Win7 Ultimate x64 wont detect drives ... sort of!!

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Damoclese_*

Guest_Damoclese_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

Got the latest version of CDBurnerXP (4.2.6.1748) installed on a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I am encountering a strange problem.

From the initial menu, if I select burn a data compilation or Copy Disc (Data option) my drives are not detected and it shows "No Compatible Drives".
If I select Audio Disc, Burn Iso Image, Copy Disc (Audio Option) or erase disc, my drives are detected perfectly.

It makes no difference if I run it in admin mode or compatability mode.

The drives I have are:
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N

Any one else having this issue or any ideas on possible solutions?

#2 Guest_Damoclese_*

Guest_Damoclese_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Sorry .... I should just point out that Windows 7 detects the drives fine ... its CDBurnerXP that doesn't!

#3 Guest_bernieserver_*

Guest_bernieserver_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

me and a buddy has the same problem. We are both using AMD 780G Chipsets and Windows 7 x64. It will not recognize the drive, only on Audio - CD burning mode.

#4 Guest_burfadel_*

Guest_burfadel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

Same problem here. Earlier versions work under Windows 7 x64, but not the most recent. 4.2.5.xxxx worked, not sure about at which version in the 4.2.6.xxxx range that it becomes non-working!

#5 Guest_user_*

Guest_user_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:54 AM

I have CDBurnerXP (4.2.6.1748) installed on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. But with another drive: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LS3.

But I have exactly the same situation described nicely above. :-(

#6 Guest_wolfman_*

Guest_wolfman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

I have CDBurnerXP (4.2.6.1748) installed on Windows 7 Professional x64 and have the same problem! As mentioned before, the drives are also not recognized if you run CDBurnerXP in the compatibility-mode or as administrator!
The drives worked fine under Windows Vista Business x64!

Used drives:
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L

#7 Guest_wolfman_*

Guest_wolfman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Fixed the problem on my PC!
After installing the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager as mentioned here - not the one automatically installed with Windows 7 - my two drives are recognized in all burning modes!

#8 DeathAndPain

DeathAndPain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Same problem here. My ancient Sony CD-Burner is recognized, and so is the NEC DVD-ROM drive, but my Pioneer DVD-Burner is not. The key difference between them is that the Pioneer is a SATA drive. CDBurner XP does not seem to work well with SATA drives in Windows 7 x64.

I am on an AMD 770 chipset, so no Intel Storage Manager for me. I could attempt installing the Vista driver for my chipset, but I do not believe in replacing the AMD 770 driver that came with Windows 7 and that is designed for Windows 7 with one that was made for an older version of Windows. Especially not since the drive works nicely in every other respect.

And no, earlier versions of CDBurner XP do not work either. 4.2.5.xxx (i.e. the one that burfadel suggested) is not available in the download archive, so I cannot try that one, but 4.2.1.976 has exactly the same problem as a matter of fact.

The Pioneer burner worked nicely back when I was using Windows XP with AHCI SATA-driver.

#9 Guest_burfadel_*

Guest_burfadel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Installing the AHCI driver, whether it be Intel or AMD, only helps with some drives, not all drives.

I downloaded the older version 4.2.5.1541, and that had the same problem. I was mistaken earlier, I thought it worked but it didn't! The fact remains though, even with the AHCI driver installed etc (its a SATA drive) it does not work in Windows 7 with CDburnerXP. I have resorted to Imgburn instead, but much prefer cdburnerxp.

#10 DeathAndPain

DeathAndPain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

From the homepage it seems that imgburn can only burn complete images, not single files, so it is not really an alternative to CDBurner XP. A real alternative would have been DeepBurner, but guess what - that one has the same problem as CDBurner XP!

I tried Nero 9 Free Edition. Works, but cannot even burn a boot block (and is generally a horrible piece of software).

Does anyone have an idea what alternative I could resort to for the time being? The Win7 onboard burning features are not enough.

Better would be to have the bug fixed, of course. Cannot be that hard, seeing that CDBurner XP does detect the drive properly when it comes to erasing a disc.

#11 floele

floele

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

Just curious, does it work if you replace the existing file in the CDBurnerXP application directory with this one?

#12 Guest_burfadel_*

Guest_burfadel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Imgburn can burn single files, you just select the 'write files/folders to disc' option on the front page. Its a good free standby for cdburnerxp, although I hope the issues with Windows 7 are resolved as cdburnerxp is a better programme.

The workaround methods as described on here seem only to help a few people, I have the latest intel AHCI drivers 9.5.1037 installed, and earlier when on 8.9.1023 it didn't work either.

I have an Asus DRW-2014L1T DVD-RW, Windows 7 x64, Asus P5Q-Pro MB, although I am certain the issue lies with software not hardware incompatibilities.

#13 Guest_al2009_*

Guest_al2009_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

Just curious, does it work if you replace the existing file in the CDBurnerXP application directory with this one?

No, it doesn't work. No changes (but some dialog window at cdburner startup).

The workaround methods as described on here seem only to help a few people, I have the latest intel AHCI drivers 9.5.1037 installed, and earlier when on 8.9.1023 it didn't work either.

I replaced microsoft's SATA drivers by ATI's. Didn't work either.

Win 7 x86 Ultimate. "Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S ATA Device" drive. G780+700(?) chipset.

#14 Guest_Big Z_*

Guest_Big Z_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

Same problem here Win7 Pro 64bit.
SATA TSSTcorp SH-S203B DVDRW drive

intel P35 chipset

#15 Guest_Big Z_*

Guest_Big Z_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Same problem here Win7 Pro 64bit.
SATA TSSTcorp SH-S203B DVDRW drive

intel P35 chipset

EDIT: it seems to see my IDE DVD drive (not burner) but doesn't even list the SATA drive under Device Information. SATA is in AHCI mode and Intel AHCI drivers are installed.

#16 Guest_burfadel_*

Guest_burfadel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:06 AM

Still no luck with 4.2.7.1794

Hopefully the problem can be found soon...

#17 Guest_Alire_*

Guest_Alire_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

Got the same problem with Win7 Ultimate 32 bits : It works fine to burn an audio or ISO CD/DVD, but I'm unable to burn a data CD/DVD (no device found). My device : Matshita BD-MLT UJ230AS.
It seems to be linked to Win 7 ultimate version !

Hope it will be fix soon.
Regards

#18 jasondhsd

jasondhsd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

Had a similar problem I just posted about, I found a work around by switching from AHCI to Native IDE in my bios. Then I was able to see my burning in CDburnXP.

#19 Guest_burfadel_*

Guest_burfadel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

Still no luck with 4.2.7.1801 either!

#20 infernovip

infernovip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

if your drive isnt detect in some windows
7,vista or xp
it was on forum the solution
here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5869&start=30
and here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6951

and here a little moderated this same solutions:

solution 1:
i had simple problem
but now it detect
IF you have burner in ahci mode and the drive is imput to INTEL SATA (in gigabyte matherboard "yellow" )
you have to download from intel site INTEL MATRIX STORAGE MANAGER
http://www.intel.com>work>downloads>chiepset>chiepset software>intelmatrix storage manager
direct link:

http://downloadcente... ... ge Manager

you have to choose you system and architekture (x32 or x64)

now you downloading from
Utilities, Tools and Examples
zip file

unpack

go to
my computer
right mouse click in free space>prophets>device menager>IDE ATA/API controler
> NOW you have to find here something like this standard AHCI version 1.0 controller or something other what have in name AHCI >
>right click on it> chose update driver>browse my computer>let me pick>Have disk> FIND unzipped intel matrix storage and choose from there "iaAHCI" > ok > next and after installing restart computer
after restart system will detect all dives again and will install it and after that you have to restart system again

the end:]

solution 2:
http://downloadcente... ... ge Manager

you have to choose you system and architekture (x32 or x64)

now you downloading from
Drivers
Intel® Matrix Storage Manager EXE file
after installing restart computer
after restart system will detect all dives again and will install it and after that you have to restart system again
the end

YOU CAN ALSO DOWNLOAD FROM INTEL.COM THE NEW INTEL CHIEPSET DRIVER EXE and install FIIRST on the system
before instaing storage menager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users