Sign in to follow this  
Guest Damoclese

Win7 Ultimate x64 wont detect drives ... sort of!!

Hi,

I'm using Win7 Ultimate 64 too and have the same problems with CDXP v.4.3.8.2474_x64.

Quaintly is that CDXP found my recorder if I want to delete a CD/DVD but not if I want to burn something.

CDXP was my favorite burnprogram but until it is fix I will change.

Rallebiker

PS: With version 4.3.7.xxxxx I hadn't this problem

Perhaps if enough of us got together and did a proper gathering of information we would be able to lighten your load Flo. I have a few rigs laying around doing nothing. A couple even have Intel processors. :o My move to this platform is such a large departure as to make things bothersome for troubleshooting purposes. I propose to take a couple of old machines (1 Intel and 1 AMD) that are already running Win7 x86 and upgrade the drives. Since I already know that CDBXP will work on them in 32 bit. If the new drives don't present a problem then I will revert back to the old drives and do a bare metal install of Win7 x64. See what happens then. Then I will upgrade the drives to newer drives and record the results of that. That should help to narrow things down a bit.

Actually, I just had a light-bulb moment. Has anybody attempted to try an external USB combo drive and see if that is detected properly ?

In fact you have a dark-bulb-moment as you are wasting your time on chasing an error that has long been discovered in detail.

It has nothing to do with the drive you are using, so there is no need for you to try them out. Of course, chances are an external USB drive might work, but that is no real solution for those that want to use the burner that they have in their computer.

The rule is simple:

• [*:wmz3f9f9] Intel chipset with current Intel driver → worx
    [*:wmz3f9f9] AMD chipset for AM3 mainboard (possibly also AM2): → phail

No need for you to find out the long-known. You also cannot help Flo with that because is is not and has never been programming access to the burner himself. Instead, he is using the libraries of his programming language which originate from a poor manufacturer. It is these that fail, not Flo's code, so he cannot fix it and the manufacturer of the library cba to fix it. Flo would have to rewrite the code for a different set of libraries, but is too lazy to do it.

Just make sure to read this entire thread so you know what we are talking about.

Yeah. It dawned on me two minutes after I logged off. I have only read the complete thread once. And in a hurry at that. I'm not sure about AMD S-2 I know there were no issues with socket S-1. All I can say is that it sucks horribly to be thrown one stumbling block after another For preferring AMD processors. Particularly if you run x64 OS. I can't tell you how many times I have seen "This processor is not supported" . Efffff me running !!! Well Good luck to all.

I'm not sure about AMD S-2 I know there were no issues with socket S-1.

Only that sockets AMD S-2 and S-1 do not exist...

All I can say is that it sucks horribly to be thrown one stumbling block after another For preferring AMD processors. Particularly if you run x64 OS. I can't tell you how many times I have seen "This processor is not supported" .

Hmmm... I have never encountered such a message. Either you were already using AMD x64 processors in 64 bit mode when these were not common yet (as in Windows XP x64), or you must be running very weird software.

Even in the case of CDBurnerXP it is not the processor but the chipset that is not supported. Nvidia has stopped making chipsets for AMD CPUs, but if you use an older mainboard for AMD CPUs with nvidia chipset then CDBurnerXP will recognize the drives nicely.

The rule is simple:

• [*:21o88q56] Intel chipset with current Intel driver → worx
    [*:21o88q56] AMD chipset for AM3 mainboard (possibly also AM2): → phail

The problem described here is not only of CDBurnerXP. Many other CD burning utilities show the very same bug as well.

Having an AMD3 computer, I tried hard to solve it.

There are two solutions:

1. If your mb let you do that, setting the CD sata port as IDE is a valid solution. The CD is recognized in any CDBurnerXP modules.

2. Set the AMD SATA ports as RAID. Even if you don't have any "real" RAID configured, the disks attached to it will be seen as "spare ones" (JBOD single disks) and the CD will work in CDBurnerXP.

The solution 2 is the best. Be sure to load the appropriate drivers before switching to RAID mode or you will have BSODs.

Guest oz42

I have a similar problem. The DVDR drive is detected correctly, but burning DVDs fails when I use the msahci drivers. So I have two options:

- using NVidias Nforce drivers with no TRIM support: can burn without problems

- using MS's msahci.sys: TRIM support, burning DVDs impossible.

One error is: erasing a RW disc quickly starts to work, after a couple of seconds the drive stops spinning, CDBXP is still displaying the erasing window.

Olaf

Sorry for resurrecting a somewhat old thread but I found this thread after having the above discussed problem (in Win7 Pro x64)... however, I think I've found me a temporary solution.

I'm using the default MS AHCI drivers as I've got an SSD and want to maintain TRIM support - it's an Intel (P45) chipset and I'm not entirely sure if the latest Intel drivers pass TRIM commands hence the MS driver. Anyway, I digress.

In "data disc", there are no compatible drives shown... but all is well in "audio disc" and "burn ISO image" - so I created a disc in "data disc" but saved it as an ISO. I then burnt the ISO with "burn ISO image" and it works a treat.

Bit of a faff but it works for me.

Sorry for resurrecting a somewhat old thread

Old or not, but unfortunately the thread is still perfectly current. :( The developers keep fine-tuning minor features in a program that does not even basically work on half of all modern computers.

Entirely depends on StarBurn. Their most recent statement is

We're done with SDK and finalizing StarBurnX wrapper. Then we'll have a release.
though I don't know for sure if that includes everything I need for v4.5. So hopefully we'll have it in Q1.

Guest FrustratedOne

This Error is now available since years.

What a pity - the tool is wonderfull but not usefull for me.

One two computer the program don't work any more with the described bug.

I hope you can fix it sometimes.

Go on working with other tools but also checking for updates at this side...

The authors do have interest, but the third party components are not very quick with fixing bugs, so it will take a while.