TheSuperbus8

Prevent clipping from ReplayGain

I have a question regarding the use of ReplayGain within CDBurnerXP: is the program capable of preventing "clipping" of audio waveforms? I know that foobar2000 supports this feature, but I didm't find any mentioning of it in the forum or any description in I do believe that it is super-important, because clipping creates heavily audible distortions.

(Clipping only occurs when a quiet track is amplified, not the other way around)

Clipping is something you can prevent while generating the RG information. In foobar2000 you can select "apply gain and prevent clipping" in Preferences -> Playback -> ReplayGain.

Thanks for the quick reply, but the setting you mentioned is only for fb2k's internal playback, as far as I know, and has little to do with the generation of the RG information.

When I scan a file for its RG values, fb2k generates two tags, the track gain (or album gain) and the track peak: Independent of the option mentioned above (mine is set to "none")! Now, with the option you mentioned, I can either choose to ignore the RG peak information during playback or prevent clipping according to it. BUT the "track gain" value itself was not generated in any way to prevent clipping by itself!

So, my question is whether CDBurnerXP actually looks up that second piece of RG information or not.

Basic conclusion: Clipping cannot be prevented while generating the RG information, but only during playback! (or, in this case, CD burning)

(Sorry if you already knew this and I wasted your time :P )

"The developers" being just me btw usually have very little spare time ;)

I already had a quick look into this but don't see an easy way to implement this at the moment.