Windows 7 , AMD and AHCI step by step solution

1. Download Raid driver from ATI here.

2. Run what you have downloaded

3. Quit installation after unpacking

4. Go to unpacked software

5. Open C:\ATI\Support\9-9_vista32-64_raid\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\RAID\LH (Repleace corresponding folders SB7xx if you have diffrent chipset an LH if you have 64 bit system)

6. Copy whole path to clipboard

7. Run Device Manager and select IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers\Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

8. Right click and select Update Driver

9. Choose Browse Computer and then Let Me Choose From The List (or something)

10. Click Have Disk button

11. Paste path from clipboard

12. Select AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

13. Next and follow on screen instructions then restart the machine

14. Voilà !

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'm DESPERATE to get my DVD drive working again. After changing from IDE to AHCI the problems began.

Although my problem is not with CDBURNERXP but with EAC not detecting/unable to burn, I'm sure the same solution applies.

I know this is a very, VERY old thread but I was wondering if you (or anybody else for that matter) could give me a hand.

I'm already using the latest AMD AHCI drivers, but I can't for the life of me install the RAID AHCI drivers (I'm guessing because I don't have a RAID array) I was under the impression, by the way you explained your solution that this would work with ANY AHCI setup. Was I wrong in thinking that? If not, how can I install this? It doesn't work when I try through device manager (a popup says it is not a compatible driver etc)

Thanks in advance.

Sure you are having an AMD chipset btw? Changing von IDE to AHCI is not recommended if you don't have a good reason for it. Other than drivers, it's hard to tell what else could be the issue. Guess you need to Google a bit...

Sure you are having an AMD chipset btw? Changing von IDE to AHCI is not recommended if you don't have a good reason for it. Other than drivers, it's hard to tell what else could be the issue. Guess you need to Google a bit...

Yes. I'm sure. It's an AMD SB790GX chipset.

There's no "good reason" other than supposedly AHCI is the standard controller for SATA interfaces (specially SSD).

I kinda solved this by myself though. I installed the RAID driver (which is obviously AHCI compatible) by forcing it to recognize my storage controller. By adding one line with my device's Hardware IDs.

Everythings working fine now apparently (apart from S.M.A.R.T data not displaying) but I guess that's "normal" whenever you use a RAID controller.