Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Damoclese

Win7 Ultimate x64 wont detect drives ... sort of!!

120 posts in this topic

So audio burning works for you?

I have never actually used CDBurner XP for audio burning, but I have selected it now, and yes, my SATA burner shows up in the list of available burners when I pick the audio CD option, while it is missing in the list of available recording devices when I pick the data CD option.

What about the following approach: The apparent problem that users like me are encountering is that they cannot even select their burner in the data CD-section, because it is not displayed in the dropdown. Chances are your Numedia stuff would actually succeed with burning to the SATA burner if it was chosen. So what about the following workaround - and be it only for testing purposes: You use the algorithm from the audio CD section to discover the available recording devices so that they are displayed in the dropdown and selectable by the user. You then use the standard Numedia algorithm to actually burn to the selected device. Chances are this will fail because for some reason the Numedia code cannot communicate with the burner, but then again there is also a chance that it will work. The only problem is that this way you may not be able to properly discover the actual capabilities of the recording device (media types, multisession capabilities etc.). Nonetheless this might be an interesting way to start investigating the problem with. You could offer this as sort of beta/workaround/hotpatch version of CDBurner XP and not declare it a stable release, but it would allow people like me to use the program for the time being. It might mean that the user has to make all choices himself (like burning speeds and other features) without the program being able to verify whether his device is actually capable of the selected features, but it would be a start.

Or you include this approach into the regular release by adding a "Always use audio CD code to discover drives"-option in the settings for advanced users, optimally with an accompanying help text that briefly explains the problem to the user.

Just my five cents.

Basically, I have two options here: Switch from Numedia to StarBurn (months of work) or upgrade the Numedia component (I'm not sure whether it will help in all scenarios, but I am currently looking into this option).

What does Numedia say about the issue? My personal impression is that they are not a very professional company, seeing that even their very basic company homepage is inaccessible to visitors (going to http://www.numediasoft.com will require the user to log in with a password and otherwise fail). http://www.numediasoft.com/Default.aspx does work, but http://www.numediasoft.com should automatically redirect there.

Still they need to have a stance on this.

Nice try, but your suggestion will not work unfortunately. Numediasoft and StarBurn components cannot "make use" of each other.

Regarding the professionalism of Numediasoft: I'd rather not comment on that. But that's a comment as well actually ;)

I'm currently in touch with a guy from componentsource.com, they seem to very supportive on that matter.

Guess I should have prefaced that with a 'Flo,' as none of us regular users would know if it's been worked on behind the scenes much since earlier this month.

Hi there!

Thanks for your great piece of advice. The driver-solution also worked for my GIGABYTE ep45-ds3l, Win7/64. Now XP-Burner recognizes my PIONEER DVR-216!

Bye!

A friend has the same problem win7 x64 (Acer Laptop) he using cdbxp_setup_4.2.7.1893.exe drive not detected.

Using cdbxp_setup_4.2.7.1893.msi and it works cdbxp found drive only with the MSI installer :?

A friend has the same problem win7 x64 (Acer Laptop) he using cdbxp_setup_4.2.7.1893.exe drive not detected.

Using cdbxp_setup_4.2.7.1893.msi and it works cdbxp found drive only with the MSI installer :?

where can I find *.msi?

Thanks

Under Downloads:

Download latest version (4.2.7.1893)

Size: 4.35 MiB (MD5: 572CF2B2FC4F9F06EEBB3B89B56A0694)

Additional links: Old versions | MSI | EULA

The MSI does not change anything for me, which does not really come as a surprise, seeing that it is only the installer that has been changed.

However, the MSI offers less custom install options than the regular EXE, meaning that more components are installed without you having a chance to de-select them. For instance, this goes for the service that enables non-administrator users to burn.

I believe that your friend de-selected this during the setup dialogue and was then unable to burn. The MSI installed it without giving him a chance to prevent it, so it works. This is a classical example of self-bs. Running the regular setup without tampering with the default install options would have worked just the same.

Nope. Still doesn't detect my burner when burning a data disc. Audio burning is fine.

- Windows 7 x64

- AHCI

- AMD 770/SB710

- Samsung S203B SATA DVD burner

I guess that AHCI is the problem in this case. Or the missing Storage Manager. In any case, there is nothing I can do, as long as NumediaSoft doesn't care about fixing this issue.

Dear all

I have seen today, that Intel released a new set of drivers to replace the Matrix Storage Technology driver package. It is now called Rapid Storage Technology. These drivers finally support TRIM on SSD under Windows 7 and will also made our optical drives visible in CDBurnerXP. This will at least solve the issue for all Intel Chipset owners.

I guess that AHCI is the problem in this case. Or the missing Storage Manager. In any case, there is nothing I can do, as long as NumediaSoft doesn't care about fixing this issue.

They should fix this immediately. Because their SDK (and all apps using it) doesn't work for a major number of (AHCI) users.

I can add my specs, too:

Windows 7 x64

ASUS M4A78 PRO board using AMD 780G/SB700

ASUS DRW-2014L1T using SATA with AHCI

Would be nice if you as a developer of their SDK could perhaps "push" them a little bit 8)

Just installed new Intel drivers and it solved my problem: glad to see XPburner back on my computer.

Windows 7 64 bits

Gigabyte P55A-UD4 - I7 860

DVD Pioneer DVR-215D

Find driver for windows 7 : Intel.Matrix.Storage.Manager and driver chipset . Hope it work :)

The same to me on windows 7 32bit

Problem still is not fixed.

Flo, I do not believe that this is AHCI-related. I tried setting my system to ATA before, and my burner still was not detected by CDBurner XP. I have not tried it with the latest version, but I hardly believe that the old version never detects it and the new one only does not detect it with AHCI. I rather believe that the very same bug is still unfixed, seeing that the symptoms are unchanged.

If Numediasoft is not willing to fix the problem and you (the developers) do not want to abandon the project, you should ditch the Numediasoft component and go for something else (Starburn all the way?), even if that means a major overhaul. The alternative is remaining in a dead end. And you know perfectly well that both Windows 7 and 64 bit are the future. And AMD does hold a considerable market share after all, so fixing it for Intel users alone is not the solution.

Problem still is not fixed.

If Numediasoft is not willing to fix the problem...

Of course I don't know but can't imagine that they're "not willing" to fix this. Actually they do sell this burning sdk.

If it's a bug in there then the whole sdk is useless for a growing number of "end-users" and IMHO useless for the licensees of the sdk as well.

Who wants to pay for a sdk when the apps created with it don't work with "new" operating systems or other common system configurations?

Just my 2c 8)

I hate to break it to you, but your 2c appear to be a rather invaluable currency... we discussed the Numedia matter in this thread before (Lesen bildet...), and Flo said clearly that he had contacted them about it and encountered no willingness to do anything on the matter.

I also pointed out the unprofessional appearance of that company before, seeing that accessing their official home page requires you to key in a password in order to see anything, while a subpage of it is freely accessible and displays what the main page should. Numedia appears to be crap, and it is the curse of CDburner XP to rely on their software as the key burning engine, an engine that did good work in the past but that most obviously is no longer properly updated. Which is why I stated above that this is a critical stage for the future of the whole CDBurner XP project: If there is to be any future for it, the developers will probably have to bet on a new horse and replace the engine, no matter how much work that may mean.

You're right (Lesen bildet :lol: ) sorry I didn't read the whole thread before posting.

But thanks for explaining the numedia issue again for everyone who only reads the last few posts :D

I hope the devs can figure out another SDK which is free, up-to-date and usable with windows

Hi Flo!

First, thank you for the work on CDBXP, a really nice tool - used it for years now.

I recently bought a new OS and switched to Windows 7 yesterday. All my drives are SATA / AHCI, and i have the same problem here: "No compatible drives found".

However, I found a workaround for the time being, it's not a real fix but it works, so here's the howto:

If you want to CD/DVD with data on it:

- Use CDBurnerXP as always, add the files etc.

- When finished, select "Save as .iso" in the file menu (top left)

- Save the iso (takes some time)

- Select "Close" in the file menu (left top). The wizard again shows up.

- Now, select "Burn a .iso file" in the wizard.

- As some sort of miracle, you should see your AHCI DVD drive(s) now.

- Select the .iso file you just created here.

- Press "Burn".

- Done.

Of course, this takes some time as you have to create the .iso file on your HD first. A double-layer DVD with ~8 GB data takes about 3 min. on my box and I have a *very* fast HD here (130MB/s). So get a coffee in the meantime. ;)

Hope this helps out.