Sign in to follow this  
Guest Damoclese

Win7 Ultimate x64 wont detect drives ... sort of!!

Yep, I know about these differences. Following the troubleshooting guide should solve your drive detection problem though.

Aw, c'mon, Flo. We discussed this in detail already, so do not just jump back several pages of this thread and pretend the rest had not been said. Updating the drivers only works for Intel chipsets. The AMD drivers are nice and all, but will not change a thing. There just is no solution for AMD users, and I have yet to see a definite statement from the developers that they are willing to do anything about it (other than blaming it on the external library and stating that they are helpless).

As I see this, you have three possible paths to follow from here:

a) Ditch Numedia and base the data burning portion of CDBurner XP on a different library, even though this may mean a lot of revamping, i.e. work

B) Rename CDBurner XP to CDBurner Intel

c) Continue as before and pretend that the problem (which affects a significant 2-digit-percentage of machines out there and is increasing as users move on to Windows 7) does not exist.

So far, you have followed path c. I must admit that I am disappointed.

As for the workaround of that guest user, yes that will work, but this means such a huge loss of comfort that it is better to go for Starburn instead, even though CDBurner XP is better - when it works.

I'm following path c) as long as I do not have the time to work on path a) if you will.

Actually, my current goal is to somehow get Numdia to fix the issue. I cannot switch the libraries right now - not only because of the amount of time required, but also because the replacement burning library does not yet expose some features I need.

Actually, my current goal is to somehow get Numdia to fix the issue.

Is there any chance for you to succeed, seeing how they have behaved in the past? Do you have any form of feedback from them that indicates they might do something about it?

I cannot switch the libraries right now - not only because of the amount of time required, but also because the replacement burning library does not yet expose some features I need.

Are there no alternative libraries? How do the manufacturers of other burning software (Nero, Starburn, etc.) handle this? What about the .NET Framework? Does it not offer something suitable? The .NET framework 4.0 has just been released, does it not include recording functionalities?

StarBurn is fine and basically has all features, just that not all of them are exposed for .NET yet.

I can't predict what NMS will do, I'm not really optimistic, but we'll see.

Guest Rowno

This workaround worked for me. Annoying but better than nothing I guess.

Hi Flo!

First, thank you for the work on CDBXP, a really nice tool - used it for years now.

I recently bought a new OS and switched to Windows 7 yesterday. All my drives are SATA / AHCI, and i have the same problem here: "No compatible drives found".

However, I found a workaround for the time being, it's not a real fix but it works, so here's the howto:

If you want to CD/DVD with data on it:

- Use CDBurnerXP as always, add the files etc.

- When finished, select "Save as .iso" in the file menu (top left)

- Save the iso (takes some time)

- Select "Close" in the file menu (left top). The wizard again shows up.

- Now, select "Burn a .iso file" in the wizard.

- As some sort of miracle, you should see your AHCI DVD drive(s) now.

- Select the .iso file you just created here.

- Press "Burn".

- Done.

Of course, this takes some time as you have to create the .iso file on your HD first. A double-layer DVD with ~8 GB data takes about 3 min. on my box and I have a *very* fast HD here (130MB/s). So get a coffee in the meantime. ;)

Hope this helps out.

Guest zio

@Eraque:Well done!

It works for me too : config : HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA10N and windows 7 x64 pro

Guest Distant

I am seeing the same issue with Windows 7 32bit Enterprise. The "No compatible drives" message appears under device information for all type of burning and in the middle of the menu for data compilation. When I select audio compilation, the correct drive is available, but not in drive information. Despite that, I can eject the drive and (before that) I can display media information. Clearly the drive is recognised, but it looks like part of the code is getting confused. I will use the idea of creating an ISO then burning it separately, as burning ISO definitely works. The machine is an HP 6730b laptop and the drive shows as a "hp DVD RW AD-7586H".

Same here, no compatible drive.

I'm also using Win7 x64 on an AMD-based machine. Actually as far as I can remember CDBurnerXP used to work on AMD machines

with a nVidia chipset & SATA controller (in AHCI mode). On machines with a AMD chipset clearly not...

Can't believe this hasn't been fixed. As someone wrote here, when you burn just an ISO image the drives do show up...

EDIT:

I checked the bug list and appearently you use Star Burn for ISOs (that works) and NMS for burning data discs. However, the issue that some users (mostly AMD based) can't burn data discs is NOT listed on the bug list. So, you are ignoring this issue ?

I'm not sure why you are sticking to Numedia Soft. Star Burn's SDK seems to support all APIs you need.

I'm not sure why you are sticking to Numedia Soft. Star Burn's SDK seems to support all APIs you need.

You can say that by running CDBurnerXP how often exactly? If I say that it doesn't, believe me. I got the source ;)

It seems that you are on the edge of developing a great app. But, until you can get this compatibility problem sorted it does restrict the usefulness of the app and, more importantly, the trust that can be placed in it. Numediasoft do not seem to have updated their libraries since last year and I really don't think they care about you or your users very much. I'm sorry that all your efforts have come to this, but it seems to me that your only longterm option is to integrate the Starburn library, whatever it takes.

Adam

PS, I have had no problems. Laptop with ICH9 and intel AHCI driver.

But seeing that you release version after version fixing other minor stuff while your software is not working on like 50% of all computers (all those with AMD chipset to be more precise), it does not seem as if you had even started this key task at all.

In order to show honesty, the least thing you ought to do is rename the project from "CDBurner XP" (which sounds pretty obsolete anyway) to "CDBurner Intel".

Well, I did in fact start, and to no surprise it turned out to be horribly demotivating. Fixing minor stuff is more enjoyable. Or even working on other projects. Yes, annoying tasks will take longer to complete, I won't deny that.

Please explain exactly why it is demotivating. I can see it being demotivating to run after Numediasoft kissing their asses and achieving nothing. But revamping the core code and moving it onto a new and modern basis should be a rewarding process, shouldn't it? I can see that it means some work, but then again, you basically need to implement simple standard CD/DVD burning procedures. Once you have found proper libraries to do that (Starburn? .NET 4.0?), simply calling them passing the right parameters should not be that hard a task, should it? You can leave the parts that are already based on Starburn code (ISO burning) as they are; these are working after all.

What I would find demotivating/unrewarding is fixing minor stuff in a program that I know is no longer working on 50% of all modern computers. It is like repairing a car that is too old and worn out so that no repairs really work anymore, and no matter what you do it will never work properly again, so instead of wasting your time on repairs, the only appropiate move would be to buy a new one.

The problem is that half of the changes I make is just commenting code, because StarBurn lacks the corresponding features (see my previous explanations). So if you will, I'll get a working car but it's missing the seats. Not fun. Not rewarding.

And either way, it's not fun to fix compiler errors for hours. You seem to underestimate the work required to "replace function calls". It's more than that.

Being a programmer myself I understand what you mean. Nonetheless: if there is to be a future for CDBurner XP, you will need to take action. Up to now Windows 7 has been very new, so many users still used XP or Vista, and others used Intel. But unlike Vista people are embracing Windows 7, so it is pretty safe to assume that every new PC will come with it. This means that every new AMD-based machine is one that will not work with CDBurner XP. While the problem may have seemed to be limited in the past, its severity will rapidly grow from month to month now.

Just yesterday a colleague showed me her new notebook and asked me to show her an easy way to burn CDs. I installed CDBurner XP - phail. I uninstalled it and installed the original Starburn - worxed. Interface-wise I prefer CDBurner, but that matters little when it does not work.

Guest Ted Egan

I just bought a new PC (HP Pavilion with an AMD Phenom) after a storm took out my old one. I used to use CDBurner XP all the time and loved it. It was so easy. Now, the latest version of the software does not recognize my DVD burner. I have the same diagnosis as described above for the last year. The software will not permit burning of discs in data mode, as it does not see the drive. Oddly, it sees the drive when you pick just about any other mode. I have tried or attempted trying every solution mentioned here, and none work.

I'd love to go on using the software. Now, I have to use Win 7's native disc burning utility, or the disc burner that comes with Media Player, which works, but I ain't happy.

Use Starburn. It is also a free (albeit propietary) burning software with capabilities similar to CDBurner XP. I prefer the latter for handling reasons, but that does not help when it does not work.

Guest Disgruntled

I can't believe you picked C...

You're actually admitting to pretending that this problem doesn't exist?

What a jerk!

As I see this, you have three possible paths to follow from here:

a) Ditch Numedia and base the data burning portion of CDBurner XP on a different library

B) Rename CDBurner XP to CDBurner Intel

c) Continue as before and pretend that the problem does not exist.

So far, you have followed path c. I must admit that I am disappointed..

I'm following path c) as long as I do not have the time to work on path a) if you will.

Unbelievable... :shock:

Guest knacki99

Hi,

new Win 7 x64 installation with SSD system drive and AHCI mode (using MS ahci driver). My new LG CH10LS20 BD-ROM/DVD Writer Combo is not recognized and there is no way to make it work. Administrator rights do not change a thing. Is there a plan to fix this sometime in the future? I do not want to mess around with Intel Storage drivers, btw.

Hey folks. I am just finishing setting up my new rig :D ( HP DV7-4270us) and am encountering the same/similar symptoms. After having read the last years worth of posts concerning this topic. I just had to register and weigh in. I have been an avid user of CDBXP for several years. So much so that I not only recommend it to everybody/anybody. But I am also in the habit of installing it on every computer I set up/modify /repair. Why, you may ask? Because it is a very user friendly app. The average user can easily master its GUI. And the savvy user can enjoy more complete control of their burns. Win-Win.

But I must say that I am thoroughly disgusted with this turn of events. Maybe it's just the Jarhead in me. But... If a thing is worth doing. It is worth doing it well. Let's face it. Windows 7 is not going to go away. I have used CDBXP successfully with W7 x86 ultimate on a Toshiba P207D-S782 (no Blu-Ray just DVD) . I am now running W7 x64 on a unit that will accept a second drive in a RAID configuration (which is why I opted for the DV7) with an AMD quad core. I myself am NOT a big Intel fan. But it seems that a few people have had better luck than we AMD fans have. Be that as it may. My point is this. It seems as if there is more research being done by the frustrated (soon to be former) users of CDBXP than is being done by the developers of CDBXP. Such a shame. Thank goodness it isn't payware. Then again. I seriously doubt if it will ever get to be payware when it takes OVER a year and there is still no apparent progress. Personally I would be more than willing to pay a reasonable price for it if necessary. All things considered. My time is worth money. The time I have spent screwing around trying to find a solution to my problem has cost me more than enough. That money would have been better spent paying for a working version.

As far as I understand CDBurnerXP is a private project and was never supposed to be payware, although donations are accepted. Nonetheless it sure is a shame that the project is no longer supported / left to rot for 50% of all new PCs. (Yeah, 50% may not be entirely accurate, but you get my point.)