF ISO9996 JOLIET UDF." I don't know if this is just a glitch or if it is significant...

Details:

CDBurnerXP 4.2.4.1351

Windows XP SP3, running as a Limited User (NOT an Administrator)

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-862

Please let me know if additional information would be helpful. -- JCW

Guest JCW

UPDATE -- It seems that this problem might not be fatal, just extremely disturbing: To one of the open (but unreadable in Windows), two-session CD-Rs described above, I just tried adding a third session AND finalizing ("Continue disk," add more folders/files, and "Let me choose advanced settings" with "Session at Once," Use buffer protection, "Finalize disk," Eject after burning," and "Verify data after burning," all checked). This burn operation appeared to go well in CDBurnerXP, AND AFTERWARDS THE ENTIRE CD (ALL FOLDERS AND FILES) IS NOW READABLE IN WINDOWS!

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Why would the disk be readable after the first and third session, but not after the second? (Obviously the data was really there!) Is this a problem with CDBurnerXP or with Windows XP itself? -- JCW

Guest JCW

UPDATE 2 -- Unfortunately, the result described in UPDATE (above) turns out NOT to be perfect: Exhaustive binary comparision (using Beyond Compare 2) indicates that just one of the many files within one of the several subdirectories within one of the two parent directories -- one that was recorded during the first of the three sessions on the CD-R -- is relocated from the original subdirectory into its parent directory on the CD-R. The file itself is identical to the original, and all other files and directory structures are also identical. Again, this is disturbing and, for some applications, fatal.

Since the verify cycle during the first session (in fact, during all of them) reported no errors, it appears that this directory re-organization happend during one of the two import cycles (unless CDBurnerXP's verify is not reliable either).

Does anybody have any ideas how this might have happened and how to prevent it? -- JCW

Hi JCW,

I'm having the same problem. Multisession is not correctly updating the disk so you can see the files. CDburnerXP 4.x

is not working correctly. I believe it has to do with the UDF system. Other folks are having the same issue. I was having

this problem with DVD-R and DVD+R disks using 3.5.x.x.x I used the file checking system (Close last session) in the disk

Info menu. (Close last session) needs to be put back into the program in order to correct this problem for now.I use it for

DVD's when after burning DVD's and the DVD show no files. Close last session fixes this problem !!!

Now the problem has moved into the 4.x.x.x versions!

It's effecting standard CD-R disks too. Flo's going to have to find out what's causing this problem.

I'm, in the mean time, will be going back to the OLD program 3.5 alpha to use CDBurnerXP with framework 1.1so not to

waste any good DVD's or CD's! :)

Guest good 2 know i'm not alone

Hi, i'm experiencing the same multisessions errors, :( and will try the CDBurnerXP 3.5 alpha version as suggested to avoid more DVD+R coasters and see if that works.

i knew something was different about the "newer" versions of CDBurnerXP: no "close last session" option. Lacking the time to get too much into the technical details right now i wonder if restoring this option in the program would even help. A cursory glance of related problems ("missing files" e.g.) in this forum suggests that lots of others are experiencing similar problems. :?

WinXPHome SP3, Administrator

Pioneer DVR-116D with latest firmware

CDBurnerXP 4.2.6.1706

Guest Audio Ed

Same Problem Here with 3 Machines!!!

Looks like a real problem. I have 2 older machines and I am concerned that loading the beta on an older Win 2000 machine might bring bigger problems I will go back to an older version until the FIX has been made.