Sign in to follow this  
Guest MEmmu

[C] Burn ISO + erase + verification failed + crash

Guest MEmmu

I'm sorry but, WTF is wrong with CDBurnerXP nowadays? Bugs bugs and problems all the time.

Check this:

1) open CDBurnerXP

2) select "burn iso image"

3) select "ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso" to burn (disc at once P-W (DAO96), finalize on, verify on)

4) click "burn"

5) yes to "erase it now"

6) method fast, NO ejecting

7) click erase & yes

8) -> "successfully erased", OK

9) -> writing disc normally

10) -> "verification failed" window text: "The burning process has been completed, but the verification of the burned data failed. The data on the disc might be unusable." (MIGHT BE?! NICE, CDBurnerXP just guessing?!?, jeez)

11) Click OK

12 -> CDBurnerXP CRASH and "Microsoft Application Error Reporting" starts... error details below:

Error signature

AppName: cdbxpp.exe	 AppVer: 4.2.6.1748	 ModName: kernel32.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.5781	 Offset: 00012afb

At some point this worked with older versions of CDBurnerXP (same CD drive).

Do I really have to start looking for an alternative burner app? I rarely burn stuff and nowadays it seems that every time I need to burn something CDBurnerXP fails to do the job one way or the other.

What is the current situation with CDBurnerXP? Can somebody list what is currently wrong and what's the estimate on fixing those? I've glanced at some discussion about some other burning libraries (is CDBurnerXP currently using two different libraries?!) and problems/whatever with them. It's just stupid for a regular user who doesn't want to read everything (or god forbid, have to understand) what is written in the forums, when at the same time he/she is downloading constantly released stable updates, within a long period of time, which all contains serious bugs. I'm sorry but, something has to change if you want to keep your userbase! Don't constantly release new stable versions with serious bugs/new mixed libraries/whatever. I don't know.. I'm a developer myself and I'm just appalled of the current state of CDBurnerXP.

Sorry for ranting. I'm still with CDBurnerXP, but just barely. Hopefully you can fix the problems, or at least INFORM the users about the problems honestly and clearly.. OUTSIDE the forums would be ideal.

Thanks for reading.

Guest MEmmu

Little update/correction.

Step 12) -> CDBurnerXP ejects the disc, CDBurnerXP CRASH and "Microsoft Application Error Reporting" starts...

Ubuntu CD verification passed, so it was correctly burned after all. Why CDBurnerXP told that its verification failed?

Guest theguyotc

This happened to me as well, except I didn't do the erase step. Just burned the ubuntu ISO on Windows 7, and when it went to verify it failed and then CDBurnerXP crashed. I checked the CD using the built-in Ubuntu tool and it said the burn was fine.

I believe that I can easily fix this bug in the next version.

However, I don't like your ranting. Not because you do it, but because you don't name the problems. "which all contains serious bugs" is not a statement I can or want to comment on.

Guest MEmmu

"This bug"? Do you mean the crash after ejecting the CD? What about the verification failure? IIRC, that has been a long standing bug.

As for the "other bugs", you got me there.. but just because I don't/didn't have time to track down and test those bugs, those aren't existent. You should be aware of the major problems recently if you read this forum.

Thanks for reading & responding.

The crash bug actually. If the verification fails, there probably is a good reason. Writing errors may happen. If the data was actually written correctly, then the problem needs to be diagnosed.

You should be aware of the major problems recently if you read this forum.

Yep, but still I prefer knowing what exactly bothers you instead of just referring to existing topics in the forum. In particular, I believe that CDBurnerXP has not become more buggy recently, because I actually replaced the "buggy" burning library with a new one in some areas. This certainly introduces new bugs, but these can usually be fixed easily and then lead to a more stable software.

Guest not happy
This happened to me as well, except I didn't do the erase step. Just burned the ubuntu ISO on Windows 7, and when it went to verify it failed and then CDBurnerXP crashed. I checked the CD using the built-in Ubuntu tool and it said the burn was fine.

I also am facing the same problem.

With the same ISO.

But I'm not that lucky, the CD is unusable :-( I tried 4 times, nothing to do, just crashes when nearly finished (~97%) or during verification process.

Guest MEmmu
If the verification fails, there probably is a good reason. Writing errors may happen. If the data was actually written correctly, then the problem needs to be diagnosed.

Well, me and "theguyotc" (3rd post) both had failed verification in CDBurnerXP, BUT successful test with the built-in Ubuntu tool. I don't know how thorough the Ubuntu checker is but I've to believe that the CD is fine if it says so* (of course there could be bugs in it as well)... there's no point of making a checker that won't check everything, right?

* plus I've seen this CDBurnerXP failing verification before with older versions too (can't remember details anymore) and every time the CD was fine. And like I said, I believe that there's verification problem reports already present here in this forum.

Guest theguyotc
The crash bug actually. If the verification fails, there probably is a good reason. Writing errors may happen. If the data was actually written correctly, then the problem needs to be diagnosed.

I was able to successfully install Ubuntu using the burned CD that failed verification and then crashed CDBurnerXP, so it appears just to be a verification thing.

BTW- Since this is my first (well, second) post on the forums, just wanted to say I've been using the software for a while and really appreciate your work.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.