New compilation window with description text [done]

Tip: Helpfile ;)

I guess coming from Nero to CDBurnerXP Pro I miss the Nero Express startup screen where you get some nice brief descriptions about what each option does before getting into the application.

I guess from a new persons point of view and from an experienced persons point of view there are some options that you use very rarely but you want a brief reminder about before wading through the help files.

Nero Express is a good reference to see what I mean.

It allows the user to quickly see what each major feature does quickly and once a decision is made continue on with the task without getting distracted.

Well, I can't guarantee you that we do as you can see on screenshot...as far as I know Fredrik wants to use mouseover-tips (or something like that).

Gents,

Don't fill the screen with text. A picture says 1000 times more than text can do.

A lengthy text is only useful the first time, afterwoods you know what to use.

A small "mouse-over" explanation is more than sufficient. (or something simular).

KISS please ==> Translations, Error in text, New functionalities not explained, etc ......

Jans

perhaps having the option to show the text would be better. as that is a starting point for the program those three choices, i think a mouse over wouldn't be right there. the text description is better (with the option to tell it not to show again e.g. just icons like now).

Guest Looch

Most programs today use whats called a tooltip (some people here are calling it mouse-overs which is fine too). That is great for the quick "few words" description. Plus they don't appear until hovering over an item for at least 3 seconds (thus not annoying the experienced user, yet still helpful when needed).

Also many programs will give a more detailed sentence in the "status" area (small horizontal bar at the bottom of a program) when you hover over the same buttons (its discreate/subtle and doesn't annoy the experienced user because your eye is not drawn to it.

-Looch

Also many programs will give a more detailed sentence in the "status" area (small horizontal bar at the bottom of a program) when you hover over the same buttons (its discreate/subtle and doesn't annoy the experienced user because your eye is not drawn to it.

Ah, yes. That's a thing we should think about. When you use tooltips, you never know if they are there or not and unexpericenced user might not even try/be able to find them.

Ah, yes. That's a thing we should think about. When you use tooltips, you never know if they are there or not and unexpericenced user might not even try/be able to find them.

Thats kinda what i was trying to get at... didn't quite get there tho! :roll: However i still prefer the kinda of thing you (flo) created in a screenshot, its hardly clutter is it, more exprienced users would simply ignore it. I mean you've still got the big buttons.

Screenshot from Flo was heaps better. Now this second screenshot doesn't look anything like each option is a button.

What is so great with buttons? It works like a button although it doesnt look like one...

lol

A button I can click. There is no thought involved, it is a natural inclination to click a button if I think it is what I need to do to accomplish the task I have in mind. If it isn't a button I don't know it is clickable therefore I am left guessing as to what purpose the screen has, apart from the text and an icon beside it.

Options need to be made obvious and not just to new users. Why change the button metaphor and confuse the user. This is a problem much of computing software suffers from. Built by developers for developers with no idea what the average user needs from the application.

Don't think I am attacking you on this issue. I am actually speaking from a developers perspective and I still make these mistakes but having a usability team on the software I write and deliver now has opened up a whole new view to me of the way computing software is used and perceived by the many varying users and levels of experience.

I hope CDBurnerXP has a chance to really go through a usability and visual design review in the near future to make it an even better product then it already is.

lol

A button I can click. There is no thought involved, it is a natural inclination to click a button if I think it is what I need to do to accomplish the task I have in mind. If it isn't a button I don't know it is clickable therefore I am left guessing as to what purpose the screen has, apart from the text and an icon beside it.

So this means the Start Menu in windows is hard to understand as well? You open the menu you move the mouse over the alternatives and it gets marked blue. Not much will happen before you click the selected item there either. Buttons do invite to be clicked and so does something that get marked when you have the mouse pointer over it.

Options need to be made obvious and not just to new users. Why change the button metaphor and confuse the user. This is a problem much of computing software suffers from. Built by developers for developers with no idea what the average user needs from the application.

It is quite obvious as it is now i believe only it works like menu selection rather than a bunch of buttons.

Don't think I am attacking you on this issue. I am actually speaking from a developers perspective and I still make these mistakes but having a usability team on the software I write and deliver now has opened up a whole new view to me of the way computing software is used and perceived by the many varying users and levels of experience.

I don't think you are attacking, i do think you were way to fast in slapping this current idea though(you have only seen a screen shot) I value your input as much as someone elses and trust me there are as much opinions about this as there are users. The challange is to try not to annoy those more experienced and at the same time suit those who have a little less experience.

I hope CDBurnerXP has a chance to really go through a usability and visual design review in the near future to make it an even better product then it already is.

Thank you! Time is really the greatest factor here, a good day i get to spend 3h doing this and clearly that isnt enough.

I think it looks ok, though i must admit i did prefer flo's idea. However from what i can assume from the screenshot i'm guessing you double click the option you want? If that is the case perhaps you could add a "OK" button next to the cancel for those less experienced to click. Still keep the double click select option as well so's not to annoy those more advanced. (If i'm wrong, ignore me! :P )

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.